Krugertripping this Summer...

Bushcraft

Re: Krugertripping this Summer...

Post by Bushcraft »

I also chase around many mornings looking for lion when I hear them from camp ;-)

I wonder what happened to the genet :-(

Fantastic male lions ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Male lion in the bush :-?

Love the sunset pic O/\

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Just catching up, and wow...you had some great sightings!! \O \O Two grysbok in that area must be almost unheard of!! :shock: ;-) I hope that little genet was ok! :-( And more lovely lion sightings!! \O \O

Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Lisbeth wrote:Poor littler genet! Hopefully it did not finish under a car O-/

Squirrel O/\ O/\ O/\ O:V

What kind of snout is it? :-? Lion?

Lovely sightings \O

No, because I stood with him within 10 minutes there were about 6 cars around him so nobody could drive over him, I did leave as there were already too many cars for my taste but he definitely moved off the road \O
Toko wrote:0/* Hello Heksie

Enjoyed catching up again ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Very pretty Candy-striped crinum O\/ O\/ O\/ and the bushes without animal are awesome O/\ O/\ O/\
Thanks now I know what flower it is as well O0 O0 O0 THe colours wree just amazing so I had to take a kiekie
Mel wrote:Note to Heksie: If you have dull moments in Kruger with sightings I have seen so far on this tale,
don't go to KTP as you might end up dying of empty landscapes. O** =O:

What's in that bush? -O-

Cute little genet! Hope it made it. 0/0
REally? We want to book KTP somewhere in 2015 so I won't like it?
harrys wrote:Awesome little Genet ^Q^ ^Q^
Thanks Harrys, was a great sighting as I never see genets really and then this one I had for a while on my own in the road O/\
Twigga wrote:^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Fantastic sightings again! H7 surely delivered O\/

Poor baby G - :-( :-( :-(

0()
The baby was maybe just cold as it is rather chilly some mornings even in December or he waited for mumsy but he wasn't hurt...
Bush Brat wrote:Wow Heksie! ^Q^ What great sightings you had...a baby genet and badger! ^Q^
I really like your pics...especially the one of the zebra with the morning light shining on it, and the baby genet! \O

Hope you found the Orpen pack! 0() 0()
Thanks BB, I try now to get some other views of the animals, didn't take pics of the general game before with the sunrise accentuating their beauty so trying it now O**
I did have a few special sightings that I didn't have on my wishlist and the baby genet was definitely one of them \O
No, I didn't see the orpen pack :-(
Bushcraft wrote:I also chase around many mornings looking for lion when I hear them from camp ;-)

I wonder what happened to the genet :-(

Fantastic male lions ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Male lion in the bush :-?

Love the sunset pic O/\
I wasn't that lucky that morning cause when I spoke to Sparrow, they left the camp about 20 minutes after me, they had a pride just outside the camp and they followed it to the H7 and then when Wendy left at 6:00 she had the 2 males and followed them to where I found them near Nsemani...
I hope and believe the baby genet decided to leave the tar soon after I left him... \O
Ya, it was a male lion in the bush but I only got one pic of his nose, hahahahahaha 0:
Flutterby wrote:Just catching up, and wow...you had some great sightings!! \O \O Two grysbok in that area must be almost unheard of!! :shock: ;-) I hope that little genet was ok! :-( And more lovely lion sightings!! \O \O
I didn't know that grysbok isn't seen in the central area, I haven't seen them a lot but I don't visit the central area as much as other people... -O-
I believe the genet is honky dory \O

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 12… an unexpected change in plans

22 December

I was glad spending another day at Satara so decided to take the normal routes S90->S41->S100 for a morning drive. I saw Sparrow and co this morning at the gate and they informed that they are going to enter the S39 N entrance and work their way down to the H7 so when the gate opened we waved each other goodbye and drove on our merry ways. I must say that it is best to drive N when you leave Satara camp as most cars rather drive the S100 and H6 or H7, a much quieter road for those that don’t want roadblocks etc.
I was driving extra slow this morning, I enjoyed everything and kept my eyes open for any movement in the grass but strangely enough my first sighting was something huge

The sun started to show itself and some zebbies posed for a sunrise kiekie

An ellie in the morning glow

Steenbokkie

And a duiker, they tend to run away before I can take a kiekie but this morning I got one

Then the beautiful view of Gudzani

An emerald spotted dove

And some baba-verves keeping me busy with their antics

I got to camp just before 10:00 and popped open a KPA as it started to get hot, just as I lit my first cigarette, my phone beeped and I saw that Wendy has sent me a message stating that she would rather stay 4 nights in CB than 3 if could not change our bookings from Malelane to CB the last few days so she is going to pack up camp and then move off BUT I am more than welcome to stay with the boys… my brain started ticking, which doesn’t happen regularly, and decided that I came to the Park with Wendy so where she goes I go. I started packing up and when everything was almost in my car she arrived. Also a bonus for my Satara trip was that we ran into Riverrat and we had a lekker chat whilst Wendy was taking down her tent and then just out of nowhere she started screaming… we ran towards her and saw this thing that was between her tent and flysheet!

Known as a tailless whip spider
Amblypygids range from 3 to 23.6 inches (7.6 to 60 cm) in size according to legspan. Their bodies are broad and highly flattened, with a solid carapace and a segmented abdomen. They have a pair of median eyes at the front of the carapace, located just above the chelicerae (in a manner somewhat similar to that of crustaceans), and possessed three smaller eye pairs placed further back on each side, for a total of eight eyes.
Amblypygids possess medium to poor eyesight. Their pedipalps, which serve as sensors for many related arachnids, are modified for grabbing and retaining prey, much like those of a mantis. The first pair of legs act as sensory organs and are not used for walking. The sensory legs are very thin and elongate, have numerous sensory receptors, and can extend several times the length of body. Typically, the animal holds one of these legs out in front of it as it moves, and uses the other to probe the terrain to the side.
All I want to comment is that this thing is bloody scary!
After getting rid of it, by chasing it with a water bottle, we packed in the last things and were off towards the South again. It was hot and there weren’t a lot of things on our way to CB.
A baby zeb

Egyptian goose with goslings

Purple rollers but the sun didn’t allow for nice kiekies

A herd of buffies

And then the only thing we saw in hundreds from LS to CB were these…

We got to the camp at 16:00 and it was pretty full, thinking where do we want to pitch up our new camp, pondering between a fence view with no shade what so ever or the shadiest spot in the camp…
We were gatvol of the afternoon heat so the trees won that day and it was the best decision that trip. We unpacked and our camp was chilling under the trees in no time with some sundowners. That night we got some wood from our neighbours as it would be their last night in the Park, how nice are the campers? And we also saw our first scorpion for the trip which wasn’t something I really wanted to see as I love either being barefoot or wearing slops…
We made a braai and had chicken sosaties with cous-cous salad together with our ice cold KPA’s. We decided that no matter what this is our home for the next 7 days, even if we have to sleep underneath other people’s cars.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Nice scenery pics and I love the ellies.

The cheeky vervet is a cutie O:V

I have always like CB camp O/\ .......and the S28 ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Heksie wrote:
Amblypygids range from 3 to 23.6 inches (7.6 to 60 cm) in size according to legspan.
Yikes! How big was this one?

Love the sunrise over the zebra \O

0() 0()

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Only catching up now, heksie!

Great stuff!

I like today's rhino...a creative pic, IMO! \O

Those whip scorpions are rare, and disgusting! Don't get very big down here, about baboon spider diameter? =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

nice Zebra's bums in nice landscape O/\
like too the baba-vervet =O:
a lot mised teeth/horns 0*\
\O very beautiful view of Gudzani, indeed a nice pond ^Q^
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Toko

Post by Toko »

Beautiful Emerald spotted dove O:V O:V O:V

The elegant arachnid is Damon variegatus totally harmless to humans having no venomous bite.

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Heks!

i looove that "g@tvol" sunrise :-0 Priceless!

CB a special gem \O

0()
Toko wrote: The elegant arachnid is Damon variegatus totally harmless to humans having no venomous bite.
:shock: O-/ :shock: Look like a lab experiment gone wrong
Last edited by Twigga on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Somewhere in Kruger

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”