Browns in Kruger April 2017

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger April 2017

Post by Bushcraft »

13th Skukuza

Our plan this morning was simple and we headed for the rocks where the mother leopard had been with her cubs the previous evening, but we weren’t with the early gang so we knew others would be in that area before us, however we hoped the cubs would still be out in the morning sun.

We stopped for the odd usual suspect on the way to the S65 rocks, but not for long and when we arrived at the rocks I was upset to see a few cars parked off there already but we couldn’t see anything.

Seconds later we spotted the same toss OSV driver off the road and in the bush and then our “brown Discovery mates” so we pulled up next to them and to my surprise they were wild with anger.

Supposedly this same OSV driver had forced them half off the road a few km back in his rush to get here, he had flashed his lights at them a few times and then he had pushed past them while swearing at them.

We both vowed to report him to his company, which come to think of it, I still need to do.

The leopard cubs weren’t around, but our mates decided they were going to wait all morning if they had to, but I couldn’t handle sitting still after 15 minutes, so we decided to turn and head back to the S1/H11 before going down the H1-1 to Mathekenyane lookout which the rats love. (I later found out that the cubs never reappeared).

We stopped on the S1 section for an ellie in the bush and a monitor sun tanning.

A few km up the H11 from the S1 is a small ditch next to the road so we slowed to check it out and someone in the car, I can’t remember who, shouted “leopard”, then someone else shouted

“cheetah…………. no leopard”

I instantly started squealing “Where!”

When I spotted the curled up ball I also had to blink to confirm what it was even though it was close to us.

Seconds later the curled up ball moved and it was clearly a leopard

The leopard checked us out for a few minutes, but the crowd grew very quickly and plenty OSV’s also pulled in, so the leopard cruised off deeper into the bush and we continued on towards Mathekenyane.

Just before the rock a Korhaan pair cruised across the road which got the Cow rather excited

The rats roared off to take their pics while on the rock, the Cow went chasing after another bird and I wobbled around aimlessly as “relaxing on the rock” isn’t in my nature unless I have a case of beers with me.

It was a stinking hot day so we didn’t hang around too long on the rock, but as driving out a chap informed us of a mating lion couple that were a few km on the S21, so after a negotiation we ducked down the S112 and then a few km down the S21, but found a massive roadblock of about 20 OSV’s, so my beak shot straight out.

My car was already registering 37 degrees, but after 10 minutes of waiting for a view, we eventually got a gap, however to my disappointment the lions weren’t clearly visible even though they were right next to the road. The grass sucks.

We were instantly getting squeezed for space so we weren’t going to hang around for the mating “deed” and took some quick pics before pulling out of the crowd and heading back to camp for breakfast.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Sorry, I have to move this along as next week I'm on a new project and back to 12 hour days O/

13th Skukuza continued

On the way back to camp the Cow got excited about some Tawny’s parking off in a tree outside camp as one had killed something and then the rats spotted an overgrown gecko on our unit’s wall. I have never seen one of these large geckos in Kruger and it was at least 4 times bigger than a normal gecko which is hard to tell in the pic below, but this thing could take a finger off.

I ran an extension cord outside and fired up our electric frying pan for a large breakfast, which I volunteered to cook, but I bit off more than I should have because after an hour of frying various things I was developing a long lip as it was taking too long, so the Cow finished it off.

The rats then ducked off for a swimming pool adventure, which as teenagers’ seems to mean “Check out the Kruger talent” while the Cow and I relaxed, but I couldn’t help chirping the rats

“Find a rich farmer’s son to sponsor more Kruger trips”, which didn’t go down well.

I checked out the weather on my phone and got a skrik as it looked like a potential flood warning was developing for KNP for the next day so I warned the Cow that we probably only had 2 drives left before rowing our car out the park.

At around 4:30pm it was still boiling, but as the weather was changing we decided to cruise out anyway.

The Cow wanted to do the top end of the S114 to Renosterkoppies but it’s not my cup of tea, however I didn’t have a better idea, so just went along with it, but we didn’t see much, not even the usual clan, therefore I suggested we do the few km down the S21 to check if the crowd at the mating couple had decreased and it had, but one still had to wait in a queue and the lions were snoozing, so we snapped a pic while next to other cars and ducked back towards Skukuza.

Minutes later Bushpig’s window shot down and wouldn’t go up, so I fiddled with the master controls in front and suddenly Hawkeyes window also shot down and neither would go up, therefore I was in melt down mode again and we couldn’t put the air-con on.

It was already fairly late, so I decided to head slowly back to camp in a semi dozed state before my blood pressure became an issue and the rats gave up looking and spent most of the time taking selfies in the back seat.

Just outside Skukuza we slowly past 2 cars which were stopped and they told the Cow that they had briefly seen a leopard. It was nearly dark, so I didn’t even get excited and slowly started to move on, but seconds later the Cow shouted “Leopard!” and I stood on the brakes.

A leopard was slowly moving deeper into the thick bush and it was a major mission in the bad light to get any camera to work. Eventually, as the leopard sat for around a minute, Hawkeyes got a proof pic which I think is full of noise due to an extreme ISO setting. (I’m starting to understand this “camera language”)

Back in camp I started the fire straight away as there were flashes of lightning in the distance and then attacked both windows with long nose pliers and a screwdriver. I worked out that both electric window buttons had collapsed due to the rattling dirt roads, so I stripped the buttons and made a temporary plan by shorting out wires just to get the windows up as I knew hectic rain was coming.

Supernova then phoned for a chat and the Cow and Bushpig took over the braaing.

Half an hour later I almost had to cut Supernova off as it started to pour down and the Cow needed assistance with the chow, which fortunately was 80% cooked and I left the other 20% to marinade in the rain that hadn’t completely put the fire out yet.

The storm built in strength which I was enjoying, but then it got a little hairy for us KZN locals and just after we had dished up the power went out, which got the rats shrieking. The generator didn’t come on, but the power came back on 15 minutes later, however the storm only got stronger and then after some massive bangs the Cow went into hibernation mode with eyes like saucers.

After an hour we realised that the storm wasn’t going anywhere, so the rats made a break for their unit next door, but Bushpig in her hurry crushed Hawkeyes’s hand in their door, so the screeching started and I thought there was a major injury, so went skidding out our unit, but then stood bare foot on the darn hard pellet berries just as a massive bolt of lightning exploded over my head, so I forgot about the rats, nearly soiled my draws and bailed back inside.

The Cow eventually got them on the phone and a detailed exaggerated injury explanation started, but then another massive bang and the power went out again. The Cow, in panic, was back on the phone again because she thought the rats would be creaming themselves, but all seemed fine, much to my surprise.

Another 15 minutes pasted and the power came back on, so I went to sit on the veranda in the dark to witness the storm, but as my bare feet started to feel vulnerable I ducked to bed.

To be continued

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Now you're just taunting us with all these leopard sightings!! :shock: lol

Nice sighting of the korhaan pair. \O

Ja, those storms are not for sissies! lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Hidden leopards, but still leopards \O

Lovely pic of the shrike ^Q^ ^Q^

Why don't you learn to wear flip flops 0*\

Gorgeous view from the rock O/\ O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Alf

Post by Alf »

Stop showing us leopard pictures ^0^ lol lol

I won't get near that traffic jam. Will make a U-turn and drive away.

Afraid of a little storm lol --00--

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Now you're just taunting us with all these leopard sightings!! :shock: lol

Nice sighting of the korhaan pair. \O

Ja, those storms are not for sissies! lol
Ja, I think we may spend too much time looking for leopard and lose out on other things :-? -O- KNP storms :shock: 0:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:Hidden leopards, but still leopards \O

Lovely pic of the shrike ^Q^ ^Q^

Why don't you learn to wear flip flops 0*\

Gorgeous view from the rock O/\ O/\
The grass was so long it was difficult even though they were both fairly close to the road O/

Flip Flop :shock: I won't tell you what that means in Toti slang :shock: =O: but shoes, even open ones, don't feel right to me -O- I only wear shoes to work and can't wait to kick them off when I get home 0: I'm still wearing the same safety boots issued to me by the company 12 years ago =O: =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Alf wrote:Stop showing us leopard pictures ^0^ lol lol

I won't get near that traffic jam. Will make a U-turn and drive away.

Afraid of a little storm lol --00--
I only have 1 leopard pic more 0: I'm also not into traffic jams, but as we had wasted the petrol to get there, we took a few pics before ducking, but I certainly won't hang around in the traffic jam.

That storm was bigger than any KZN storm we have been in :twisted: For locals it was probably normal =O:

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

That are the typical lion shots we got as well this year, Bushcraft, hidden by grass O/

Also nice leopard sightings again but also in a thick vegetaion area - Love your bird shots \O

Looks like it still rained heavily with some power cut offs which we luckily did not have this year but the ones in Skukuza can be annoying :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Pumbaa wrote:That are the typical lion shots we got as well this year, Bushcraft, hidden by grass O/

Also nice leopard sightings again but also in a thick vegetaion area - Love your bird shots \O

Looks like it still rained heavily with some power cut offs which we luckily did not have this year but the ones in Skukuza can be annoying :ty:
We aren't used to vegetation that's so thick as we haven't been in April for a number of years, so it was frustrating :O^ As I'm limited to school holidays at the moment options are less because it's such a mission to get in for the July holidays. The storm was the prelude to bad weather :-(

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”