Central Kalahari Game Reserve

Information & Discussion on Botswana Game Parks
iNdlovu

Re: Central Kalahari Game Reserve

Post by iNdlovu »

Gumps, April will be awesome, I will be there from 14th July in my usual Sunday Pan 2 and Passarge Valley 2 campsites. can't wait already, but it's too early to start counting the days. From there I am taking the foreigners ;-) up to the Delta for 5 days. \O \O
Mellie, if it's on your wishlist you need to do it now, let me know how I can assist.

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

General Gump wrote:Great info coming through. I will probably be at Dinaka, bordering CKGR in late Apr, wife permitting. Will find out more on the campsite at Matswere gate.
Hope you get wife permission. Would be great to learn more! \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

iNdy and Gumps...you lucky sods! \O

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

It is obviously a daunting task for overseas people to plan a trip to some of the true wilderness areas of Southern Africa. Not because of a lack of an adventurous spirit but simply because of the logistics. It must be almost impossible for someone from the UK or Europe to haul sleeping bags, tents and all the other equipment required on a long flight from overseas. Vehicles can be rented from a number of operators that are reasonably well equipped, but they don't come cheep, in addition a little bit of local knowledge does help a lot. Most of the great wilderness areas are a long way from main centres with international airports with the result that it is a fairly lengthy drive to get there.

Whilst certainly not being an "expert" on all the Southern Africa destinations, I have travelled to many of them over the years and am quite happy to assist people from overseas in planning a trip and loaning out a lot of the required equipment to get you out there. Don't let logistics get in your way and forfeit experiences of a lifetime. If you have any dreams for some of the out of the way places in southern Africa, send me a PM.

Toks, you mention places like Etosha, Caprivi and South Luangwa....all superb places to go and can be done relatively easily. To get to Etosha and Caprivi you could fly to Windhoek in Namibia, pick up a 4X4 there and head north to Etosha and then across to Caprivi. I don't know that I would combine that trip with South Luangwa unless you have a lot of time, for me, that would be a separate trip, taking in Kafue on the way.
Too many people make a big mistake when overlanding by trying to cover too much in a short space of time, it becomes a hectic scramble with deadlines and destinations to reach, you never get to know and appreciate an area.

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
flehman

Post by flehman »

That pic of the cheetahs and lion is great! Hope they got away.

Alf

Post by Alf »

I have a friend that’s camping there at the moment. Will ask for a few pictures when they are back

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Would be great to see some :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Central Kalahari is a great place but sadly my current Hilux is a 4x2 and for getting to Piper Pan etc 4x4 essential especially if you are travelling in one vehicle so these days we have to stick to Rooiputs and Polentswa

Sky

Post by Sky »

Deception Valley
sentraal 1.jpg
sentraal 1.jpg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Sunday Pan
sentraal 3.jpg
sentraal 3.jpg (46.5 KiB) Viewed 747 times
Camping - Kori / Deception
sentraal4.jpg
sentraal5.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

0/* Sky!

Nice pics! 0() X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “All you need to know about Botswana Game Parks”