stefan9

Re: Browns in Kruger October 2016

Post by stefan9 »

Love the doggie pics.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks Lisbeth, Pumbaa, RP and stefan9 for checking this episode out \O
I thought there were no medical issues on this trip?
I had a vicious headache O** Not a medical emergency =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

4th Lower Sabie

We woke to what seemed like a break in the strange weather so I was spritely even after having to venture through the ablution block.

This area can get crazy between 9am and 4pm when the day visitor gang is at its peak, so the plan was to head up the H4-1 at gate opening and then up the H1-2 to Tshokwane thereby avoiding the majority of the crowd.

The first sighting we stopped for was a couple of ellies chowing next to the road.

This morning we opted for the S79 causeway again rather than the tar and it turned out to be the correct decision as 6 lion cubs were cuddled up together just off the road.

They slowly started to wake up properly and soon the morning bond grooming started.

A few minutes later Bushpig lost control of her nose and let an elephant sneeze go which got me excited, but it seemed to have strange effect on the cubs and 3 started to wander curiously our direction. The 1 junior Rambo pulled in fairly close and puffed himself up as much as possible.

A few other cars started to arrive which resulted in the juniors getting a little overwhelmed, so they started to head deeper into the bush, so we chose to head on.

About 2km north of Nkuhlu things were still rather peaceful with no cars around and the rats were still jabbering about the lion cubs, but that changed in an instant when the Cow let rip

“THERE, they chasing it. GO”

Now I didn’t know what was potting “What, where!”

“THERE, lions chasing a warthog! GO!”

I still hadn’t see a thing, so just hit the accelerator which first had turbo lag and then nearly shot us off the road as we were on a corner.

“STOP!”

I then spotted what had got the Cow overexcited and she had developed a rather confused face, so I couldn’t help saying

“I wonder if that lion cub knows it’s a warthog”

A male lion was chasing his cubs around in the riverbed while the concerned mother tried to distract him. Eventually the male got bored and lazy, so parked off, but the cubs continued their mischief.

The H1-2 from the H12 produced only the usual gang, so we stopped a few times but didn’t take pics.

As we pulled into Tshokwane the Cow spotted Heksie and mates, so we had quick chat and we were both heading north. Our plan was to go up only as far as the S86 before heading back, but Heksie was certainly on an adventure with mates much further than us which I will leave for her TT.

Around 6km out of Tshokwane we bumped into Heksie again and another bunch of cars checking out 2 cheetah. They were a fair distance away and lying down, so we battled our way through a few pics and moved on while Heksie stayed a little longer.

Nothing much was happening at Mazithi Dam, but there wasn’t a lot of traffic on the roads and it was peaceful, so we decided to continue up to the S86 loop before heading back.

About 1km further up the road a familiar tail made an appearance.

To be continued

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Again! 0*\

That was a lot of lion cubs :shock: They need a good clean up, they are full of ticks or whatever it is. Mummies tongue should be able to help :yes:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Lovely cubbies. :-)

Alf

Post by Alf »

How lucky can the Browns be 0'

Amazing sightings in one day \O

Do you guys eat luck for breakfast -O-

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:Again! 0*\

That was a lot of lion cubs :shock: They need a good clean up, they are full of ticks or whatever it is. Mummies tongue should be able to help :yes:
Agreed, those cubs were in a terrible condition, but I suppose they all go through a tough time \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

stefan9 wrote:Lovely cubbies. :-)
Thanks stefan9 \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Alf wrote:How lucky can the Browns be 0'

Amazing sightings in one day \O

Do you guys eat luck for breakfast -O-
=O: We don't eat luck, but I wish I could =O:

Research and just make sure you are on the correct roads for what you are looking for at the correct time, then the rest is just timing and luck \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Turn page O/

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”