SANParks and the COVID 19 pandemic

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
Dzombo

Re: Coronavirus cripples Africa’s safari industry

Post by Dzombo »

Mel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm Whereas I appreciate the necessity of this decision, I'm devastated cause now we're not able to take up the booking of our lifetime.
Will you be able to re-book for later in the year / next year??

RogerFraser
Site Admin

SANParks responds to COVID 19 pandemic as it hits closer to home

Post by RogerFraser »

https://www.sanparks.org/about/news/def ... jTczq0rDdw

16 March 2020

South African National Parks (SANParks) has been working on measures to combat the spread of the COVID 19 epidemic (caused by the novel corona virus, SARS-CV2) in line with the actions announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa last night (Sunday, 15 March 2020).

SANParks, CEO, Fundisile Mketeni said as we all face this unprecedented and unpredictable situation, SANParks would like to assure all its staff and visitors that their health and wellbeing is of critical importance. “It is for this reason that we are introducing measures to enhance hygiene protocols in accordance with the World Health Organisation (WHO) guidelines.”

“We are taking extra measures to enhance cleaning and hygiene protocols in all our parks. Furthermore, we are working closely with a team of experts from the health and tourism sector to assess and guide interventions of a daily basis.”

He further indicated that he understood the level of uncertainty and anxiety associated with international travel, but wanted to assure the South African public that our national Parks will remain open due this time and will be taking necessary precaution to ensure visitor and staff safety.

“In these trying times, it should also come as some relief to people weary from disease outbreak concerns, that National Parks with its wide-open spaces, low-density tourist numbers, self-drive and self-catering accommodation options, is still able to provide excellent opportunities for isolation, rest and relaxation.”

However, should travellers still be concerned about their vacation plans to SANParks, we would rather encourage visitors to consider postponement to a later stage. SANParks has reviewed its reservations policy to accommodate its valued guests and are happy to announce that all amendments and postponements will not be penalised or charged extra fees (T&Cs apply).I n instances where the traveller may not have a fixed date for the postponed booking, they should contact the call centre at reservations@sanparks.org. Cancellations will however be subjected to the standard cancellation terms and conditions.

SANParks takes note of the closure of certain ports of entry. “It is against this background that SANParks would advise travelers intending to enter/exit our parks through the following border posts: Alexandra Bay near and Sendelingsdrift in Richtersveld National Park, Tweerivieren in Kgalagadi National Park as well as Pafuri and Giriyondo border posts in the Kruger National Park, that those border gates will be closed for entry. This is in line with government’s strategy to mitigate the impact of COVID 19.” Mketeni said.

We urge travellers who elect to proceed with their travel plans, to assist us to mitigate the spread of the disease by practicing good hygiene & social distancing principles and that we are more than happy to accommodate them in our National Parks, concluded Mketeni.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks)
Corporate Communications: Tel: 012 426 5170

Media Enquiries:
Reynold “Rey” Thakhuli: SANParks Acting Head of Communications Tel: 012 426 5203 cell: 073 373 4999 or email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: SANParks responds to COVID 19 pandemic as it hits closer to home

Post by Richprins »

Sounds good! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Presumably, they know that they must stop all morning, afternoon. evening and night drives O** People are sitting too close to each other. No walks nor bush braais etc.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Last night, after Ramaphosa's speech, I had sent an email to SanParks about moving our booking to a different one.
The answer I got was that booking terms and conditions apply, with a copy of the passage that fitted a cancellation
less than 31 days prior to the starting day of the trip. :evil:

Now that this announcement is out, I've sent yet another email a few hours ago. Let's see what the answer will be
next. O**

We'd even be prepared to squeeze in two weeks in Kruger this summer (European summer, that is) if we could get
the flight with SAA since they offered free re-bookings (and did so already last night O** ). But for now it seems
that the demand is too high for the period that we could make it. So we'll probably lose that money.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Coronavirus cripples Africa’s safari industry

Post by Mel »

Dzombo wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:41 am
Mel wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:55 pm Whereas I appreciate the necessity of this decision, I'm devastated cause now we're not able to take up the booking of our lifetime.
Will you be able to re-book for later in the year / next year??
Dunno yet. We're still negotiating with SanParks. Our flight is probably lost though.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Holding thumbs for you Mel. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Just clearly ask for a credit, Mello! :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

SANParks announce cancellation policy
Posted on 16 March 2020

SANParks has announced a policy for changes or cancellations to holiday reservations. The option to get a full refund or to postpone your trip are available but conditions do apply.

People will be eligible for a full refund if requested 30 days prior to the date of arrival. In a statement, SANParks said: ‘SANParks retains the right to change any tariffs, services or rules without prior notification.

‘Should you wish to peg the price for the future bookings, full payment of the itinerary within 30 days from the date of booking will secure the booked price provided no changes are made after payment is made,’

With regards to deposits, cancellations and modifications these are the policies in place:

Deposits:
– Reservations made 365 days in advance pay 50% within 30 days of making the booking

– Balance (50%) is payable 60 days before arrival

– Reservations made 31 to 60 days in advance pay 100% within 7 days of making the booking

– Reservations made within 30 days pay 100% within 3 days of making the reservation

– Reservations made within 4 days of arrival are to be paid immediately

Cancellations:
– Percentage is calculated on the client’s total reservation cost payable

– Cancelling within 30 to 15 days before arrival: 25%

– Cancel within 14-7 days before arrival: 50%

– Cancel within 6 days or less: 100%

– If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees

Modifications:
– For downgrading a reservation when a deposit has been paid, a percentage is calculated on the difference:

– Modify within 30 to 15 days before arrival: 25%

– Modify within 14 to 17 days before arrival: 50%

– Modify within 6 days and less: 100%

– When modifying the arrival date to an earlier date, no modification fees will be charged, unless the total cost is decreased and the arrival date before the modification fell inside the 30-day period

– If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees.

* There are no cancellation or modification fees changed on conservation fees but day permit booking fees are non-refundable

https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-news/s ... xmVkZmebm8

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Not very clear all of it :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”