And then the rain set in or at dusk the bush comes alive

okie

Re: And then the rain set in or at dusk the bush comes alive

Post by okie »

Dindingwe wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:16 am Yes, the yellow-footed ones are definitely Little Egrets.

For the other ones, Okie cast some doubt in my mind. Cattle Egrets often have, even in non breeding plumage, some yellowish feathers on the head, that we do not see here, and don't have completely black legs (rather grey-brownish). But the average size of Yellow-billed Egret, as its other name suggests (Intermediate Egret), is bigger than Little Egrets, which is not the case here. For that reason, I tend to think they are Cattle Egrets, but I am not 100% certain.
Could be juvies --- cattle egrets \O

Enough is enough
nan

Post by nan »

Sorry Pumbaa.... missed the start... for some reasons
and what a nice start
love all the birds and I especialy love the Mousebirds.... I don't know why... :-?

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Dindingwe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 pm Amazing the Cut-throat Finches, never spotted in the Kruger (nor elsewhere)...

In flight, there are both Cattle Egret (black foot, yellow bill) and Litlle Egret (yellow foot, black bill) !
Dindingwe wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:16 am Yes, the yellow-footed ones are definitely Little Egrets.

For the other ones, Okie cast some doubt in my mind. Cattle Egrets often have, even in non breeding plumage, some yellowish feathers on the head, that we do not see here, and don't have completely black legs (rather grey-brownish). But the average size of Yellow-billed Egret, as its other name suggests (Intermediate Egret), is bigger than Little Egrets, which is not the case here. For that reason, I tend to think they are Cattle Egrets, but I am not 100% certain.
Thanks for correcting me regarding the egrets X#X and for popping in

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Richprins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 pm Gonna wait for the end to the other report first, Pumbaa, then will catch up! ^0^
^0^ The end of the other one is near but I guess this one will again take a bit longer O** O**

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:46 pm Great birds you found there \O Were you staying just on the other side of the river near Marloth?
Lisbeth wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:57 am
Dindingwe wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:02 pm Amazing the Cut-throat Finches, never spotted in the Kruger (nor elsewhere)...

In flight, there are both Cattle Egret (black foot, yellow bill) and Litlle Egret (yellow foot, black bill) !
Dindingwe already did, Okie and if you want, I can confirm it too lol \O
Lisbeth wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:56 am I saw these in Marloth, that's why I asked Pumbaa if they were staying at Ngwenya Lodge as it is quite close. Strange that there are species of birds just on the other side of the river, but that you do not find in Kruger :-?
IMG_4920.JPG
Sorry for "steeling" a piece of your TT Pumbaa ;-)
Lisbeth, we stayed in Malelane at the river in the Rio Vista Lodge a hint from Mel ^Q^ Needless to say that we were more than happy with that location and the restaurant was also great O/\

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

okie wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:11 am
Pumbaa wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:39 pm

We noticed lots of cattle egrets in flight

Pumbaa , great start , and looking forward to more 0()

About the egrets , those rather look like 1 ) 3 x Yellow billed egrets , with yellow bills , dark legs and toes .
Plus 2 ) 3 x Little egrets , with black bills , black legs , with yellow toes .
Can anyone else comment/confirm ?
okie wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Could be juvies --- cattle egrets \O
More is on the way and also thanks for your correction about the egrets ^Q^

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Flutterby wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 am Already lots of sightings to start off your trip! \O \O
Needless to say that we were already very happy about the bird sightings O/\
nan wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:03 pm Sorry Pumbaa.... missed the start... for some reasons
and what a nice start
love all the birds and I especialy love the Mousebirds.... I don't know why... :-?

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
Now you are here, nan, and thanks O0

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Wow – Obviously birding will be very successful this year or it was even the luck of the moment at least we were more than happy as also another bulbul could be captured

and also a long-billed combrec

and more cut throat finches.

Whilst we were busy in watching and photographing all the birdies more elephants arrived on the edge of the other side of the riverbed and all of them slipped down the sand on their knees which we only could see out the corner of our eyes not to miss any birds but now all the birds were gone and so we could concentrate again onto to the several elephant herds

and whilst observing them we felt so happy to be back again as only now we noticed how much we have missed that all.

Two teenies obviously were best friends

and loved to play hide and seek in the bushes

PuMbAa

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

and even more smaller ones were also around

and as always they do had a high cuteness factor.

As already said hundreds of egrets could be seen on the ground always following the elephants and this little one had great fun in chasing them away,

this gorgeous little elephant sought shelter close to mom

whilst our teenies ones were busy in playing pushing.

At least we had difficulties in deciding where to look first because it were so many elephants around

This little one obviously utilized the absence of mom in neglecting the table manners as feeding whilst lying on the ground was so wonderful.

to be continued...

PuMbAa

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Ellies are always entertaining! :yes:

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”