SANParks' website info not up to date

Information & Discussions on Mapungubwe National Park
Toko

SANParks' website info not up to date

Post by Toko »

Just in case anyone is planning a trip to Mapungubwe NP and searching for info. What you find on the official website is not up to date.
Limpopo Forest Tented Camp

This camp, situated in the Limpopo riverine forest which offers excellent birding, is located in the western section of the Park. The camp is close to the Maloutswa Pan hide.
The hide has been destroyed in Jan 2013 and is not re-errected. So game viewing in this section is not very good for visitors as there are not many roads for game viewing and the main attraction was the fantastic hide.

Do the Tree Top Walk or a Game Drive

Take a walk among the riverine forest on a raised canopy walk that takes you to a hide over looking the Limpopo River.
Tree Top boardwalk hide is also destroyed and not yet fixed, you can not walk close to the river, though part of the boardwalk is still there and accessible.

Fuel Stations: Petrol/ Diesel

There is no fuel station inside the park. The closest fuel station is at Dongola filling station about 30km east of the park. The other filling stations are in Musina 70km and All days 65km from the main gate.
The Dongola petrol station is closed and does not exist any more.

And take note: The Den Staat road that links the western and eastern sections is still closed und you must take the long route to get to the eastern side if you don't have a 4x4 (a public road and not SANParks' fault but it would be nice to have this information available prior to booking on the western side :-) )

In a nutshell: Nothing has changed since my last visit in August 2013 -O-

0/* SANParks

it would be really great and useful if you could update your website ^Q^ O0 and provide the important informations for your visitors to this great National Park.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: SANParks' website info not up to date

Post by Mel »

Thanks that you did hear at least, Toko. O0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Toko

Post by Toko »

Have been there again, Mel :-)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, I gathered so much. The "hear" is a typo... 0*\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks for doing SP's job Toks!! \O \O ;-)

arks

Post by arks »

thanks for these updates Toko. O0 I am visiting at the end of October and it's very helpful to know about the Den Staat Road. I had checked directly with the (new and also not updated on the SP website) park manager about the state of the hides etc as confusing misinformation had been given on the SP forum (by a mod :-? ).

Does anyone here know about the bridge or/and detour between the park and Mussina? I will be heading on to Pafuri, so need to know what to expect.

Toko

Post by Toko »

The road to Musina is open, bridgne not re-built, but a comfy drive around \O

You can drive around the broken bridge on the Den Staat road too, with a 4x4 (not comfy) ;-)

The tents in the Forest Tented camp get refurbishment, so not all of them available for booking.

arks

Post by arks »

Thanks, Toko O0 Is the detour on the Mussina road well signposted? Since I won't have a 4x4, it will be the long way round to the tented camp -- and thanks for the heads up on the refurbishments at the tented camp, hope it's not too intrusive!

Toko

Post by Toko »

It's not a detour, just next to the old bridge a "drive around crossing the riverbed" - don't worry \O

I think they do only two tents at a time and it was not loud when I was there \O

arks

Post by arks »

Thanks for those additional details, Toko \O

Return to “Mapungubwe National Park”