The Faceless Lions of Mozambique

Lisbeth
Site Admin

The Faceless Lions of Mozambique

Post by Lisbeth »

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: The Faceless Lions of Mozambique

Post by Lisbeth »

The above article is very interesting and reveals how quickly lions can disappear from a given landscape.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks Lis. \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

*tag*

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Do you mean *tak*? ;-)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

No, I mean *tag*... too tired to read the article tonight, but want to come back to it :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

lol Go to bed \O \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I was curious about the title before reading, now I'm appalled O-/

And once the Mozambicans have finished off their own populations, the Kruger lions will meet the same fate as the rhinos :evil:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Yep, that's what makes it even more scary O-/

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south- ... ody-parts/

Study finds lions face new threat -poaching and trade in their body parts
05 November 2019 - 13:12
BY ERNEST MABUZA
The study presented data from field surveys conducted in the Mozambican portion of the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area between 2011 and 2018.

Governments and conservationists should adopt holistic and collaborative approaches to preventing and halting the poaching of and trade in the body parts of lions.

This call is contained in a new study which provides evidence of this emerging threat to African lion conservation.

The study, published in October in international journal Biodiversity and Conservation, warns that this growing threat could have a devastating affect on lion populations, mirroring similar affects on wild tiger populations.

The study presented data from field surveys conducted in the Mozambican portion of the Greater Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area, an area between SA, Mozambique and Zimbabwe, between 2011 and 2018.

“We documented 49 lion deaths caused by humans across the study area during the entire study period,” the study said.

The targeted poaching of lions for body parts accounted for 35% of known human-caused mortalities across the landscape, it added.

The researchers also found that retaliatory killing for livestock conflict accounted for 51% of mortalities, but body parts were removed in 48% of conflict cases, suggesting that the demand for body parts was escalating conflict killings.

Teeth and claws were the parts most frequently harvested, with an alarming and dramatic increase from 2014.

“We recorded reports of four cases where lion body parts were confiscated in Mozambique between 2013 and 2017. Of these known cases, canine teeth and claws were confiscated twice, skin, meat and fat once and a full skeleton once.”

The study said two shipments of teeth and claws were confiscated by Mozambican government authorities in 2016 at an international airport. They were destined for Vietnam, with one of the seizures including a combination of lion parts and elephant ivory.

Lead author of the study, Dr Kris Everatt, Panthera’s bushmeat poaching programme manager, said lions already faced a litany threats, from dwindling prey populations to conflict with cattle farmers.

Everatt said the study demonstrated that lions were increasingly confronting the threat of poaching for body parts, often under the guise of human-lion conflict.

He said factors driving this type of poaching remained poorly understood, but that the number of carcasses of captive-bred lions exported from SA had grown exponentially since 2007.

This trade fed a growing market among upwardly mobile Asians for luxury products, such as lion bone wine, with lion bones used in place of tiger bones, as tiger parts become increasingly scarce.

Return to “Lions and Other Endangered Animals Management and Poaching”