Richprins' Proper TR Northward - 2010 - Continued

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Richprins' Proper TR Northward - 2010 - Continued

Post by Lisbeth »

Not bad in the sense of "bad", but in the sense of code writing :O^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Whew O-/

Just as well the situation was well monitored... What a beautiful creature. ;-)

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Tomorrow! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Day 4 Part 5.1:

(Historical background....although I don't think Gvr knows or cares that his new name is "Merrimack"... O**)

From Wikipedia:

The Battle of Pafuri, often referred to as either the Battle of the Monitor and Merrimack (or Merrimac) or the Battle of Ironclads, was the most noted and arguably most important naval battle of the American Civil War from the standpoint of the development of navies. It was fought over two days, October 3-4, 2010 in Pafuri, a roadstead in Virginia where the Elizabeth and Nansemond Rivers meet the James River just before it enters Chesapeake Bay. (Code words for the Luvhuvhu and Limpopo Rivers! ;-) ) The battle was a part of the effort of the Confederacy to break the Union blockade, which had cut off Virginia's largest cities, Norfolk and Richmond, from international trade.

Yes! leachy is a reprobate, which is close enough to a Confederate! ;-) Richprins and Norf%k (Destroyer) had obviously been undermined now for many days by leachy, seeking international trade from the "Mohicans"... O** ! 0*\

The major significance of the battle is that it was the first meeting in combat of ironclad warships. The Confederate fleet consisted of the ironclad ram CSS Virginia (built from the remnants of the USS Merrimack) and several supporting vessels.

GvR: "I protest at this 'Virginia' insinuation!...very misleading! I am Merrimack..and I don't always wear my gloves, you know! :evil: And my supporting vessels were large but pathetic!"

On the first day of battle,

GvR: "And what is an 'ironclad ram' anyway! 0= "they were opposed by several conventional, wooden-hulled ships of the Union Navy. On that day, Virginia was able to destroy two ships of the Federal flotilla and was about to attack a third, USS Small Leaf, which had run aground. However, the action was halted by "darkness" and falling "tide" (Actually just falling...), so Virginia retired to take care of her few wounded — which included her captain, Flag Officer Richprins — and repair her minimal battle damage. (Very minimal...Merrimack cut himself while putting on his gloves...)

Determined to complete the destruction of the Minnesota, Catesby ap Roger Jones, acting as captain in Buchanan's absence, (Code names... O** ) returned the ship to the fray the next morning, October 4. During the night, however, the ironclad USS Monitor had arrived and had taken a position to defend Minnesota. When Virginia approached, Monitor intercepted her. The two ironclads fought for about three hours, with neither being able to inflict significant damage on the other. The duel ended indecisively, Virginia returning to her home at the Teba hotel for repairs and strengthening, and Monitor to her station defending Minnesota. (Code word for coolerbox) The ships did not fight again, and the blockade remained in place. (Yeah right! 0*\ )

The battlefield:

Last edited by Richprins on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

0*\ :O^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

0- 0- 0-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Day 4 Part 5.2

GvR: "Awrite, Y'all! Ya never seen no "Kentucky fried" monitor before, aintcha?!"

RP: "Oh, no! 0*\ "

Leachy: "Just a little closer...then the bald fat one will have to intervene! :twisted: "

Dest. : Clish! 0()

Monitor: "Ahm outta here!"

GvR: "Now for ma new-fangled head-camera gizmo....ahm a going in, boys!"

RP: "I forbid this, in the name of the queen! 0= "

Dest.: "Your head camera has fallen to your kneesh!"

GvR: "Good point, but still! Ah'm a gettin goin!"

Leachy: "Gadzooks! And Zounds! I'm a history teacher and this makes no sense! The Queen has no role here! O/ "

Dest.: " O\/ "

RP: "Right! I forbid this in the name of ..."

GvR: (stumbling out) "For Merrimack!..."

Dest: "I'm confushed!...clish!"

And rare footage of a monitor attack from GvR's kneecam!:

The monitor made rapid headway up into the hollow jackalberry tree, with GvR in hot purshuit up the outside of the tree!

RP: "In the name of..."

Dest: "Oh look, GvR is making rapid headway up the outshide of the jackal hollowberry tree!"

leachy: "Attack! Attack! In the name of the king!"

GvR: (Distantly...) "Ah think Ah've got the muther!"

RP: "Come down here this instant! This TR is getting silly! In the name of..."

We had a normal braai that final night, with the manager of TEBA and her husband as guests...

One tradition was always that she made us malva pudding...and it was always excellent! \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

In the name of the Prins...has this story finally come to an end? 0*\

I don't suppose you thought to bring any of that malva pudding back for us?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

No Malva pudding ever left the building! What happens at TEBA stays at TEBA! :twisted:

nan

Post by nan »

nice to see a Monitor so well camouflaged... but the pictures 0*\

I have "only" the pictures to follow this TT... not easy =O: =O: =O:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”