Three banded Plover

Long Tailed widowbird

Blacksmith Lapwing

African Marsh Harrier - in the distance

Goliath heron

Sharifa

Re: Marievale Bird Sanctuary

Post by Sharifa »

steamtrainfan wrote:I have just got to get to Marievale.

Sharifa, may I ask what camera and lens were you using here?
We (SO and I) use a Canon 100-400mm lens on a 7D body and canon 500mm lens on a 1D Mark IV Body. I cannot handhold the latter but get to use in hides on a bean bag :-)

Sharifa

Re: Marievale Bird Sanctuary

Post by Sharifa »

The best for last :-)

Hottentot Teal

and Cape Shovelers

Will definitely go back to Marievale.

steamtrainfan

Re: Marievale Bird Sanctuary *

Post by steamtrainfan »

I have to take Joan to a conference at Sunward Park Hospital at about 06:30 Thursday morning.

I thought of instead of coming all the way back to Pretoria that I could pop in at Marievale for the day. Looking at the map it does not seen to far from the Sunward Park Hospital.

Are the roads still passable at the moment?

Any suggestions as to which hide to head for?

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Sharifa I was thinking of going there Sunday past but didn't, wanting to try the new body out there :-)

STF what time will you be there :-)

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Amoli wrote:I don't have my map book with me, but it is best approached from (is it the R42) as suggested on the internet.

I duck for the first hide, lots of ducks - and I have found the second hide great also. That's where I got pics of the banded martin - and there is a resident Burchells coucal.
Will look at the hide names tonight and post again.
Yip , it is the R42 if one turns right off the N17 heading east.

Look forward to receiving the hide names.

PRWIN wrote:STF what time will you be there
I am going to drop Joan off at Sunward Hospital at about 06:30 so should be at Marievale at about 07:00.

Brilliant photos again PRWIN. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

.The R42 is correct and this will take you to Nigel. Drive through the town and then Marievale is well sign posted after that.

The first two Hides are most productive, lots of very active birds. I think they are the Hadeda and Hamerkop Hides.
The roads are gravel and not bad getting to the first two Hides. Maybe now with the rains we had I would be careful near the bridge, it might be waterlogged.

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks very much for the advice Sharifa.

I will keep an eye open for waterlogged roads.
Sharifa wrote:The R42 is correct and this will take you to Nigel. Drive through the town and then Marievale is well sign posted after that.
Sharifa, just a question. Looking at my map and driving south on the R42 from the N17 is Marievale not before reaching Nigel? -O-

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

It is before Nigel if you coming from the N17 (not sure if that gate is open at 07h00) -O-

STF if you are coming from the N17 on the R42 there is a turn off before you go over the Blesbokspruit on the right, you will see houses and a turn off. ( the path/road is paved) If that gate is locked you will then have to go around, go over the Blesbokspruit and take the first road right, you will go past a brick factory and 1 or 2 stables, ahead the road will turn to the left and if I can remember correctly it also becomes dirt .Take the dirt road going straight (right) and follow that ,about 400m +_ it will turn right and you will have a mine dump on the left of you ,just after that you will come to the Blesbokspruit. Like Sharifa says not sure if the road coming from this side will be waterlogged as the hides are on the other side :-)

Might just join you, have to juggle a couple of things first \O

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Why have I only seen this lovely collection of birds now 0- :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Gauteng Province Game Parks & Nature Reserves”