Sightings WOW, photos not so... (Oct 2018)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Sightings WOW, photos not so... (Oct 2018)

Post by Lisbeth »

The last appearance kind of saved the day ;-) O:V

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Okay, caught up with this exciting TT ^Q^ Mel, I agree sightings were WOW this trip - the Kalahari was more "alive" than our previous trips, with lots of action and interactions. Seems Spring had sprung into full blossom.

LOVE the leopard camouflaged against the rocks, the Blk-chested Snake Eagle with the Drongo (nice [O] ), the stunning male lion on the way back to Grootkolk.....and, drumroll....SAFRAN ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ O:V O:V O:V

I didn't get the feeling the bird baths were "forbidden" anymore, as someone has replaced the scruffy do-it-yourself plastic bottle cutouts with nice terra cotta shallow bowls at all the units -O- -O- -O-

Your kudu males are quite impressive, as are your wildebeest shots at the waterhole - great depth of field and clarity!!! Seemingly simple shots that are VERY well executed ^Q^ ^Q^

Your wild and crazy evening reminds me of the song "Oh What A Night" ....and then it got even more unbelievable with TWO leopards!! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Are Rosa and Kay both females -O- :-? :-? Offspring? Is Kay a male....'splain it to me, Lucy O** O** ;-)

Where did you see my SO - KK or MM? As mentioned before when we both stayed (unknowingly) at Grootkolk at the same time, any neighbors who store more beer than food in the fridge are our kinda people 0/0 0/0 X#X X#X

Waiting for more of this fun in the sun 0() 0()

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Wow, Mello! I would have wet myself! :shock: :shock: :shock:

What Ex said! :yes: :ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow, amazing sighting!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Rosa is such a beautiful Leopard lady, Mel, \O

and great that you could get that brilliant shots from her O\/ O\/ O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Mel wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:52 pm
But a whole month, that's somewhat indecent :-0 :-0 :-0 You must tell me how you organized the food and drinks department, please X#X
Here's how I organize the food/drinks for an entire month:

I have about 4 - 6 dinner menus and just repeat them - that cuts down on the # of items and speeds up shopping.
Ex. - instead of 10 diff. meats, I can just buy - steak, chicken, hamburger, and frozen fish/prawns as avail. We also have an Hors d' oeuver platter (olives, nuts, cheese, sardines, tuna stuffed eggs, ham/cheese roll-ups etc etc). We also like Pizza on the grill, but I embellish the store bought ones.

I have 3 Pick'nPay Cooler Bags to carry it all in with frozen juice boxes, extra water bottles, etc

ALSO - Pic 'n Pay does ALL our shopping for us ahead, except for Produce, Dairy, and Meat which saves SO much time.

We also buy/replenish from the Park's Shops as needed - extra charcoal, wood, eggs, bread, etc

That's probably too much info., but didn't want to ignore your question 0/0

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

You are well organised, ExF ^Q^ ^Q^ (only way if you stay in a park for a month :yes: ).

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:28 pm The last appearance kind of saved the day ;-) O:V
Well, the day had not been bad when you count it from midnight onwards lol
But that was the icing on the cake O\/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

ExFmem wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:45 pm

I didn't get the feeling the bird baths were "forbidden" anymore, as someone has replaced the scruffy do-it-yourself plastic bottle cutouts with nice terra cotta shallow bowls at all the units -O- -O- -O-

Are Rosa and Kay both females -O- :-? :-? Offspring? Is Kay a male....'splain it to me, Lucy O** O** ;-)

Where did you see my SO - KK or MM? As mentioned before when we both stayed (unknowingly) at Grootkolk at the same time, any neighbors who store more beer than food in the fridge are our kinda people 0/0 0/0 X#X X#X

First of all, thanks for catching up and the very nice comment on my kudu capture O0

As for the bird baths: Last year in October those nice bowls were stuck to the fences. When we got back in April they were all gone and we were told that they weren't allowed anymore. So I was very surprised to see them back again this time. But ours wasn't glued to the pole anymore. Having said that, the lions would have taken it down anyway, glue fixed or not, I guess lol

Sorry for the confusion I might have cause with my mispelling Kai's name. He's a new kid on the block. On the Kgalagadi Leopard Project Facebook page there had been only one sighting of him when I started the IDing process. By now there are a couple of more.

And we saw your SO on our drive out, I think. Would have been on the 12th. But I can't recall where exactly. I think it was north of Uri somewhere.
(Oh, and we had to store the beer there because our fridge was full of food. So we're at least half-half on both =O: )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”