Re: The Early Bird Catches The Worm

Post by PJL »

Flutterby wrote:I love the mongoose pics! \O
Thanks Flutts \O
I would imagine it has left the den now.... they grow up so quickly lol

PJL

Post by PJL »

For our afternoon drive we were naturally going to try and keep tabs on the lions, and it also made sense to check out the Gorah loop where we had previously seen bat-eared fox dens at this time of the year. The lions on Domkrag loop were completely hidden by this point, but there were plenty of cars around so they hadn't gone far.... we would check back later all being well.

Further round the loop we had a nice sighting of a pale chanting goshawk. There's something about this particular loop which seems to attract them as they are often seen on the bushes here

We did an initial exploration up Gorah loop to Carols Rest, but along the way we were very fortunate to spot and actually photograph a duiker. They're not often seen in Addo during the day, and normally the moment they see you they bolt away so it was great to get some pics O/\ O/\

Gorah loop was otherwise quiet except for a couple of dagga boys grazing near Carols Rest O:V

We trundled back down past the lions who were still flat out somewhere in the bushes and decided to check out hyena dens at Rooidam. They weren't to be seen, but just as we arrived a herd of elephant came down to drink. It was incredible to see them form a line - they normally just circle around the water holes, but this was much more like the line up you get at riverfronts such as Chobe... and to put the icing on the cake Valli Moosa joined the gang O\/ O\/ O/\ O/\

This was already a very special sighting, but following the sad news of Valli being killed by another bull this will remain as a very fond memory of this gentle giant

As evening wore on we again checked the potential bat-eared fox den sites without any luck. There only seemed to be kudu around O**

Heading back to the lions, we came across an extremely new-born red hartebeest calf - it clearly still had its umbilical cord visible :shock:

Knowing that the lions were close by, it was perhaps not surprising that its mom seemed to be on high alert

However she didn't need to worry. Although the lions were visible again they weren't going anywhere fast!

Perhaps they would be up and moving for us if we got up early the next morning -O- :-?

TBC

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Great pic of the PCG \O

I just love the photos of the "Gang" and some nice memory pics of Valli Moosa ^Q^ ^Q^

Very flat lions lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Love the ellie pics...so sad about Valli! :-(

The calf is extra cute! \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Nice Brown Duiker pic, Peej...ja, they are difficult to catch! :shock:

Your last pics of Vallie then? Very good! X#X

Superb baby! ^Q^

I still think those buffalo have been bred...they are all meant to look like this!:

buffalo_in_road.jpg

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

superb "gang" of Elephants ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I did think those buffs looked a bit like bison! lol

nan

Post by nan »

and there is some nice horns \O ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The late Valli Moosa... and he never bothered to show himself to me. Now there won't be any opportunity anymore :-(

On a positive note: Your sightings never fail to amaze - and educate! The duiker is an animal I hadn't known you could find in Addo O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales of Addo Elephant National Park”