Comments on Kruger management Plan 2018/2028

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Comments on Kruger management Plan 2018/2028

Post by Richprins »

\O We shall never surrender, though! O:V

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

Richprins wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:27 am \O We shall never surrender, though! O:V
Well I suppose it depends on what you mean by surrender. I have, in a way, surrendered to the management plan in that I accept that it will happen. But I will never surrender my disagreement with or antagonism to those future developments. I will not surrender my thoughts on what Kruger should be but I accept that we were actually ignored/manipulated in terms of our input in this respect (and the we I'm referring to here are those who have been going to Kruger for years; not the historically disavantaged and poverty-stricken people bordering the park. I hope they will at least get some help and benefit although I'd prefer it not to be a simplistic placebo such as carcasses)'

So you see I'm in Dichotomyland. Sigh. Anyway, you guys have done your absolute best and I thank you for that.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

"Us" guys! :X:

lol 0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

:-) O0

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

Big news as Kruger National Park 10-year management plan approved by Minister

https://africageographic.com/blog/big-n ... -minister/

South Africa’s Acting Minister of Environmental Affairs Derek Hanekom has officially approved the ground-breaking and visionary 10-year Kruger National Park Management Plan, a huge step forward for ambitious plans to expand Kruger’s conservation footprint across international borders and to incorporate a wide spectrum of landowners and land uses. The formal signing of the Plan on 5 December will kick-start the emergence of the 10 million-hectare Great Limpopo Transfrontier Conservation Area (GLTFCA) as a world-leading conservation initiative. The Plan will guide the Kruger’s strategic direction and operations in relation to broader regional land use for the next ten years, and is a major catalyst within the Greater Kruger regional socio-economic landscape.

Find out more:

The 259-page Plan is essential reading for Kruger fans who enjoy debating the issues that the Kruger management team has to deal with on a regular basis, such as problem-animal management, hotels in Kruger, removal of international border fences and trophy hunting of free-roaming wildlife on reserves adjoining Kruger. Read our brief summary of the plan here.

Also of relevance to this report is the previously-released elephant management plan. Please also read Kruger history and future to better understand Kruger.

How was the Plan compiled?

The Plan was reviewed over a period of 18 months, with extensive consultation through 54 public and thematic focus group meetings. Stakeholders from local and district municipalities, other organs of state, traditional authorities, private sector, NGOs, CBOs, etc., were consulted through public meetings, focus groups meetings, and written inputs. Workshops were conducted in 11 local Greater Kruger towns/villages, and within four ‘metros’. A total of 5,762 people attended the meetings, whilst a further 483 written inputs were received to comment on the draft Management Plan.

Criticism:

There has been criticism of the Plan, largely focusing on issues such as the role that trophy hunting plays in some of the buffer reserves incorporated into the GLTFCA, with some people calling for fences between Kruger National Park and certain private reserves to be put up again.

One organisation, Global March for Elephants and Rhinos, called for a delay in approval, despite the lengthy consultation period already undertaken. They criticised the inclusion of “5-star resort amenities in and around Kruger National Park” which they felt would bring about a “landscape of fear”. They referred to the Plan as “harking back to Kruger’s late 19th century roots and colonial sensibilities of deluxe safaris”. They also objected to activities such as elephant-back riding being noted in the Plan as already being offered in buffer areas, even though this controversial activity was clearly marked in the Plan as being not appropriate for the Kruger National Park. Other activities mentioned in the Plan and similarly rejected as not being suitable in buffer areas near the Kruger National Park, include clay pigeon shooting and golf courses.

Concluding thoughts:

The broad principle of the 10-year Kruger National Park Management Plan is that it is better to surround the core protected area of Kruger National Park with a buffer zone – land that is also managed in a similar way, albeit with different expectations (hunting, tourism). Rather that, than have sugar cane fields, citrus orchards and livestock farms on Kruger’s borders.

Africa Geographic CEO, Simon Espley:
“The Kruger National Park 10-year Management Plan is immensely exciting, because it is all about expanding an already highly successful 2-million-hectare national park conservation model to a mouth-watering 10 million hectares of conservation land that spans several countries and many precious ecosystems. This visionary and brave plan has the potential to place southern Africa firmly at the forefront of finding solutions to meet the complex demands of a variety of interest groups with vested interests in their own natural areas. No plan is perfect, so there will be problems, mistakes and drama. And there will be parties calling for change and even scrapping of the Plan. This is all part and parcel of the evolutionary process by which Plans improve over time. I have little doubt that over time the less savoury practices we currently endure, such as trophy hunting and elephant-back riding, will be extirpated, thanks largely to the ongoing energetic work of a small band of dedicated activists. But for now, the focus is on this 10-year Kruger National Park Management Plan, and I for one am totally behind it.”
KNP-approval.pdf
(29.28 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Normally after a very short time span the 10 years' plan is more or less forgotten and all kinds of new "games" turn up, which has nothing to do with conservation. Well, there are already a lot of those included in the plan :O^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The 259-page Plan is essential reading for Kruger fans who enjoy debating the issues that the Kruger management team has to deal with

:no: Well, our debating came up against a brick wall. Rubber Stamping comes to mind.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

\O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Public Participation - Kruger Management Plan”