Africa's Giant Tuskers

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
aat

Re: Africa's Giant Tuskers

Post by aat »

Thanks for the info 100ponder ! X#X

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Amazing!!!!!

Seems a different mindset there...conserve and report, and deal with poachers instead of hiding these glorious animals from view? :-?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
aat

Post by aat »

I think it not a bad idea to put them in the spotlights.

As we all know most of the information about rhino and elephants (tuskers) is from people knowing where they are.

Showing them does not make any difference I think. Awareness how important they are can have a positive effect (I hope)

Some organizations avoid posting elephants while at their websites info about the range of elephants (tuskers) is available in detail..
Some travel organizations advertise with big tusker pictures (kenya - tanzania) so it's difficult to hide all info
Richprins wrote:Amazing!!!!!

Seems a different mindset there...conserve and report, and deal with poachers instead of hiding these glorious animals from view? :-?

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

It just struck me - on SANPARKS' website active discussion and participation in following Big Tuskers was terminated due to an undisclosed agenda. The Big Tuskers thread was replaced by a meaningless thread to ID tuskers where photos are rare and user requests are just referred to - the actual requests are kept away from the public eye - all very clandestine. Many tuskers and potential tuskers regularly observed are craftily side stepped - no records.

Isn't this setting the scene for large scale "harvesting" of the better tuskers without any-one getting a grip on why such tuskers will not be seen anymore?

Go and read Terry Irvin's book "Memoirs of an African Hunter" where he was the game ranger standing between the Tanzanian wildlife authorities and commercial poaching. Also read Ron Thomson's article called "Africa's Wildlife Armageddon" in the March/April edition of the African Outfitter magazine where such like incidents in Tanzania is discussed.

Luckily we have websites like "Africa Wild" and TUSKERSOFAFRICA where big tuskers are openly recorded - so now there is record although another website might try to reason away the existence of such tuskers.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Thank you, 100ponder \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

^Q^ ^Q^

aat

Post by aat »

Very well said and nothing to add.... ^Q^ ^Q^
100ponder wrote:It just struck me - on SANPARKS' website active discussion and participation in following Big Tuskers was terminated due to an undisclosed agenda. The Big Tuskers thread was replaced by a meaningless thread to ID tuskers where photos are rare and user requests are just referred to - the actual requests are kept away from the public eye - all very clandestine. Many tuskers and potential tuskers regularly observed are craftily side stepped - no records.

Isn't this setting the scene for large scale "harvesting" of the better tuskers without any-one getting a grip on why such tuskers will not be seen anymore?

Go and read Terry Irvin's book "Memoirs of an African Hunter" where he was the game ranger standing between the Tanzanian wildlife authorities and commercial poaching. Also read Ron Thomson's article called "Africa's Wildlife Armageddon" in the March/April edition of the African Outfitter magazine where such like incidents in Tanzania is discussed.

Luckily we have websites like "Africa Wild" and TUSKERSOFAFRICA where big tuskers are openly recorded - so now there is record although another website might try to reason away the existence of such tuskers.

100ponder

Post by 100ponder »

The February 2016 report from the Tsavo Trust :-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

That's a serious observation plan \O

Never seen a cow with such long tusks O:V

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Well done, 100p! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Not so sure about the SP conspiracy theory, I think they are just naturally possessive! lol

Interesting that melanistic serval! :shock:

My wild speculation is that bull died naturally....they scrabble around in weird places trying to get up? --00--

All the tusks seem very long but not so heavy? 40kg is the only weight I've spotted there? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Mammals”