Damming the Okavango River

Information & Discussion on Botswana Game Parks
Tony

Damming the Okavango River

Post by Tony »

Hi, I'm new here. Apologies if this subject is already under discussion.
I was shocked to read that the Namibian authorities are doing a feasibility study for a Hydroelectricity plant at the Popa Falls, where a proposed damn will be built. What effect this will have on the Okavango Delta is in question. I suppose the argument for this scheme is that it will provide water and clean power for a multitude of Africans.
To view report go to http://www.africatravelmag.com or Google "Okavango River Dam"

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Damming the Okavango River

Post by Mel »

Hello Tony and welcome to the forums! 0/*

Very good and interesting first post \O but alas, I get redirected when trying to open the link you provided. :-(

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Googled and found this. Is the content what you are referring to?
It doesn't give a publishing date though. 0*\

http://www.nampower.com.na/pages/popa-about.asp

Popa Falls

NamPower has come to the end of the first phase of a feasibility study to consider the viability of developing a hydropower station on the Okavango River situated in the vicinity of the Popa Falls. The hydropower station will be situated inside Namibian territory in its entirety.

NamPower followed international best practices to ensure that all aspects of such a project will be considered during the study phases:

Phase 1: Pre-feasibility Phase:

After obtaining the approval of the neighbouring countries, Botswana and Angola, who share the Okavango River with Namibia, NamPower embarked upon a pre-feasibility study to determine the technical and financial viability of different site alternatives for the Popa Falls Hydropower project. Simultaneously, a preliminary environmental impact assessment study was performed to determine any issue of concern of the project that might impact on the environment.

NamPower commissioned some of the best knowledgeable people available locally and internationally to study the project pre-feasibility.

As part of this phase of the study those issues were also identified, both technically and environmentally, that warrant further and in depth investigation in a full Environmental Impact Assessment, should NamPower decide to pursue the development of the project further.

The pre-feasibility study also involved a process of public participation during which Public Hearing Meetings were held in Namibia and Botswana to gather all the concerns of affected stakeholders on site and downstream of the project. Interested parties also had the opportunity to raise their comments on the website of NamPower and the Southern African Institute of Environmental Assessments (SAIEA).

NamPower furthermore instructed the technical and environmental team to take into account some of the major environmental impacts foreseen upfront so that mitigating measures could be incorporated in the technical designs. On completion, two independent reviewers, appointed by the Southern African Institute of Environmental Assessments, reviewed the pre-feasibility report. Their findings are incorporated in the report that will be released today and submitted to the Ministry of Environment and Tourism for consideration.

The pre-feasibility study report was also submitted to the Permanent Okavango River Basin Water Commission (OKACOM) who took note of the completion of the pre-feasibility study and agreed that NamPower in Namibia could proceed with the proposed feasibility study for the Project and for OKACOM to participate in the study as was done previously.

OKACOM comprises governmental representation from Angola, Botswana and Namibia, and has the responsibility to oversee the management, including developments within the Okavango Basin.

As part of the ongoing process of public participation it was also decided to invite any further comments that may arise from the findings of the study.

A period of one month will be allowed to all interested and affected parties to comment thereto. For this purpose the complete report has been published on the NamPower website at:

Popa Falls - Reports

Hard copies of the study are available at the following places:

Windhoek Library

NamPower library at the NamPower Centre.

Offices of the Rundu Town Council

Frans Dimbare Youth Centre at Popa Falls

On completion of this process the outcome of the study, together with comments thereto will be presented to the NamPower Board of Directors to decide whether the project will be taken into the feasibility phase

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Found the Executive Summary for this project as well. But it is dated already in November 2003. -O-

http://www.nampower.com.na/docs/Executi ... mmary1.pdf

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Right, and finally I found the article you are referring to as well.

http://www.travelafricamag.com/index2.p ... =1&id=1918

It's from Spring 2004. Does that mean the building process has started or even been completed already?

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

There was a book written about this also - by Tony Park - Okavango Delta - describing the whole process in story form.

It would be interesting to know whether it was completed. -O-

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And if it has an effect on the Delta. -O-

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks for this info Tony and Mel \O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hello and welcome, Tony! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I will google it - but I was under the impression that it ran West to East. 0*\
Maybe I was wrong.
I remember it would have favoured Namibie and downward Botswana would have had dried up river beds with no irrigation for farmers...

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014

Return to “All you need to know about Botswana Game Parks”