Coal Mining on the southern boundary of iMfolozi

Information and Discussions on Mining Issues
Flutterby

Coal Mining on the southern boundary of iMfolozi

Post by Flutterby »

Say NO to Ibutho Coal and its Fuleni Anthracite Project!

Ibutho Coal (Pty) Ltd has put in an application to mine coal on the southern boundary fence of the iMfolozi Wilderness Area, the first proclaimed wilderness in Africa. The Fuleni Anthracite Project is set to be given the green light on 6 June 2014 to open a coal mine that would desecrate the iMfolozi Wilderness Area for current and future generations. We must show Ibutho Coal and the SA government that the iMfolozi Wilderness Area is sacrosanct and that there is overwhelming world-wide opposition to proceeding with this mining application. We want uBuntu not Ibutho. We want humanity and compassion not a destructive polluting coal mine!!

The iMfolozi Wilderness Area, lies at the heart of the Zulu Kingdom and was sacred to the Zulu people in the time of Shaka. Itis also situated in the historic Hluhluwe-iMfolozi-Park (HIP), the oldest protected area in Africa, proclaimed in 1895, and the core of conservation in KwaZulu-Natal. It was home to the last remaining White Rhino in the 1890s and currently supports the densest concentration of rhino in the world but its rhino population is under constant threat of being slaughtered for rhino horn for the insatiable medicine trade in China and Vietnam. The mine will irreparably compromise the integrity of the wilderness area and make it easier for poachers to enter the park.

Since the proclamation of the iMfolozi Wilderness Area in 1958, many thousands of local and international visitors have shared the excitement of a wilderness trail and slept on the African soil, surrounded by the sounds of the African bush and walking along natural game trails, without any evidence of other humans. This will soon be replaced with the noise, lights and pollution of the Fuleni Mine - if we let iButho Coal get the green light to mine. It will also sabotage a nationally approved plan and a global strategy supporting links between wild places and sustainable livelihoods of neighbouring communities.

This irreplaceable gem is the place that forged the unique friendship between Dr Ian Player and Magqubu Ntombela. Ian Player, the famous conservationist who started the Dusi canoe marathon in 1951 and established the first wilderness areas in South Africa, is best known for saving the white rhino from extinction in the 1960s.

Magqubu Ntombela comes from a courageous line of Zulu warriors and became Ian Player’s greatest mentor. He is recognised and respected in KZN as an important role model for the youth, and his nearby homestead is much-visited by wilderness trailists.

South Africa has no shortage of mines but a unique wilderness area with such a rich history can NEVER be replaced.

HELP SAVE the iMfolozi Wilderness Area by saying NO to the Fuleni Coal Mine and YES to keeping Wilderness Areas sacred.

Sign Petition

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: NO to proposed Fuleni coal mine at iMfolozi

Post by Richprins »

China today mines by far the largest share of global anthracite production, accounting for more than three-quarters of global output. Most Chinese production is of standard-grade anthracite, which is used in power generation. Increased demand in China has made that country into a net importer of the fuel, mostly from Vietnam, another major producer of anthracite for power generation, although increasing domestic consumption in Vietnam means that exports may be scaled back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthracite

I must say, we used to burn anthracite as a young family? Not scarce?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Re: Coal Mining on the southern boundary of iMfolozi

Post by Toko »

‘Proposed mine to despoil nature'

May 12 2014 11:45PM

SIHLE MAVUSO

Ezemvelo, the managers of the threatened Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park, is one of many entities that submitted comments on the proposed mine near the park.

The entity submitted its comment on Friday three days before the deadline over the proposed mine by the little known Ibutho Coal, a company based in Limpopo.

Entity spokesperson Musa Mntambo said they had forwarded their comment to the mining company’s consultant but declined to give any details.

“We have decided to advise the media to contact the consultant for further information,” Mntambo said.

However, Jacana Environmentals spokesperson Marietjie Eksteen the company handling objections and comments did not respond to questions sent to her.

The proposal for Fuleni coal mine just 40m from the boundary of this worldrenowned protected area – was put forward by the Ibutho Coal company.

The area is best known for saving the white rhino from extinction in the 1960s. Environmentalists say the mine will irreparably compromise the integrity of the wilderness area and make it easier for poachers to enter the park.

“We must show Ibutho Coal and the SA government that the Imfolozi Wilderness Area is sacrosanct and that there is overwhelming world-wide opposition to proceeding with this mining application.

We want ubuntu not Ibutho. We want humanity and compassion not a destructive polluting coal mine,” reads an online petition against the proposed mine.

There is also an active Facebook page, Save our Imfolozi Wilderness, which argues the mine would damage several areas. “It is in the Imfolozi catchment, which will affect the water quality at St Lucia mouth.

The mine is within a tropical cyclone impact zone.”

Lisbeth
Site Admin

The world’s greatest rhino sanctuary is under threat.

Post by Lisbeth »

The world’s greatest rhino sanctuary is under threat. Plans are underway to build a coal mine just 40m from the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi park in KwaZulu Natal. Rangers fear it will destroy the wilderness and clear the way for poachers, who have butchered 442 rhinos in South Africa this year alone but we can stop it if we act now.

A new Mineral Resources Minister has just taken office, and has a lot to prove. Let’s make this mine publicly toxic, an issue the new minister can’t ignore.

Click to join the urgent call to save the rhinos, and then tell everyone.

Because this is such an important issue, we’re working with our friends at Avaaz to make this as big as possible. But we can’t do it alone. Please sign the petition and then tell everyone about it on social media and email.

SIGN PETITION NOW

Hluhluwe-iMofolozi is the oldest natural park in Africa, credited with saving the white rhino from extinction. It’s also one of South Africa’s greatest natural treasures - home to a wealth of wildlife and extremely rich in biodiversity. And yet it could now be destroyed by yet another coal mine, which would pollute the surrounding area and potentially poison the world famous iSimangaliso wetlands downstream.

Together, we can show the government that South Africans value their remaining natural heritage far more than dirty coal. Add your name now and we’ll create a storm around the new Minister that will force him to scrap this project and forbid any future mining within the buffer zone around the park.
Mike Baillie

Thanks for playing your part,

Greenpeace is entirely reliant on caring people like you.
In order to remain independent, we do not accept funding from governments, corporations or political parties. We can't do it without your help.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Re: The world’s greatest rhino sanctuary is under threat.

Post by nan »

done \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: The world’s greatest rhino sanctuary is under threat.

Post by Mel »

\O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Duke

Post by Duke »

KZN community won't move for new coal mine

Pretoria - Community leaders in Kwambonambi in rural northern KwaZulu-Natal insist they will not accept relocation to pave the way for a proposed open-cast anthracite coal mine.

Elders say a cloud has hung over them since news broke that iButho Coal wants to establish the 14 615 hectare Fuleni anthracite coal mine on the western boundary of the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, the country's oldest nature reserve. It was proclaimed in 1895.

On Tuesday, one of a series of meetings was held under a thorn tree at the entrance to the Ndimande homestead.

Bhekukwenzelwa Ndimande, a community leader in the rural setting, is unwavering in his opposition to the colliery.

"They are proposing to mine right on our grazing fields. We are suffering already from the existence of mines in the neighbouring communities. Our houses are cracking," he said.

"We work closely with the nature reserve to ensure that no poachers roam into their conservation. Now that they want to relocate us, they leave the animals vulnerable."

Phila Ndimande agrees with his father Bhekukwenzelwa's argument.

Polluted water and mysterious diseases

"As it is, we are losing our livestock rapidly from mysterious diseases which we think are related to mining in this area. I have lost 18 head of cattle since June last year.

"There is blasting from the mines which are nearby. Our water resources for the cattle are polluted. Last weekend, I saw this dead bull on the banks of the Umfolozi River," Phila said, showing pictures of the dead animal on his cellphone.

Community leaders do not know where they would be relocated if the mining company gets its way.

The community's gripe with the mine is based on the risk of water, air, noise, and environmental pollution to humans and animals in the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi sanctuary.

Another community leader, Thulebona Mapumulo, says people are feeling insecure and anxious.

"We are going to meet at the chief's place next week. He wants everyone to attend, those in favour and those against the mine. We think the mine wants to divide our community before they start mining," Mapumulo said.

Mining-Affected Communities United in Action (Macua), a non-governmental organisation that represents people who live next to mines, believes the proposed mine will destroy the community.

According to the organisation, four villages will be affected. Macua said the mine owners had told them 120 people would be moved.

"These people here will lose their livelihoods. They are a self-sustaining community from the land. They will lose their grazing land, their forefathers' graves, and they are losing their cattle already," KwaZulu-Natal Macua co-ordinator Sfiso Dladla said.

"The community is facing a generational threat. iBhuto coal is proposing to operate for around 35 years, but that effect will last for a lifetime. We really hope that they do not get the mining licence because it will destabilise this community."

He says in neighbouring areas, where mining is already taking place, people feel they have been short-changed by mining companies.

"Not far from here, the Somkhele community has been destabilised since the Somkhele mine began operating in 2008. There has been no peace since then.

"Our role is to raise awareness in the community," Dladla said.

Global Environmental Trust coordinator Sheila Berry said a campaign called "Save our Umfolozi" has been set up to stop the proposed mine.

"Mining is one of the most damaging practices and South Africa has such a bad record. One of our objections to the mine is that a World Bank study found that African countries which build their economies on mining remain unequal. The richer get richer and the poor remain poor," said Berry.

"Are we prepared to destroy a sacred place that has immense value globally for coal that will go to China and India? People across the world are strongly opposed and horrified why there is even such a consideration."

Roger Porter, former head of conservation planning at Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife, said government faces a dilemma regarding proposed mines in human and animal habitats.

"One should understand that government has to ensure that the country's resources earn foreign income. The fact that the mines export this high-quality anthracite coal to countries like China is favourable to the economy and improves trade relations," said Porter.

"The fundamental problem is that the department of mineral resources is both referee and player in such matters. It has to promote mining and has to ensure that it plays according to the law."

International campaign network Avaaz wrote a letter, dated June 10, to Mineral Resources Minister Ngoako Ramatlhodi urging him to save Hluhluwe-iMfolozi.

Heightened poaching risk

According to the letter the proposed mine will not only increase the risk of poaching in the endangered rhino sanctuary, but risks polluting the rivers feeding the Unesco World Heritage-listed iSimangaliso wetlands.

An online petition on the Avaaz website has been signed by more than 47 000 people opposing the open-cast mine.

Mineral resources department spokesperson Ayanda Shezi said a report on the application for the Fuleni mine was still pending.

"The application was accepted by the department on the 27th January 2014. This application is still undergoing the normal environmental impact assessment (EIA) and environmental management plan report (EMPR) consultation process and the applicant is still required to submit EIA/EMPR with results of their public consultation process," said Shezi.

"It is at this point that the department will assess the results of consultations and if there are any objections, those will then be forwarded to the regional mining development and environmental committee for advice to the minister regarding the application."

The reports were required in terms of section 39 of the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Development Act.

Senior coal campaign manager at environmental group groundWork Robby Mokgalaka said the safety of communities was often not given priority when mining licences were granted.

"Kids are the most susceptible people in several communities we are working with. I think in the future, some communities will have to live with masks on due to the pollution levels from mines," Mokgalaka said.

"The communities where mining operations are currently being held do not benefit. Their only benefit is noise from the blasting, exploitation and health complications. The top-grade coal will be exported."

According to Wikipedia, the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park now has the largest population of white rhino in the world.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Fuleni Scoping Report for the proposed open cast coal mine on the southern boundary of the iMfolozi available:

https://naledidev.sharefile.com/downloa ... f0a1414308

Toko

Post by Toko »

https://saveourwilderness.wordpress.com ... game-park/

Coal mine will blast peace for thousands near game park
March 18, 2015

By Tony Carnie
Life will never be quite the same for several thousand people next to Africa’s oldest game reserve and wilderness area if a massive new coal mine is blasted open underneath or next to their homes.

A new environmental scoping report on the controversial Ibutho coal mining venture on the southern borderline of the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi game reserve does not say exactly how many people will have to be moved from their homes.

But by examining maps of the proposed mine, existing village settlements and other data, it seems likely that several hundred people may have to abandon their houses, businesses, farming plots and/or ancestral graveyards if the project goes ahead.

The daily lives of more than 7 000 other people are also set to change dramatically as they find themselves living virtually on the doorstep of gigantic mining pits filled with the dust, noise and floodlights of a busy coal-mining operation.

The direct impacts will be there 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the next 32 years, according to a final environmental scoping report published this month

Apart from the blasting operations used to shatter and loosen anthracite coal from the bedrock, the report by the Jacana environmental consultancy suggests that noise from up to 200 coal trucks a day will radiate out to distances of around 1.5km during the day and about 3.5km at night.

These noise impacts are also set to shatter the tranquillity of the Imfolozi wilderness area, a specially protected 32 000 hectare zone of wilderness the late wildlife conservationist Ian Player helped establish to ensure that South Africa preserved some ancient wild spaces.
The mine is located just 100m from the wilderness boundary, with statistics from Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife showing that less than 1% of the country’s surface is protected as wilderness areas.

The Jacana report acknowledges that drilling and blasting could be a “significant” source of noise pollution within a radius of 3.5km but suggests some of these impacts could be reduced through modern blasting techniques.

The resulting air blasts could rattle windows and large roofs of nearby homes, while there was also a risk of flying rocks being tossed into the air and hitting various structures such as schools and community meeting places within 500m of the coal pit boundaries. Some residents told consultants they were worried that blasting could crack their homes.

The report is silent on exact numbers of who would have to move out, but by examining maps of the proposed mining fence line and the current layout of four neighbouring communities, it appears that the villagers of Ocilwane will be hardest hit as scores of homes there lie in the mining path.

Affected

Ocilwane has about 230 households, which could translate into about 1 900 people in total.

The village also has two schools, a clinic, some small-scale businesses, several worship sites, grazing land for cattle and crop fields next to the Mfolozi River.

Nearby, there are another 1 640 people in the Nthuthunga 1 village, some of whom could also be affected. This village also has two schools, a number of Shembe worship sites, small businesses, three community graveyards, a water storage dam, livestock grazing land and crop fields.

Ntuthunga 2 settlement has about 1 503 residents, a primary school, two community graveyards and vegetable gardens next to the river.

Another potentially affected community is Novunala, with 1 245 residents, one school, several small businesses, a community graveyard and livestock grazing land.

On the issue of relocation, the report says this should be avoided if possible, but if people have to be moved, they should be resettled in areas with fertile soil for growing crops.
The report shows there could be indirect impacts much further afield as the mine will require up to 2 190 megawatt hours of electricity a month and 105 million litres of water a month.

The report says the neighbouring Mfolozi River is already considered a water-stressed river and it is unlikely that the Department of Water Affairs would grant a water abstraction permit from this river.

Surface and groundwater in the vicinity of the mine could also be poisoned from acidic mine drainage and other contaminants from mining. One of the biggest risks is sulphuric acid, which is created when sulphides in the coal rock are exposed to oxygen and water from the mining process.

Underground mining could also cause the ground to subside.

“Very little can be done to combat subsidence in the mining environment. It is therefore evident that both underground and opencast mining could severely impact the hydropedelogical (water and soil) functioning of the area and therefore the quality and volume of water that flows towards the catchments towards the east.”

On the future use of the land when mining ceases in 32 years, the report says: “It is doubtful that the areas will ever function in the same manner as is presently the case from a hydropedological perspective.” This is because old mine pits, even after being filled in, would absorb more water run-off.

“Mining and rehabilitation will lead to a decrease in surface run-off from higher lying areas and therefore smaller volumes of water will reach the Mfolozi River. Pollution emanating from the mining areas could severely influence catchment areas that feed into the St Lucia wetland system.”

Some of the soils in the mining area are also highly susceptible to erosion and there is a likelihood of gulley erosion that would carry more silt into the Mfolozi River and its tributaries.

See the infographic at http://iol.io/b96rj

What the company is offering

Given the widespread social and environmental effects of the proposed coal mine, what is the mining company offering in return?

According to Jacana, the Ibutho project hoped to generate 200 permanent jobs, possibly increasing to about 400 ‘job opportunities’ after about five years.
‘Ibutho has set a target to ensure that at least half these opportunities are allocated to the local communities.’

As part of its social labour plan, Ibutho planned to offer adult basic education and training, core business training, artisan training, learnerships, bursaries and internships to the value of R6.6 million over the first five years.

This would include |22 bursaries in mechanical, electrical, human resources and geology, as well as |31 learning opportunities for machine operators, truck drivers, health, safety and human resources staff, mechanics, electricians, or fitters and turners.

Ibutho would also support education and small business projects worth R2m in the first five years and hoped to provide communities with local procurement and SMME business opportunities and possible equity participation.

Ibutho described its Fuleni coal mining project as a |44.9% black economic empowerment shareholding, of which at least 5% free carry share equity was offered to a community shareholding trust.

It said most of Ibutho’s directors and shareholders were black entrepreneurs. The report did not name them all, but appendices in the report listed some of them as Thomas Ignatius Borman, Johan van den Berg, Locksley Pege, Menzi Gqwetha and Thembi Myeni.

The names of the directors and shareholders of Ibutho’s holding company were not listed, although Wasat Investments and Chlorosys Investments jointly hold a 58.95% shareholding in Ibutho Coal.

Also buried among the annexures are the minutes of a ‘volatile and emotional’ community meeting between Ibutho, consultants and local people at Siyokomane Primary School on September 21. The minutes showed the meeting was held in a ‘clearly hostile atmosphere’.
The Ibutho presentation could not take place.

Return to “Mining and Other Extraction Issues”