Browns in Kruger October 2016

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Browns in Kruger October 2016

Post by Mel »

Ja, I took note of the post to Pumbaa lol

Only 0.4 leopards per day in April =O: =O: =O: I rather have a complete every three days ^0^

Hope to see you in April somewhere somewhen! Would be awesome X#X

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

6th Biyamiti to Lower Sabie

We were up in the dark to pack and were the 2nd car out of Biyamiti camp at 5:30am.

The private S139 is a long story in the morning if heading west as it’s not in the best condition, so we decided to take the quickest route to the H4-2 to get ahead of the Croc bridge clan and the day visitor gang, hence ducked down the S25 and up the S108/H5 but didn’t stop much as nothing was happening besides a few ellies, buffalo, giraffe and a Bateleur for the Cow.

We arrived at Lower Sabie just before 7am and I was rather despondent as it had been a rubbish drive so far and we could only book in at Lower Sabie at 2pm, so we had to find something to do for 7 hours, hence a debate started and the decision was to return to the Skukuza golf club for hot chips and some relaxation.

I was still sulking, hence wasn’t paying attention, but fortunately Bushpig was, as just past Lubyelubye she let rip “LEOPARD!”, so I slammed on brakes “WHERE!”

“REVERSE!”

The leopard had cruised out of a drain under the road, but was on a mission which resulted in blurred panicked pics.

Eventually the leopard lay down for a few seconds which enabled us to at least get a proof pic before it cruised off again.

I pulled into the little loop just north of Lubyelubye rocks to see if we could get a view of the leopard from there, however suddenly the water erupted in front of us, but it took my brain a few seconds to register what it was.

“WT……….OTTER!”

Hawkeyes is spastic about otters, so she was flapping big time in the back, but eventually the car was calm and we could get some pics.

There were 2 SBS’s cruising around the otter also and they seemed to be plotting a theft mission, but another movement distracted us again and it was a second otter swimming around.

Eventually one of the SBS’s caught its own chow and then a kingfisher got spotted by Bushpig and we got distracted again.

The otters cruised up the river, so we decided to continue on, but stopped again just before the causeway for an ellie chowing next to the road and then 2 male lions having a hippo breakfast in the riverbed. The young hippos seem to be getting hammered by lion at the moment.

The rest of the drive to the golf club didn’t produce anything out of the ordinary except an optimistic dung beetle which the Cow insisted on photographing.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Mel wrote:Ja, I took note of the post to Pumbaa lol

Only 0.4 leopards per day in April =O: =O: =O: I rather have a complete every three days ^0^

Hope to see you in April somewhere somewhen! Would be awesome X#X
PJL is also around so we can update each other as to what's happening ;-) I'm sure we can link up at a camp or picnic site somewhere for a dop during the day \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Otters! ^Q^ ^Q^ Not seen very often \O

Very fresh dung O** A very optimistic beetle as you say lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Okay... another leopard... more lions... and a busy dung beetle - all great sigthings, besides the birds anyways, but this time it's the otter that takes the crown :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Bushcraft wrote:PJL is also around so we can update each other as to what's happening ;-) I'm sure we can link up at a camp or picnic site somewhere for a dop during the day \O
Yep, saw that \O We'll work something out somehow \O

leachy

Post by leachy »

:-) :-) :-) :-)

the otter experience is probably one the your rarest sightings this trip

that is a 10 in my books..

i doubt those lions know what an unhealthy meal those hippos are..

those lion dudes are not going to be in shape for summer time on the beach pulling the chicks.....

the future is not what it used to be
Alf

Post by Alf »

Just caught up again ..........................................

Unreal sightings once again ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

\O 0() IO

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Biyamiti sounds like a lovely camp, never been there, but want to one day. :yes:

Great leopard spotting by Bushpig \O and awesome otter sighting!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”