Flavour of the Month September 2015 :S47 - Mingerhout Loop

All kinds of information on members' favourite routes in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Flavour of the Month September 2015 :S47 - Mingerhout Lo

Post by Richprins »

A cracking visit to the Dam was during the drought of 1992....our first afternoon in the Park! :shock:

A few km before the dam, approaching from Letaba, some lions had been lying next to the river all day, apparently. Things were hectic and all animals irritated and stressed, except for carnivores, obviously.

An ellie breeding herd approached the pool there, and promptly chased the lion away, no questions asked, so to speak, and quite dramatic! :shock:

Not the normal casual chasing/flicking of head...serious intent!

(Fewer ellies in those days)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Re: Flavour of the Month September 2015 :S47 - Mingerhout Lo

Post by Alf »

Must have been a very young RP back in 1992 O** O** =O: =O:

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
RobertT

Re: Flavour of the Month September 2015 :S47 - Mingerhout Loop

Post by RobertT »

Got this pearl spotted owl 2 a couple of days ago, there were 2 of them but were hiding from me every time I moved they did.
_DSC7634.JPG
Then these guys, what I think are Greater Painted Snipe.
_DSC7626.JPG

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Nice birdies! \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Nice \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Fancy snipe there, Robert! :shock:
\O \O \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

They are supposed to be rare but I got another one on new road near Ngotso. \O

nan

Post by nan »

Perlie and Snipe O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

flying cheetah 2012:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 6&start=10

flying cheetah wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Time for the first cat and of course it has to be a cheetah. It was a sighting that totally surprised me while I was driving the Mingerhout loop (S47). The cat was drinking from a river (I think it must have been the Nwanedzi) before it slowly walked to the shade and was lying down. For a long time I was alone with this magnificent boy and I enjoyed every single minute O\/ O\/

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

From a 2013 Pumbaa report:

https://www.africawild-forum.com/viewto ... 1&start=60

Pumbaa wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:27 pm
A short stop on the high water bridge showed clearly all the devastation after the flood earlier this year in that area and after quite a while watching into all direction we turned around and travelled along the S47

to Mingerhout dam and although the dam itself is always a bit disappointing because of dense vegetation and located too far away it is the drive on that road itself with lovely small loops and breathtaking views into the riverbed that is always attracting us back here and right in the first one we were already rewarded, as a pair of fish eagle were resting in the tree close

to where we parked and overlooking the riverbed. The only disadvantage was that we could not capture them both as they were simply too close so after Timon finally found a suitable place to position the car best he once again snapped away and could capture some comical poses – such as playing owl

or with an itch here and there.

Finally it was also time for me to take the jacket off as meanwhile it heated up again so we could travel without same although the wind was still strongly blowing but by far not that worst as the evening before or even in the early morning

but also our larger feathered friends allowed themselves a break from flying and enjoyed time together or simply did a bit day dreaming

and we simply loved their show and also enjoyed the time we all four spent together. After an enjoyable half an hour break with our fish eagles we carried on and discovered a very content and resting in himself dagga boy close to the road in a huge mud puddle.

What a great place to spend the day at least for buffaloes!

He had chosen a riverbed of a small stream finally ending into the Letaba and also we had to cross this riverbed and that was one of two parts were a 4x4 was highly recommendable as the mud was still extreme deep and slippery but it was nevertheless fun to drive through!

Right from the next loop we spotted another raptor drinking from a puddle in the riverbed – another bateleur and behind same a yummy fish already waited to be eaten which must have been obviously just caught but first the quench had to be satisfied.

But we were wrong a juvenile bateleur just landed behind the elderly and started to feed on the fish and this was another premiere was us as we never saw an adult and a juvenile together – funny was that the juvenile looked a bit larger in seize than Daddy!

Finally Dad spread his wings and flew away and let junior do its thing – Nevertheless for us it was a thrilling sighting and we carried on with happy hearts but did not come far

as soon a large group of ground hornbills was busy in crossing the street

to be continued......

Return to “Favourite Routes in Kruger”