Lower Sabie Rest Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Bushcraft

Re: State of the tents at lower Sabie

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:But no excuse for the plumbing stuff? No point in waiting for refurbishment, rather market the tent at R500 per night less and say so? -O-
\O \O Agreed

I posted a similar thing about the so called luxury tents at Tamboti, especially the well known number 40 which is meant to be the "best". I have a problem when you don't get what you pay for :evil:

If any accommodation doesn't meet the required standard according to the price range then the accommodation must be marketed as discounted or removed from the equation until it's revamped. I fear an understanding of this and the ability to make this call correctly is missing though O**

As far as I know all these tents are slowly getting renovated though :-? but then marketed at substantially more money O/

okie

Post by okie »

Bushcraft wrote:
Richprins wrote:But no excuse for the plumbing stuff? No point in waiting for refurbishment, rather market the tent at R500 per night less and say so? -O-
\O \O Agreed

If any accommodation doesn't meet the required standard according to the price range then the accommodation must be marketed as discounted ..........
I have travelled by motor vehicle to almost every town in South Africa , and I have travelled by car to many places in Europe .
And I have travelled by car through at least 36 states of the USA , and the only place that you I have ever seen where such discounts can be negotiated is in the USA -- nowhere else 0*\ .
It does not happen in South Africa 0*\

Enough is enough
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

I think we as SA are just too accepting of sub standard service and goods. It is our fault as we tend to accept the sub standard service or make excuses for it on behalf of the service provider. This tent being a good example, some on socal media say unacceptable and others saying it is the bush or you are there on holiday and it could be worse.
These tents have had the baboon problem for years, generally South Africans are an innovative people, yet here we are years later with the same problem of baboons trashing tents and repairs being done. It does not appear as if someone is trying to do a preventative measure (e.g. Make the windows solid frames and windows, I have seen it on safari tents elsewhere). They will just keep repairing and baboons will keep trashing and we will do it all again tomorrow. O/ O/

I was in the BD3U units last couple of days. There was old mound on wall, paint peeling, plaster chunks out of wall in bathroom and around door frame, none of doors opened or closed easily, they were all jamming, cupboard doors in bathroom broken (bit of glue and a clamp and 5 minutes work and it would be right), stove had 2 settings off and high and had to be turned off at wall isolator. Toilet roll holder with loose screws, curtain rails with loose screws. Dont know when place was last cleaned properly (mopping imo is just moving dirt around) Every BD3U I have stayed in last couple of times has had similar issues, small things but at the same time they are small things that can be fixed quickly by a competent person and should be done as part of maintenance. It should not be up to the guests to complain for it to be fixed, you have cleaning people etc in there every day and this should be reported and fixed immediately, especially if you are charging for a unit and I don't care if the cost is minimal or high, it is part of your offering.

My feeling was the whole maintenance leaves a lot to be desired and I saw it at a couple of camps and it boils down to management not managing properly. Why can a camp like Shingwedzi have it down pat and a place like Lower Sabie can't.

okie

Post by okie »

RT , you are getting to the point \O We see these things , and we complain about , but do we complain at the correct place for it .
Lower Sabie is an old camp , very popular , but it is " tired " , and certainly needs a lot of upgrading and fixing . But , its popularity makes it into a money spinner . The overseas guest is here today , gone tomorrow , and he accepts whatever his booking agent has been able to give him . And he pays up front , and he may or may not complain to his booking agent after he gets back home .
And , local guests , as you say , do not complain , but if they do , they shout it about within their social circle , and therefore nothing is done about it .

Shingwedzi have built up a proud tradition of being a great camp , and the staff is very proud of their camp being awarded best camp year after year . They are approachable , and response to complaints etc is quick .

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

See below, okie! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

:-? -O- ---- Hmmm ........ it's Friday afternoon , maybe I should just shut up , be thankful for my numerous blessings ( which I am ) , forget about it , and live in a state of bliss and oblivion for the rest of my life O**

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

agree with all
and again : shame so beautiful tents in the park, and beautiful camp too 0*\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

okie wrote::-? -O- ---- Hmmm ........ it's Friday afternoon , maybe I should just shut up , be thankful for my numerous blessings ( which I am ) , forget about it , and live in a state of bliss and oblivion for the rest of my life O**
See below means the link in my signature to "Needs Attention"...that has worked well over the years, we should start it up again, no problems! It skips the beureaocratic higher-ups! ;-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

So this has now gotten to this stage that today Sanparks are sending out mails to those booked into tents that they are cancelling 2017/2018. Options being offered are refunds,trying to find accomodation at sister camps or letting stay in the "better" of these tents.

Really sad that negligence is ruining people'say dream holidays...

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Some facilities have designated employees simply chasing baboons away all day, very effective! And creates employment! ;-) \O

Return to “Camps of Kruger”