Addo and the Frontier Parks - Two-timing the KTP (March 2012) *

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo and the Frontier Parks - Two-timing the KTP

Post by Mel »

The drive on Kranskop is very scenic and it must be stunning looking in good weather. But there were still lots of clouds in the sky and the sun peeped out only occasionally.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Back on the plateau, some zebras took pity in us and stayed put to allow me some photos of them.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I think this must be the most often seen pose of a zebra…

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We also got a funny looking rainbow against the mountains. Hard to make out, but it was there! ;-)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Actually, we were already headed back to the camp when we came around a corner. I said, no actually I shouted to SO that I had seen a critter further down the road and that it was still in there. So hurry up! :evil: (Which is a joke as you are only allowed to do 25 kmh.) road. It was so distant that I couldn’t make out what it was exactly, but I knew we hadn’t seen anything like that before. O/\ Of course, it was not in the road anymore by the time we got there… O/ But being parked right next to it while it was foraging in the tall grass, I could make out the very distinctive ears… //\0--

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We had found us a CARACAL!!! O\/ O/\ ^Q^ O/\ O\/

You can’t imagine how quickly I got onto the backseat to get at least some photos. This is the best of the lot. That cat just didn’t want to turn for me. 0-

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We kept trailing it until we lost sight because it had proceeded over the ridge. Trying to find it again around the corner was a futile exercise. We had lost it… We waited and waited and waited. But it just didn’t show anymore.

Although we had planned to call it an early day just before our caracal sighting, we now decided we would go back to the camp for a toilet break and head out again to see if the caracal would come back.

Upon our return, just before the plateau, I made SO stop for some unknown reason. I just wanted to check out the area to see if anything was moving. And there was!!! Very distant, but we found the caracal again which was still in the area, leisurely sniffing around. No photos this time around. We could barely make it out with our binocs, so you can imagine what the pictures would look like. O-/

Well, I’d call that an extremely successful day! Aardwolf and caracal on the afternoon drive – yay! X#X

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

SO and I made for the look-out point again. By now the clouds had lifted considerably and I was hoping for some nice colours to end the day. Granted! \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

An hour later the magic colours were gone and all was left was the clouds:

That night it was still too cold for a braai. So fireplace was lit once again and we had marinated chicken and veg for dinner. Yum! O:V

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Thanks heaps to you all for still reading and commenting here. 0/0
Time to wrap up Mountain Zebra, methinks...

Mountain Zebra
01/04/2012

The next morning we woke up to a bright, sunny day. Goodness me, this park can be gorgeous in the golden sun! O:V

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”