SANParks' Culling Policy

Information and Discussions on Management Issues in SANParks
okie

Re: Legal culling of 900 000 jackals and caracals

Post by okie »

Hmmmmm...... seems as if the cat has been put amongst the pigeons 0*\
Lets put another cat in amongst them .
IMHO , this report is an overreaction , and to some extent a misrepresentation in order to sweep up public outrage .
The permit allows 480 farmers to kill up to a maximum of 10 predators per day , and collectively , over a period of time could translate into around 900 000 animals . Now , any reasonable person , with capability of reasonable thinking , will realise that such a number is just impossible . I do not think that there are so many jackals in the whole of Africa , never mind just in the farming area within the Western Cape . Although one of my neighbours ( about 4 kilometres away from me ) with a farm up in a kloof into the mountain does say that on occasion caracals kill his geese , personally , in more than 20 years here in Worcester , I have never even seen 1 jackal .
So , it certainly not as if this whole region is absolutely teeming with these predators , and that suddenly they may be wiped out :shock: Far from it . In general , especially smallstock farmers do have a problem with jackals and caracals , which kill 1000's of sheep and goats every year , and causing R'millions in damages . And that , plus stock-theft , are the two most important factors which actually keep stock number down , and contribute much to cause high red-meat prices :O^
Both Jackals and caracals are territorial , and as soon as one individual is " taken out " , then another one moves in . As such , if a farmer kills a few of them , as long as the habitat remains unaltered , then very soon they are being replaced by " new ones " moving in .
So , therefore , indiscriminately killing them does not really help , but what else is there to do ?

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

okie wrote: Hmmmmm...... seems as if the cat has been put amongst the pigeons 0*\
..........Although one of my neighbours ( about 4 kilometres away from me ) with a farm up in a kloof into the mountain does say that on occasion caracals kill his geese , personally , in more than 20 years here in Worcester , I have never even seen 1 jackal.......
here is the same, Foxes "levy" hens, if farmers don't put Inside a chicken coop for the night.... one by one till the last one ;-) and even if the chicken coop is not very well closed
don't we say "as sly as a Fox"

How I would like to see/have a Caracal under my balcony... instead of a Fox O:V

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks for putting it into perspective okie. \O

okie

Post by okie »

\O Nan & Flutterby .

Just to show how " unreasonable " that report is , lets consider this . It actually implies a number of almost 900 000 individual kills - see quote : Each permit holder was permitted to kill five caracals and five jackals a day for 183 consecutive days. This adds up to a stupendous 894 250 individual kills -- Unquote .

Just think , if that is so , then there must have been at least that same number around prior to the killing period . If one assumes now each one of those 900 000 jackals/caracals had killed just one sheep in the previous 12 months , it means 900,000 sheep , at a price of R1000 ( that's cheap ) per sheep , or a total cost to the farmers of R900 million :shock:
Oh , and BTW , lets say each sheep has a slaughtered carcass weight of say 20 kg only , then the total cost to farmer ( abbatoir prices ) , at only R40 per kilo , would be around R75 billion .

Enough is enough
okie

Post by okie »

\O Nan & Flutterby .

Just to show how " unreasonable " that report is , lets consider this . It actually implies a number of almost 900 000 individual kills - see quote : Each permit holder was permitted to kill five caracals and five jackals a day for 183 consecutive days. This adds up to a stupendous 894 250 individual kills -- Unquote .

Just think , if that is so , then there must have been at least that same number around prior to the killing period . If one assumes now each one of those 900 000 jackals/caracals had killed just one sheep in the previous 12 months , it means 900,000 sheep , at a price of R1000 ( that's cheap ) per sheep , or a total cost to the farmers of R900 million :shock:
Oh , and BTW , lets say each sheep only has a slaughtered carcass weight of say 20 kg only , then the total cost to farmer ( abbatoir prices ) , at only R40 per kilo , would still be around R750 million .

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

We have a few wolves in the mountains, but they are protected. If they kill a sheep or three the farmer is indemnified. So everybody is happy....almost ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Can farmers here insure their livestock against kills from wildlife?

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmm... No , not as far as I know . And if possible , then probably very expensive , like crop-insurance say against hail-damage - which can cost you as much as 33 % of the value of the crop 0*\
So , even if it does not hail , then after paying the insurance premium , you only basically receive 66 % of the value of the crop .......

Enough is enough
Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

I would like to give that smirking Bait shooter, who shot a harmless Brown Hyena, a 300 grain fast expanding bullet through his Boep from a .375 H&H magnum ...that should wipe that smirk off his face

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

In any case the way these permits to kill are given is totally wrong. I am sure there is another way! The single farmer should not be allowed to kill whatever comes his way. Only professionals should do the job. Rangers or other.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “General Management Issues - SANParks”