Browns in Kruger April 2017

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger April 2017

Post by Bushcraft »

Alf wrote:Interesting start again BC.....

Very famous leopard spot that \O
Shot Alf \O Ja, plenty leopard seen in that spot over the years X#X

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

7th Lower Sabie

I woke still faulty and had to face the morning public ablutions so I was tempted to relocate the cotton wool from my ears to my nose, but I eventually made it to the waiting clan in the car just after 6am.

The plan this morning was to head down the S28 for a while before turning and heading up to the Golf Club. We packed bread and tomato sauce with the intention of buying some hot chips and then cruising off to the nursery for an early lunchtime hot chip sarmie picnic as we didn’t feel like hanging around the EH hut area over lunch.

We stopped first next to the tree where the dead leopard cub had been but it was gone, so we continued down the S28 stopping for a woodlands, a stroppy elephant which was fortunately far enough from the road for the Cow to remained calm and then some buffalo stuck their heads out of the grass.

A few km later we found our first lions of the trip but they were more like tuffs of grass unless they stood up. Fortunately this was a mating couple waking up however when the male pounced we could only see his bum popping up above the grass, so we decided to hang around for round 2 with the hope of getting a better view, but it was only slightly better. Minutes later we spotted another male hanging around playing pepping Tom through the grass.

The lions all lay down again, disappeared in the grass and we assumed that the round 3 view would be the same, so we turned and headed back towards Lower Sabie, but a few km later stopped for more lions which we had missed initially, however we weren’t fast enough with the cameras and they lay down. After 5 minutes of slowly driving backwards and forwards we got a proof ear pic of 1 lioness.

Next up we found 2 jackals, a Burchell’s which was lining itself up for a backfire and then an ellie herd heading for a morning drink just outside Lower Sabie.

To be continued

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

The S28 definitely seemed to be one of the best roads for game this April. \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

7th Lower Sabie continued

Nobody needed the loo so we continued past Lower Sabie and stopped at Sunset Dam which produced all the normal locals but we only stopped again just outside Nkuhlu for the local boon gang and one teenager got lucky in the background.

Next up were more of the usual suspects, some lion in the riverbed and an ugly marabou in a tree.

We arrived in the Skukuza area earlier than expected so we decided to park off at Lake Panic for a while before heading to the Golf Club.

A carpark had plenty cars in it though, so I wasn’t sure if it going to be my scene, but fortunately a big gang left just after we arrived so it was peaceful.

A cormorant had an itch, a monitor was trying to find some sun, a malachite was hunting and a wet woodlands was trying to dry out.

After around 15 minutes of peace a new gang arrived so we ducked off to the club.

We really enjoy the Golf Club, especially when it’s quiet as it was this day and the weather was still suspect, so we decided to park off there and eat the hot chips.
At around 1pm we left the club and decided to explore a little of the S1 area before heading back to Lower Sabie and first up was a Marshall and then my excitement hit a high as we found a leopard snoozing.

To be continued

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Another leopard!! :shock: I knew you were going to see more than we did! ^0^

nan

Post by nan »

love the Woodland, and of course Léopards O/\

seems the S28 is the Cheetah's road :-?

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very, nice BC, a leopard a day keeps the doctor away! lol

You are into your bird pics this time! :-0

We must enjoy the Golf Club, as it looks like it will be privatised at some stage? -O-

Interesting that dead leopard cub disappearing...always a strange business, cat on cat violence... :-?

I changed my spelling before I saw your post! ^0^

"Peeping Tom" is the right spelling, and it is a "Martial" eagle. =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:The S28 definitely seemed to be one of the best roads for game this April. \O
So you must have got action on it also O/\ O/\

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Another leopard!! :shock: I knew you were going to see more than we did! ^0^
Ja, first few days we were ok for leopard, but then started to hit a miss :O^ I wouldn't say we spotted more flutts, this trip has a few major quiet times 0:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

nan wrote:love the Woodland, and of course Léopards O/\

seems the S28 is the Cheetah's road :-?

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks nan \O S28, yes normally a cheetah road X#X

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”