Mkuze Game Reserve

Information & Discussion on Mkuze
brucebru

Re: Mkuze Game Reserve

Post by brucebru »

I have had the privilege to have stayed at Mantuma 3 times in the last year. The communal rest huts offer the best value-for-money accommodation of any park in the country I believe and the fact that there are no fences makes for a wonderful (if a tad hair-raising when going to the bathroom) experience - in March there was a large herd of impala permanently camped outside our unit and we had a genet visiting us at the braai both nights.

Apart from the birds, the hides are excellent, the scenery is breath-taking and people do sometimes have sightings of the cheetah, dogs and lion. But the real charm of the reserve is the amazing sense of quiet and tranquillity. It is possible to drive for several hours without seeing another car.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Nice, Bruce! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Sounds very attractive \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It is a lovely park. :yes: We also had impala sleeping outside our huts at Mantuma. ;-)

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Flutterby wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm It is a lovely park. :yes: We also had impala sleeping outside our huts at Mantuma. ;-)
..I hear it is still super but the infrastructure is looking a bit sad and run down

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Also heard that. So sad that everything is left to deteriorate. :-(

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Just like all the infrastructures in SA and lots of Sanparks accommodations *sigh!*

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Yep, nothing unusual! :O^

brucebru

Post by brucebru »

We were actually there last month and must give credit where credit is due. One can see they are really making an effort...
The communal ablutions for the rest huts had been redone and are now some of the best communal facilities available at any camp I have been to. Additionally the pool was actually looking BLUE:) and the fridge at reception was fully stocked with game meat.

Unfortunately the game viewing was a bit difficult due to the extremely high grass as a result of the late rains... doesn't seem like anyone has spotted the lions or the dogs in some time, which is a bit of a concern. We did, however, get a nice sighting of a hyena walking right past us on the tar road and a stunning up close shot of a crowned eagle.

Btw my 10 week old's first big 5 sighting... a leopard on the road towards Cape Vidal O/\ O\/ Not too shabby hey?

BravoEen

Post by BravoEen »

Pics or it didn't happen! :-0

"Permanence, perseverance, persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, impossibilities: It is this that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the week." - Thomas Carlyle.

"The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success." - Bruce Feirstein.

I don't live in Africa, Africa lives in me. - A guy who's name I can't remember

Return to “Mkuze Game Reserve”