Browns in Kruger April 2017

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger April 2017

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:Very, nice BC, a leopard a day keeps the doctor away! lol

You are into your bird pics this time! :-0

We must enjoy the Golf Club, as it looks like it will be privatised at some stage? -O-

Interesting that dead leopard cub disappearing...always a strange business, cat on cat violence... :-?

I changed my spelling before I saw your post! ^0^

"Peeping Tom" is the right spelling, and it is a "Martial" eagle. =O:
No jokes, finding a leopard dramatically increases the blood pressure, but then it settles lower for longer periods =O:

There wasn't much else to photograph at times RP so birds got attention 0:

I'm going to make the most of the Golf Club while I can :shock:

Let's leave the spelling as you will win 0: The Cow's job is to check before I post, so a written warning for her @#$

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

7th Lower Sabie continued

We sat with the snoozing leopard for around 20 minutes, which is a long time for me to sit still and I was getting irritated with the building crowd and the rats who were scrapping about something in the back seat, so we took one last pic, turned and headed back down the S1 towards Skukuza.

Just before the S1/H11 intersection we spotted a couple of cars and then a moving leopard which immediately got me overexcited.

“There, no it’s moving again, there!”

“Take pics!”

This started the Cow “Stop moving so I can take a picture!”

It never escalated into our normal blowout as the leopard stopped for a minute, but then he went into hunting mode which got me going again. The Cow was huffing and puffing at me each time I moved, but I had to keep up with the leopard and take snaps when we got a gap in the bush.

Suddenly the leopard disappeared into a bush next to the road which caused some frantic searching

“Who still has it?! It was 10m away!”

No answer.

My frustration was boiling over but the Cow’s huffing and puffing was escalating so I decided an outburst would result in a massive drama, therefore I quietly bit my tongue.

The leopard had lost a few of the initial cars who were still looking around 40m away and just ahead of us were some kudu next to the road and then I spotted the junior kudu.

“He’s after that lightie one” and I repositioned halfway between where we had last seen the leopard and the kudu.

Minutes later the darn kudu jumped and started snorting, so we knew they had either smelt the leopard or had spotted it. Seconds later the kudu took off into the bush.

“Game over!”

The leopard is like a ghost in the long grass and he suddenly popped up where the kudu had been. The Cow’s huffing had been because I kept on moving, so I decided it would be more peaceful to wait while the Cow snapped a few pics before moving forward.

The Cow’s puffing slowed, so I decided it was safe to move forward, but as I moved the leopard did a disappearing act into the long grass again.

We hung around for 10 minutes in case he popped up again, but it was getting late and we still had to head down to Lower Sabie, so we ducked.

All the normal locals were hanging around on the H4-1, but although we stopped a few times, we never took pics.

We arrived back at Lower Sabie around 3:30pm and I was faulty again, so we decided to rather relax around camp.

The rats went for a swim while I started an early braai and checked out some availability options.

“Cow, there’s a spot open at Biyamiti and Mel will be there, so should we change?”

After some discussion the Cow went off to Lower Sabie reception to make the change.

To be continued

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Another leopard!! 0*\ Awesome sighting and pics! ^Q^
Bushcraft wrote:
Flutterby wrote:The S28 definitely seemed to be one of the best roads for game this April. \O
So you must have got action on it also O/\ O/\
Not really, but while we were in Satara all the action was on the S28! :O^

Alf

Post by Alf »

You really have leopard magnets on your bakkie BC

We also love having lunch at the golf club

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
PJL

Post by PJL »

Cracking start Bushcraft ^Q^ ^Q^

You sure hit a bit of luck on those first few days with leopard O:V
Very difficult to spot them and photograph them in the long grass :yes:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

therefore I quietly bit my tongue.

=O: =O: =O: =O: Liar!

Hey, maybe better for your organs if you relax a bit? that is what Kruger is about, you know! :twisted:

What a huge boy, that last one! :shock: :shock: :shock:

There has been a big one hanging around there for years now, Heksie's buddy? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Another leopard!! 0*\ Awesome sighting and pics! ^Q^
Bushcraft wrote:
Flutterby wrote:The S28 definitely seemed to be one of the best roads for game this April. \O
So you must have got action on it also O/\ O/\
Not really, but while we were in Satara all the action was on the S28! :O^
Thanks Flutts \O We were lucky with the leopard for the first few days ;-)

It works that way, it was the same while we were at Satara, but what made it worse was the fact PJL was down south in the action as well as other mates, so it was "stressful" =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Alf wrote:You really have leopard magnets on your bakkie BC

We also love having lunch at the golf club
We hunt more than we should for leopard Alf and plenty of it comes down to researching their areas ;-) but we do miss out on other things while wasting more time than we possibly should on leopard -O-

I'm a local at the Golf Club now =O: =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

PJL wrote:Cracking start Bushcraft ^Q^ ^Q^

You sure hit a bit of luck on those first few days with leopard O:V
Very difficult to spot them and photograph them in the long grass :yes:
Sharp PJL, Ja lucky with the leopard in the beginning, but then you went to the S1 while we were at Satara so I had that fear of missing out big time =O: =O:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:therefore I quietly bit my tongue.

=O: =O: =O: =O: Liar!

Hey, maybe better for your organs if you relax a bit? that is what Kruger is about, you know! :twisted:

What a huge boy, that last one! :shock: :shock: :shock:

There has been a big one hanging around there for years now, Heksie's buddy? -O-
I did hold my chirping :twisted:

Ja, relaxing does help the "organs", but not if I haven't found a leopard :O^

Yes, it was a big leopard, but I think Heksie's buddy is Vin Diesel and this wasn't him :-? Vin hangs out mainly on the H11 but sometimes the first few km of the S1 ;-)

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”