Where Am I Sitting...in words! (Winner Continues)

Have some fun answering Quizzes of a wild nature and learn at the same time
Toko

Re: Where Am I Sitting...in words! (Winner Continues)

Post by Toko »

Amoli wrote:
leachy wrote::) :) :) :)

are you in the vicinity of cathedral peak, cathkin peak, monks cowl, ships prow ????
I have now turned the compass right side up... tch tch :oops:

I will go with Leachy on Cathedral Peak or even Mikes Pass (because of the Gorge)...

but I don't see the general :evil: Is he still there ? :lol: :lol:

Toko

Post by Toko »

Bushveld Jock wrote:You all moved in the right direction. By the way its a National Park and you can see the Drakensberg from there but not the Southern or some of the Central

Next clue: One of the few NP where you will find the kalkoen ibis and black wildebeest and oribi (oorbietjie).

Toko

Post by Toko »

Amoli wrote:ok - I am exhausted running up this way....

I am now in the ROYAL NATAL NATIONAL PARK.

at Thendele - the Sentinel behind me and ...... but where's the general?

Toko

Post by Toko »

Bushveld Jock wrote:Amoli,

You must still climb that mountain, just think about those kaalvoet Voortrekker tannies that crossed these mountains. Luckily you can drive, but it will be shorter to walk (~ 45 -50 km but not quicker -O -O -O -O The first stop will be the pub at Witsieshoek 0:0 )

To see the sunrise and the Sentinal where must you be? (thats not turning around :roll: , but seeing both at the same time \O )

Toko

Post by Toko »

Amoli wrote:Witsieshoek Mountain Resort ???? How can you see the imaginary ocean from there ???

.... en waar's die generaal ? (where's the general) I didn't do all this for nothing!!! -O -O -O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Thats only the pit stop before heading further. Maybe you must get that Lesotho ponies to help you across the mountains or you can try this mode of transport

Enjoy the hike I will wave when you are close.

Image Z1

Toko

Post by Toko »

Amoli wrote:Slow down and turn around.
I was on the A1 leading to A14 - through the Sani Pass, R617 and R612 and I could smell the ocean.
Then I knew.... turn around, this is wrong O/ O/ More haste, less speed.....

Think I will head toward Maliba which is situated within Tsehlanyane National Park.
They reckon it is the highest pub in the.... can't remember.
Some chalets are above the clouds, or maybe the clouds are below the chalets - Roof of Africa feeling
Beautiful sight - but much cooler than down in the gorges. :lol:

I will have a drink and wait for the next clue. This trip is using up a lot of 'juice' -O

Toko

Post by Toko »

Bushveld Jock wrote:Amoli was so far the closest, but is now the furthest away. Amoli I know the bike is fast and 500 km on the bike is maybe like 50 km to you. The trip should not have taken more than 30 min on that bike.

Last clue: The highest peak in this park and SANParks is Ribbokkop at 2829m with Generaalskop at 2732 m slightly north-east.

There is a small town close by popular for arts, food and pubs. Steelwings 11 -11-11 maybe ring a bell. Its not the town but the park closeby.

Hope you get the answer tonight, because this is the last clue :twisted:

Toko

Post by Toko »

Amoli wrote:Ok, found my general(kop) and Reebokkop.

The town is Clarens.

....??? Need to just page back, but I do remember Leachy saying Golden Gate. Nope - that was all imagination

I know of GG and Royal Park and then the park at Sterkfontein dam (been at all three). Is there another 'little' one?

EDIT :

I also found the summit now and the ravine (smaller than a gorge). My guess..... Golden Gate- but I don't know where.

We once had a rally there and arrived in the dark.
When we woke up the next morning we were totally surrounded by mountains, and we no idea where we could have entered. :D
We also climbed the mountain opposite the most obvious one.. and SO said he had never felt so near to heaven than there.
Awesome place.

Toko

Post by Toko »

You have arrive at the right place. \O When entering from Clarens and after passing Glen Reenen you will find a turn of to your left to the Highlands Mountain retreat (highest camp in Sanparks - we visit it when it was under snow). Its a loop returning back to the main road. After the turn-off to the camp you get to a lookout over a vulture restaurant. From there you can see the Drakensberg (Sentinal, Devils Tooth and Amphitheatre - think Catkin peak as well) and if you lucky Lammergeier flying over. We once had the luck, but not on the second visit. The general is Generaalskop - a very tough climb to the top.

Just outside the park border you will find the turnoff to Phuthaditjhaba. When following the road to Witsieshoek you can park above Royal NP and walk to the top of Tugela. From GG to Witsies is about 50 km :wink:

OK the next question is yours. \O O/\

Return to “Africa Wild Quizzies & Games”