Okavango Delta - Questions

Information & Discussion on Botswana Game Parks
Mel
Global Moderator

Okavango Delta - Questions

Post by Mel »

Actually, I only got one question, but I thought that there might be more to come.

I'm watching a silly episode of Top Gear and the guys are touring several game reserves,
including the Okavango Delta. They get out of the car whereever they please.
Is that allowed at all?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Okavango Delta - Questions

Post by Mel »

0:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Mel

As far as I know it is allowed as we where in Moremi and wanted to have a picnic ,but got chased out of the camp site and told to go some place else to picnic. :shock: :shock: We found on numerous occasions people out of there cars

Zimbabwe parks are the same, you can walk around as well

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Aha, thanks, PRWIN!

Not sure if I'd be brave enough to have picnic out in the wild though. :shock: =O:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

C'mon Mel...be brave!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Pale African

Post by Pale African »

I am pretty sure the Top Gear team got special dispensation for the incredible journey.

One must be nuts to attempt it, which the TG team is.

Toko

Post by Toko »

Basic rules and regulations

For the sake of visitors' safety and the good management of the park or reserve, the following basic rules and regulations should be adhered to:

No driving or entry will be allowed outside the prescribed opening hours for the park or reserve.
Persons holding reservations for camping sites must take up their campsite by 17:30 hours on due date of arrival, otherwise the site may be re-let and pre-payments forfeited.
Entry to the park or reserve is allowed by permit only; these permits are available at the park or reserve entrance gates or in advance from the Reservations Office.
All groups are required to register at the entrance gates.
Visitors may only camp in designated campsites.
The maximum speed limit within a park or reserve is 40 kph.
Driving off the roads is strictly prohibited.
Visitors must not harass or feed the animals, as this can lead to human habituation and will result in the destruction of the animal(s).
Fires may only be lit in designated fireplaces.
All litter must be placed in the bins where they have been provided for that purpose, except for combustibles, which may be burnt in a designated fireplace. Where no bins are provided, litter must be bagged and taken to the Wildlife Camp for disposal. Litter must never be buried.
Removal of animals or plants (live or dead) is strictly prohibited.
No dog or any other domesticated animal or bird is allowed within the parks or reserves.
Firearms, and any other form of weapons, are strictly prohibited.
Visitors are required to conduct themselves in a quiet and orderly manner at all times whilst within a protected area. Do not disturb any animal or person.
Visitors may not drive in a park or reserve in a vehicle that does not offer adequate protection, nor may they ride on roof racks or other exterior parts of the vehicle.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I'm sure you must like my SO, Pale African.
He's into Top Gear as well. O**

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Yes Mel you can get out of your car in all Botswana reserves. On their registration form they ask that you do so with common sense, where you have clear visibility for a large distance and do not wonder far from your vehicle. I'd think twice about it in Moremi as visibility is hampered by thick bush.
One must remember that those three clowns from Top Gear have a large entourage with them behind the scenes as well as rangers and guides when filming their not so conservation centric episodes, but some of them are fun.

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?

Return to “All you need to know about Botswana Game Parks”