Browns in Kruger September 2021

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger September 2021

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:22 pm There are far too many people who do not know how to behave when there are animals around 0*\ Strange, because it's only a question of common sense :-? -O-

Albert likes to have a personal relationship with the animals. Giving them names must be her way ;-)
0()
Thanks again Lisbeth for posting \O

All 3 of my girls name certain individual animals, but normally individuals we have seen numerous times. Ed scored a name after the 1st sighting though, so he must have made an impression ;-)

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:42 pm 0: 0:

Such larney sightings, Bushy! ^Q^

That first leopard is an absolute beaut! :yes:

And great pics from Bushpig! [O]

I like your new word "entraining"! =O:
I think we stuffed up the leopard's hunt though. If you look at the close up pics you can see the saliva, but we didn't see the leopard until the last minute 0:

Bushpig will be stoked X#X

Corrected the word :twisted: the Cow's proof read failed O/

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

PJL wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:33 pm Great sightings all round BC ^Q^ ^Q^

I'm sure we must have crossed paths with some of your lion and leopard during our July trip lol

Was the 'cool older couple' by the S3 leopard sighting mutual friends U&M? Or just some new acquaintances?

Had to laugh about your freezing conditions on the way up... best pack your slippers next time ;-) =O: =O:
Howsit PJL 0/*

I'm sure you would have crossed paths with some of the same individuals \O

No it wasn't U&M, unfortunately 0: The last time I followed them we got 5 leopard on a morning drive <dop>

Slippers :twisted:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Pumbaa wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:11 pm And again incredible leopard luck, Bushcraft :-0 :-0

besides the idiots at the car window 0*\ 0*\ 0*\
Thanks again Pumbaa \O I see you guys also have amazing luck ^Q^ ^Q^

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Twigga wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:09 pm Fantastic O/\ O/\ O/\

Really enjoyed this TT so far , and thank you for your 2021 annual Cats & dogs census!

Your sightings just out of this world O\/

0()
0/* Twigga

Thanks for always checking out one of our TT's X#X

I hope things all good your side <sun>

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

30th Skukuza continued

The lion we had seen earlier had settled in the riverbed and “sausage” had moved to a lower branch at the back of the tree and only his butt was visible, however the gang of cars had grown, so we just cruised slowly past both sightings.

Our next stop for pics was on the H12 bridge.

“What’s that, there’s some vultures coming in, it’s an impala!”

There were no predators in sight, so I pulled over, switched off and we pulled out the binoculars to try and find the murderer.

After 5 minutes the vultures started to come in closer and then suddenly there was a squawk from the back seat.

“DOG!”

A lone wild dog came charging across from the other side of the riverbed and stopped at the impala.

15.jpg
15.jpg (188.22 KiB) Viewed 175 times

The wild dog took a few chomps and then started to trot off down the river again. The vultures checked an opening and in seconds they pulled in.
This caused the wild dog to pause, turn and then come charging back in and roar around after the vultures.

16.jpg
16.jpg (151.23 KiB) Viewed 175 times
18.jpg
18.jpg (150.54 KiB) Viewed 175 times
19.jpg
19.jpg (139.8 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

This process repeated many times over the next 15 minutes, and it was hilarious to watch, especially the next sequence below as the wild dog tripped halfway through the charge, nosedived amongst the vultures, and then took off in fright. (Can you see the dog in the last pic?)

20.jpg
20.jpg (156.82 KiB) Viewed 175 times
21.jpg
21.jpg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 175 times
22.jpg
22.jpg (156.81 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Eventually there were just too many vultures, and they were standing up to the dog, so it lost confidence and trotted off down the riverbed.
We stopped twice more for pics on the way to the golf club as a Korhaan got the Cow excited and some major doff looking impala gave us a laugh.

23.jpg
23.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

24.jpg
24.jpg (215.6 KiB) Viewed 175 times

The golf club stuffed up our order again, but they still had the 2 for 1 dop special, so I didn’t stress too much.

We cruised back to Skukuza after chow and spent the afternoon relaxing around camp. The Cow went on the odd mission with the camera and captured some birds.

26.jpg
26.jpg (209.37 KiB) Viewed 175 times
27.jpg
27.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 175 times

We left rather late for our afternoon drive as I was lacking in enthusiasm due to the windy gloomy weather, but we eventually settled on doing a short drive up the H1-2 and then returning via the H12/H4-1.

Our 1st sighting for the afternoon was a leopard and it was given away by a few cars on the side of the road, however it was a mission to get a clear view, so we just snapped some proof pics and continued on.

28.jpg
28.jpg (178.24 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Minutes later a bump on a branch that looked out of place got my attention, so I slowed and seconds later Bushpig and I shouted “LEOPARD!”

30.jpg
30.jpg (193.47 KiB) Viewed 175 times

We were the only car checking this leopard out, but the clock was ticking on us, so we made the decision to wait it out a little and to return to camp the same way rather than trying to complete the loop via the H12/H4-1

The sleepy leopard still hadn’t moved 15 minutes later, a few other cars had arrived, and the Garmin was starting to indicate it was time, so we reluctantly turned and headed for camp.

The 1st leopard of the afternoon had bailed out the tree and moved on, but we still had a little time, so we decided to do the short Alpha loop outside Skukuza which produced a few little bee-eaters that the Cow made me stalk with the car until she got a pic and then we found a young male lion hiding out deep in the grass/bush at the southern end of the loop.

31.jpg
31.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 175 times
32.jpg
32.jpg (164.44 KiB) Viewed 175 times

Back in camp we just got through our braai in time before the rain started and it seemed set in, so we all had an early night.

To be continued

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is a blessing that the Cow likes birds, if not we would be without :twisted:

The purple-crested-turaco would be bad to have missed O** Also the Little Bee-eater is a nice one!

0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”