The ABC of the KNP.

Michele Nel

Re: The ABC of the KNP.

Post by Michele Nel »

Flutterby wrote:
Michele Nel wrote: By now you may also be wondering what Birds Captured 2015 is all about…. well it is a Facebook Group that I started in 2013.
I love this idea. I guess it's too late to start for 2015 now but I hope you do it again in 2016! ^Q^

Great bird sightings to start with! \O
Thx Flutterby.. and never fear I will be starting a new Birds Captured 2016 group. I will come looking for you ! \O

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Richprins wrote:Brilliant, beknighted beginner birder! ^Q^

Basic bottlestore bugbears, but beautiful blessings boding? 0()

B is for beer! lol
If Rob was writing this trip report B for Beer and Braai would feature big time... O** :)

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Dewi wrote:Absolutely Belting Captures Despite Exposure & F-stop Gremlins Hindering Images. Jisslaaik Kiekies! Love Michel Nel's Outdor Photos, Quite Remarkable. Staying Tuned Until Vultures, Wildebeest & Xenographic Young Zebras. \O

P.S. I was refering to the two blurds pics only with the gremlins bit as I could not fit anything else in.
Oh my word Dewi...you are very clever... ^Q^ I may have to send you a pm when I get stuck for words...
Not that I am often stuck for words...wahahahaha !!! :)

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Mel wrote:How wonderful that you're doing a travel tale again! O\/ I always enjoy your humour and I don't think I have to say anything about the quality of your pix.
Always superb as well. ^Q^ Although I'm quite happy to see that you're mere mortal with your camera as well and manage to get some blurred shots too. lol lol lol
:) I am an absolute pro at taking Blurds Mel.... I do believe it takes immense skill to take a 100% perfect Blurd...not easy you know. O**

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Thank you all for the lovely comments...and the good laughs. =O: C is for ....will be coming up shortly.
I do have to tell you though that when I arrived back from Kruger on Sunday my hubby was at the airport to fetch us. He told me to look in the boot as there was a surprise in there for me....sadly it was not a 500mm lens . :-( BUT when I opened the boot my daughter from New Zealand fell out O\/ O\/ O\/ and my gorgeous Grandson was sitting ever so quietly in his car seat in the Kombi. Of course this surprise visit is way better than a 500mm lens O\/ ...it just means I am a bit busy playing Granny...but the show will go on...:)

nan

Post by nan »

what a super nice surprise O\/ O\/ O\/ ... big hug to Megan and the little Sam 0/0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Great start ^Q^ ^Q^

Nice to meet your birding buddies O:V

Flat camera battery and plenty BAD words =O: =O: =O: 0:

3 down 97 to go 0()

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

What a great surprise for you!! \O \O No rush here. ;-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

What a nice surprise O/\ O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Thx all ..for your lovely comments. And as I promised the show will go on ....

C is for Camps , Cell Phone Photos, Chef of Note and Crocodiles.

Rookie is our tour operator and boy does she do a good job. ^Q^ O0 This time round we stayed at Letaba, Shingwedzi, Mopani, Tamboti and Skukuza. Good choice of camps, Rookie. :-) I enjoyed all of these CAMPS ..each one offering something different. Letaba, Mopani and Tamboti were good for birding…Skukuza is close to Lake Panic and Shingwedzi enabled us to explore virgin territory in the north. But more about the CAMPS in later posts.

Finally I have learnt the art of taking CELL PHONE PHOTOS. :O^ It is not as easy as it sounds. Keeping track of my phone (leaving my phone in the bathroom was not the only time I lost track of it ) and keeping it charged is really too much for me to cope with. 0*\ But with the help of Rob who kept charging it for me and Rookie who kept reminding me to take the photos I managed to take a fair amount of photos with it. ^Q^ I still don’t think they are amazing quality that many people think they are but they do help to tell a story …. and to snap a quick photo of our CHEF of NOTE.

Rob is quite a handy fellow to have around - he makes a good cup of tea and takes his braaiing duties very seriously….that is when he remembers to buy firelighters…. 0*\

CROCODILES..now what is so special about Crocodiles that they deserve a mention in this birding trip report. :-? Well it was a CROCODILE …..a monster size CROCODILE that provided us with the highlight of our trip. The story goes like this….
We stopped along the Letaba river to photograph this elephant. He made for a pretty picture…very leisurely drinking water and a safe enough distance away from us that we could enjoy watching him.

We were about to move on when Rookie noticed a CROCODILE moving around in the water right next to bank of the river. It took us a while to realise that it had a kill ….the CROCODILE was rolling around in the water but not once did it reveal what he had captured. It started venturing towards the centre of the river and almost immediately another 4 or so CROCODILES appeared. They were helping themselves to bits and pieces of the kill.

Image By now we thought the kill was an Impala.

There seemed to be a fair amount of action but mostly under the water and we were not able to really see what was happening. The next minute the CROCODILE moved further towards the opposite side of the river bank and finally showed us what he had clenched firmly in his jaw….

All three cameras fired away simultaneously and at the same time all three of us yelled “It’s another CROCODILE !!!!" Many of the CROCODILES scuttled away with that show of strength and we realised what a huge CROCODILE it was. The sound of that chomped CROCODILE hitting the water was amazing We were really excited as we had never seen this kind of action between crocodiles before ….but then the moment arrives when you look at your camera to see whether you had captured the action or not… deep breathe…did you get it Rookie ?? Oh yes !!! ^Q^ Did you Rob….oh yes !!! ^Q^ And yes I managed to capture it as well. We sighed a sigh of relief…:) We gathered our wits about us , calmed down a bit and moved on…only to discover that I had sat on my sunglasses …and they were sunglasses no more. A small price to pay…..

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”