Addo home of the East Cape Kudu

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Peter Betts

Addo home of the East Cape Kudu

Post by Peter Betts »

I finally got the sales deal I was working on for 4 years yesterday ..So today I rewarded myself and pre dawn drove the 43 kms to the Addo South Gate. >> to practice with the new camera which is a total beast ..Huge learning curve ahead ..Anyway I found a few subjects to practice on ..and this superb East Cape Kudu obliged and from 200 metres away walked right up to my silent switched off car for this pic. The East Cape Kudu differs from the say Kruger Kudu by being slightly smaller bodied and shorter horns generally. A Good bull in these parts grows good horns to 45 inches and is then a very good hunting trophy (2 seasons in the Eastern Cape {not 4} ..Cricket season and hunting season =O: =O: ) however I estimate this boy to be 51-52 inches ..Superb by local standards and Kruger standards too !! E Cape Kudu also have beautiful long colourful beards much to the envy of their northern cousins
Domkrag Kudu Bull.jpg

Peter Betts

Re: Addo home of the East Cape Kudu

Post by Peter Betts »

It clouded over a little bit later in the morning and these 2 stroppy teenager Bulls arrived and tried to scare me !! Lovely no shadow light. I saved a full res version which was 58.7 M bytes !!! ..This online version was reduced to 330 k bytes so all the goodness has been stripped away and further so by posting online ..but the large version will make a beaut canvas A0+++..hopefully some Texan will buy it :-0 :-0 :-0 ..Hapoor dam here is like Nsemane dam is to Satara ..iconic...blessed to live so
Hapoor stroppy Bulls.jpg
close

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The Kudu in the top pick had a buddy who was equally impressive for an East Cape Kudu
2nd Kudu.jpg

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I Loved this scene early this morning at Lismore waterhole Addo ..Real East Cape Scene in the Sub Tropical Thicket
Juv Elephant.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Those horns are real jewels ^Q^ ^Q^ The second kudu looks a bit thin and worn, although the horns are long :-(

The ellie pics are lovely \O

So, are you happy with the new toy?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Yip the 2nd Kudu is thin ..I think he has been visiting the ladies too much ..lots of interest in breeding amongst the kudu at the moment in Addo. Yes HAPPY with the toy BUT its very uncompromising

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Another walk Past at Hapoor dam Addo this morning
Walk Past Hapoor.jpg

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I think that the East Cape Kudu is the most handsome of all African Kudu
Shy Kudu Bull.jpg

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Friday is certainly better than the week end proper to visit Addo ..It was just me and this ellie arriving for a drink at Hapoor dam..Note the herd of East Cape Kudu Cows in the background ..ideal habitat in the Sub Tropic Thicket ...perfect for Kudu , Bushpig, and Black Rhino
Arriving at Hapoor.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Addo Kudu! Not a pic like yours, but a nice bull ;-)
IMG_2823.JPG
IMG_2823.JPG (199.47 KiB) Viewed 762 times

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”