Essential Camping Equipment

Information & Discussions on Camping
Alf

Re: Essential Camping Equipment

Post by Alf »

Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate all the help. I feel like a newbie.

I have all this excitement inside but i don’t know much about proper camping if i can call it like that. Don’t get me wrong i went camping while fishing many years ago and even went camping at Pretoriuskop but it was basics like a tent, normal coolerbox and 2 chairs. Hehe

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
PJL

Post by PJL »

Alf wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm What size fridge/ freezers is sufficient?

Or is just a freezer better?
We have a Snomaster dual compartment fridge which works well for us. You can have fridge/fridge or fridge/freezer or freezer/freezer as you wish. Works on 240v as well as the standard car 12v connection or even a Hella 12v connection. We normally have the bigger section as a fridge with the smaller side a freezer \O

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/prod ... ridge/6301

They’re not cheap but work extremely well.
I think takealot sometimes have specials on them if you’re not in a rush ;-)

harrys

Post by harrys »

We have a small chest freezer that fits 100% in the trailer and can take meat for 4 people for at least 15 days, we then use the tri-angle storage compartment of the trailer as a fridge for the butter and fresh stuff, the tri - angle is rubberized and has a water outlet so you can empty the water after the ice has melted :-) \O

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Alf

Post by Alf »

PJL wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Alf wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm What size fridge/ freezers is sufficient?

Or is just a freezer better?
We have a Snomaster dual compartment fridge which works well for us. You can have fridge/fridge or fridge/freezer or freezer/freezer as you wish. Works on 240v as well as the standard car 12v connection or even a Hella 12v connection. We normally have the bigger section as a fridge with the smaller side a freezer \O

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/prod ... ridge/6301

They’re not cheap but work extremely well.
I think takealot sometimes have specials on them if you’re not in a rush ;-)
I was looking at something like that but then the freezer side didn't look big enough for me. Maybe i'm spoiled with the size of the freezer above the normal fridge at the bungalows.

Next trip to the bush??

Alf

Post by Alf »

harrys wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 am We have a small chest freezer that fits 100% in the trailer and can take meat for 4 people for at least 15 days, we then use the tri-angle storage compartment of the trailer as a fridge for the butter and fresh stuff, the tri - angle is rubberized and has a water outlet so you can empty the water after the ice has melted :-) \O
Doesn't that chest freezer takes up too much space?

Next trip to the bush??

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

You are really freezing only a couple of days meat. Most steak can be vacuum packed and is better after a few days just in fridge. If you are going for 20 days to a place you could also pop out and do a refill shop during the period.
371DDE95-6E75-4364-AA62-76E4AB39C06F.jpeg
371DDE95-6E75-4364-AA62-76E4AB39C06F.jpeg (4.5 KiB) Viewed 437 times
My fridge with little freezer inside
38199702-3FDC-469E-A50C-4B69C56FC719.png
38199702-3FDC-469E-A50C-4B69C56FC719.png (107.65 KiB) Viewed 437 times
My freezer or fridge if I like. Like now for 3 nights in Khutse am just using it as fridge. Meat in fridge will be fine for 3 days and can keep drinks cold.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What Alf is hinting at is that he needs space for all his beer - he consumes cases every day... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
harrys

Post by harrys »

Alf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 am
harrys wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 am We have a small chest freezer that fits 100% in the trailer and can take meat for 4 people for at least 15 days, we then use the tri-angle storage compartment of the trailer as a fridge for the butter and fresh stuff, the tri - angle is rubberized and has a water outlet so you can empty the water after the ice has melted :-) \O
It's about 60cm wide and 1 m high, will send you a Pic from Satara when we get there \O

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Richprins wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 am What Alf is hinting at is that he needs space for all his beer - he consumes cases every day... O**
You don't keep beer in a freezer. O** O** O/ O/

Alf

Post by Alf »

harrys wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 am
Alf wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 am
It's about 60cm wide and 1 m high, will send you a Pic from Satara when we get there \O
\O

Next trip to the bush??

Return to “Camping”