Camping with Petronella ; KTP May 2016

ExFmem

Re: Camping with Petronella ; KTP May 2016

Post by ExFmem »

Looks like your trip started shortly before mine ended, so it was fun to see what I "missed" thereafter. Your sunrise/sunset pics are eye popping. Love each and every one - such character in the skies/clouds. ^Q^ ^Q^

LOTS of impressive pics, :yes: but I especially like the tawny w/ the snake, AWCs, lions posing in the grasses/wildflowers, adorable steenbok baby, BEFs, lions in the wind, springbok w/ camouflage headwear, energetic baby springbok, and of course, CHEETAH! The squirrels with the home in the middle of the road was both funny and worrisome. lol :-(

However, that brute of a leopard in full view and great lighting is unsurpassed. Excellent capture! O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\

Very entertaining, look forward to more, please…. :ty:

Alf

Post by Alf »

Stunning leopard \O

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Thanks everyone once again for your patience while I try and finish off this travel tale. We are off to George for the long weekend so I probably will only be able to continue next week sometime.
In the meantime here is another episode:

Kalahari Ferarri

After seeing the leopard at Batulama we happily carried on our way up towards the loops.
We spotted this rock kestrel not much further

These springbok were happily grazing near Rooibrak

We stopped briefly at Kamqua

The lone meercat which we had seen a few days back just south of Urikaruus, was still around

This time, with a very muddy nose. (No spouse around to tell him to clean his face) ^0^

It was just after that when the fun started.

We met friends on their way out of the park. They were in a hurry, but stopped briefly enough to say farewell and to tell us of a leopard just the other side of 13th borehole.
Either I heard wrong or wasn’t listening, but I was sure he said “Go over the top and then turn into the loop”, so that’s what I did
Debbie was adamant that I should carry on, but I was having none of that
By the time I realised my mistake and we turned around and we got to the sighting, the leopard was flat under a tree

O/ O/ @#$

If we looked through a hole in a bush further on, in the shade under a tree we could sort of see the silhouette of the leopard :evil:

Needless to say I was on the receiving end of quite a few choice words :o0ps:

After a while we decided to move on as we were feeling a bit frustrated and wanted to “find our own sighting” instead of chasing other peoples sightings.
We drove up as far as 14th before turning around.

We got back to the leopard sighting only to find out that she had moved whilst we were away and that we had missed her AGAIN!!!!!!
O/ O/

Nothing we could do but to remind ourselves of our rule about chasing sightings. 0:

On the way back to camp we spotted this lovely pygmy falcon

And a family, this time, of meercats near Gemsbokplein

We arrived back at camp only to be told by Willem that our neighbours at Kielie had seen two lions. 5km further along the dune road.

So off we went. They were pretty well flat by the time we got there, but at least we got to see them before returning to camp for an afternoon break

Whist in camp we had the chance to appreciate these flowers on the side of the dune

And this heron at the waterhole.

For our evening drive, we decided to head off to the Auob for a bit before returning to the flat lions
We saw nothing , and as we got to where the lions had been we met another car who told us we had just missed them by minutes as they got up and headed into the dunes.
“Other people’s sightings “ :mrgreen:
We headed back to camp

The moon outshone itself once again

A dune moon

And a braai moon ended off our day.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Alf

Post by Alf »

Stunning braai moon

^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The moon was shining gorgeously for you ^Q^

Love your meerkat sightings, particularly the family at Gemsbokplein O:V

Shame for the leopard though O/ I think, I would have had to kill the SO if I had wanted to move away from it. lol
Hope you weren't too unhappy. If she was gone that can only mean you were not supposed to see her that day.
That's how we try to console ourselves when missing something good. (And we get quite a share of missed cheetahs
and leopards 0*\ lol )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Your meerkats are great O/\ O/\

and also the moon shots are lovely ^Q^ ^Q^

Do not cry over spilt milk, especially being the milk of others O** lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Ok, so we are back, and here is the next instalment

22 May: A howling moon and our last full day in the park

Our morning drive started off in a really spectacular way this morning. We had just got onto the dune road after leaving Kieliekrankie, when we spotted three black backed jackals trotting along the road.
We followed them and as they got near a rise in the road, we were gifted this amazing view.

We were really pleased at this quiet special sighting :cam:

We headed north up the Auob and after a relatively quiet period of time we came upon a couple of wildebeest on the side of the dune, in perfect light

We had travelled only a little bit further when Debs spotted this rock kestrel also sunning itself in the morning light

For the first time this trip, the hyenas at the Kamqua den were out and about.

We spent a wonderful half hour or so watching their antics as the youngsters chased each other around the den site, whilst the bemused adults watched on .

(Sorry, the pics are not the greatest, but they give you an idea)

Just before 13th Borehole this African Harrier Hawk was posing for us in a tree.
It soon flew off to the other side of the riverbed and we continued on our way

Just past the waterhole, a herd of giraffe were busy making their way back down towards the waterhole

We arrived at the 14th borehole waterhole to see a bit of an altercation going on between a lanner and another bird.
It took us a while to ID the bird as a juvenile gymnogene. Debbie was in her element.
Her favourite bird. Twice

It was certainly turning out to be Debbie's Day, Hyena, giraffe and now two gymnogenes as well

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

We turned around at the end of the 14th borehole loop and found that the giraffe on the 13th borehole loop had reached the waterhole.

The fallen branch at Kamqua really intrigued me, so I couldn’t resist taking a closer photo of the tree.
Does anyone know how that got to balance on top of the pole? :-?

Our trip back to Kielie provided us with sighting of these iconic Kgalagadi birds:
A black shouldered kite

This crimson breasted shrike (OK I know that’s the old name, but I prefer it)

And this Southern White Faced Owl:

We got back to Kieliekrankie at about 1pm to take a break from the car for a while.

That evening we decided on a short drive down to Kamfersboom and back. It turned out to be a pleasant drive and these herds of Wildebeest, springbok, along with a few Gemsbok provided the highlight of the drive, as the peacefully grazed just below the Auchterlonie picnic area

That evening, as we started to get ourselves sorted out for our departure back to Cape Town the following day, I took one last photo of the moon whilst preparing our final braai of the holiday

Wishing I was in the KTP
Alf

Post by Alf »

Almost over :-(

Next trip to the bush??

GavinW

Post by GavinW »

23 May: Excitement on the Lower Dune road and then home

As we had done most the packing the previous evening and, bearing in mind the long road ahead of us , we bid our farewells to Willem and Kieliekrankie with promises of returning in December, at sparrows on our last morning in the park.

We had decided to take the Dune road to Kij Kij and then to work our way to Twee Rivieren before heading to Cape Town
First up was the sun, giving me a wonderful desktop picture

We passed the spot where we had seen the two lions the day before last, and not much further on we spotted lion spoor on the road.
Was the Kgalagadi going to give us a farewell present this morning?
We hoped so, and I even said to Debbie, that it would be nice to see some lions close up for a change
As we approached Kij Gamies, we heard roaring, and the Debbie spotted them on a dune next to the road.

The grass was quite long, so we needed to manoeuvre the car in order to get a view of the couple

They were walking through the grass, roaring as they went and appeared to be mating, but we weren’t sure.

They were moving in the direction of the road to the lookout behind the waterhole, so we followed

What was really spooky about this sighting, was that both the male and the female were blind in one eye. The male was blind in his left eye and his partner in her right eye

The lions moved onto the road and started investigating our vehicle

We had asked for a close up sighting, but I hadn’t expected to be given one quite this close

The lady started to get a bit too interested in our tyres, so we moved off up the hill and turned around

A view of them from the top of the rise,

And of daddy as we passed them on our way out of the sighting

As we passed them by, they moved off into dunes to the west

Excited about our encounter and chatting about the fact that both were blind, the rest of the dune road seemed to pass by in a flash
About 5 kilometres before Kij Kij, I spotted something on a distant due.
Three more lions parked off in the morning light
They were quite far away, so we didn’t hang around too long

We arrived at Kij Kij to see a queue of cars parked on the side of the road just south of the waterhole.
I wondered if we were ever going to get home today? :-?

Three cheetah, a mother with two cubs were high up on the top of the nearby dune

They seemed pretty settled, and I was starting to get edgy about leaving, so we watched them for a moment or two, before doing a quick detour to the natural waterhole just to the north of Kij Kij
The hamerkop was in residence

Back to cheetahs, no movement, so with heavy hearts at the thought of leaving a cheetah sighting, off we went
These gemsbok were on a dune just near Rooiputs

Our last sighting of the trip was of this wildebeest just at the Twee Rivieren gates

We checked out and reinflated our tyres before leaving the park at 10.45. Twelve hours later we drove into our complex back in a rainy Cape Town

That’s it folks, till December when we return for another two weeks.
Thanks for following this trip report and for all your wonderful comments. They do make reliving our holiday more special

Wishing I was in the KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”