Black-winged Kite in the Skies of Switzerland

Discussions and information on all Southern African Birds
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Black-winged Kite in the Skies of Switzerland

Post by Lisbeth »

The white kite = Black-winged Kite: a superb sight in the skies of Switzerland
In the last two years it has been sighted at least 18 times: it is recognizable for its characteristic "holy spirit" hovering flight, white and grey-blue plumage, and amber eyes.

The migration period is now behind us and the morning bird concert decreases considerably. However, it is still possible to make interesting observations in June. In recent years, for example, the rare white kite has appeared in increasing numbers in Switzerland, as documented by the Swiss Ornithological Institute in its annual report on the situation of Swiss birdlife. At first glance it could be mistaken for a seagull, were it not for its characteristic "holy spirit" hovering in search of mice or for its pose on top of trees: it is in fact the white kite. The white plumage below, blue-gray above and the amber eyes make it a superb sight. Although its name refers to its kite cousins, its size is smaller, comparable to that of a Kestrel. The white kite reproduces mainly in Africa and Asia. In Europe it reproduces only in the Iberian peninsula and in western France. First observed in Switzerland in 1990, its presence remained rare until 2010, with only seven reports. Since then the numbers have exploded: since 2014 it has been spotted every year in Switzerland. In the past two years, the white kite has been sighted at least 18 times in Switzerland. The expansion of the species in Spain and Portugal is explained by the fact that the white kite finds habitats similar to savannas with many mice. From there it is slowly spreading to the northwest. It does not nest in Switzerland yet, but it cannot be ruled out that it will also settle here. Whether it is a future breeder or a regular visitor, the white kite is a favorite of bird watchers as summer approaches.

© Mathias Schäf

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Black-winged Kite in the Skies of Switzerland

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^

Didn't know they were there too! :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Neither did I lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Cool!!! I'm a bit jealous even :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Birds”