How big is your holiday footprint

Helping you to be a Responsible Tourist
okie

How big is your holiday footprint

Post by okie »

The school holidays are still in full swing , and with the usual fantastic weather conditions in South Africa at this time of the year , people just flock to the outdoors , and of course , especially to beaches .
This past weekend ( a long-weekend nogal ) was no exception , with all major beaches around the coastline crowded by 1000's of sunseekers .
And here's a report showing Durban beaches having been visited by around 800 000 ( !!! ) people during this period .
Wonderfull isn't it ?

On the other hand , the real negative part is the amount of rubbish that people take to beaches , and just discard it there ........ 0*\

According to this report , the local cleansing authorities collected more than 306 340 TONS ( that is 306 340 000 kilograms ) of trash 0*\ .

Over three days :shock: :shock: :shock:

That relates to about 383 kilograms of trash per person , man , woman , children, babies ........ 0*\ 0*\

What do people take to beaches @#$ @#$

800,000 visit Durban beaches over New Year weekend: report
13/27

5 hrs ago

EMAIL

DURBAN – Almost 800,000 people visited Durban’s beaches over the New Year festive weekend, according to the eThekwini Metro Municipality.

Municipal spokesman Mandla Nsele said: “With sunny weather conditions throughout the long-weekend, beaches were packed to capacity, as families and friends enjoyed the surf. Needless to say, lifeguards, law enforcement officers and other officials were kept on their toes and had to work hard to offer assistance where it was required and ensure that law and order was maintained.”

He said that “close to 800,000” visited the beaches from 30 December to 1 January. With Monday also being a scorcher of a day, it was not yet known how many people visited beaches, especially as many holiday makers started making the long trip back inland.

Nsele said that more than 500 people had to be treated for various ailments, mainly blue-bottle stings and cuts, while 186 rescues were carried out by the life guards.

A 34-year old man drowned at the city’s Mnini Beach on Saturday. The beach is not a bathing beach manned by life guards.

Ntsele urged people to only bathe at beaches manned by lifeguards and to heed the instructions of lifeguards.

There were 424 children who were separated from their parents and guardians, but most had been reunited with their parents.

At the time of writing there were still three children who had not been reunited with their parents.

Authorities issued 37,444 child identification tags over the three days.

There were 33 people arrested for various offences at the beach, including harassment, public drinking and theft.

“An estimated 306,430 tons of refuse was collected over the long weekend,” he said.

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: How big is your holiday footprint

Post by Richprins »

O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

O/ O/
Lack of common sense (0!)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

O** O**

Nowadays this is a "touchy" subject --00--

The truth just gets you in trouble if posted 0:

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmmm...... why should environmental pollution be a " touchy " subject B.C :-?

Somehow I get the feeling that you are looking upon this as being racist ? Why ?

We are all members of this forum because we care . Care about the environment . And that environment comprises and covers the whole planet , not just a few hectares around a few National parks . And we are trying to make people aware that is not acceptable to chuck their rubbish around willy-nilly , whether it takes place in Kruger Park , or on the moon :O^
Or am I wrong :-?
If we see someone throw a banana peel out of his car window in Kruger , then we shout and jump up and down , and call them idiots , and roll around on the floor , tear our hair , and threaten to stay away from the park @#$
But when we see someone leave a bit a pile of rubbish on the beach , then it becomes a " touchy " subject :X:

If that is the case , then something has gone seriously wrong with this world .
Maybe I am in the wrong forum , and should not have commented on the newspaper article .........................

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

If that is the case , then something has gone seriously wrong with this world .
I'm afraid that is the case :-(

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja...people litter too much, okie? :yes:

Not sure about the 380 kg per person...one would suspect it is rubbish from over the year? Or a typo? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

okie wrote:Hmmmm...... why should environmental pollution be a " touchy " subject B.C :-?

Somehow I get the feeling that you are looking upon this as being racist ? Why ?
I’m not saying it’s racist and I agree with you :-?

I live in KZN and visit these beaches more than anyone on this forum and litter isn’t an issue for the majority of the year, so why is it an issue at this time of the year :-?

I’m saying it’s a touchy subject at the moment due to media reports on other social media platforms which are causing a stir. The definition and understanding of “responsible tourism” is very different. Are there similar problems on the crowded Mediterranean or Cape beaches, no, hence why

It boils down to education and a respect for your environment and SA has a long road to travel in this area still. 0:

It was far worse last year BTW, so there's at least a movement in a positive direction

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

Me again,

More popular Cape Beaches have this problem especially during holiday season. St James, Kalk Bay on going with the tiny space and the tidal pools and Fish Hoek Beach,
i.e. glass bottles on the catwalk being thrown into the sea, never mind general rubbish, dirty nappies, used condoms, other used personal hygiene products, etc
and Noordhoek and long Beach are not really safe, also ongoing. Mind you on our trip around surprised at how clean Eastern Cape was, compared to 18 months previously but the Northern Cape towns are filthy, disgustedly so.

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll

Return to “Your Holidays - Responsible Tourism”