The Great Escape

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Re: The Great Escape

Post by RogerFraser »

^Q^ Lovely Cheetah shots .Always happens when you are pressed for time ;-)

I know SANPARKS use Fire as a tool but IMHO seems to have been allot of burns over the last few years between Satara and Tshokwane -O-

Great that you got settled in again quickly \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I hope that they know what they are doing with all that burning O**

Great set-up! Is the tyre for decoration purposes? lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Those vultures are always there, Peej! Not sure why? -O-

Ja, lots of burns every year compared to the past, IMO... O-/

How many lion sightings by now? ..0..

And grand campsite again! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PJL

Post by PJL »

harrys wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:48 am Flat Lions lol we also saw lots of burnt areas up north -O-

I like your camp set up \O
Thanks Harry \O
Interesting that the north has seen so much burning. There were vast areas in the south as well, but generally the less travelled routes O**
RogerFraser wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:30 pm ^Q^ Lovely Cheetah shots .Always happens when you are pressed for time ;-)

I know SANPARKS use Fire as a tool but IMHO seems to have been allot of burns over the last few years between Satara and Tshokwane -O-

Great that you got settled in again quickly \O
Yeah we couldn't stay forever with the cheetahs unfortunately. I think they might well have hunted that afternoon as they seemed quite alert :yes:
Lisbeth wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:53 am I hope that they know what they are doing with all that burning O**

Great set-up! Is the tyre for decoration purposes? lol
I hope they know as well Lis 0*\ lol
The tyre is important!...

The trailer has the tent on top, which folds out all around the trailer. Then you have the kitchen built into the one side and sleeping the other side plus on top \O
Richprins wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:55 pm Those vultures are always there, Peej! Not sure why? -O-

Ja, lots of burns every year compared to the past, IMO... O-/

How many lion sightings by now? ..0..

And grand campsite again! X#X
No idea of how many lion by now... we had lost count lol lol

PJL

Post by PJL »

Friday July 16th

Some of the guys we had met at Lower Sabie were staying in the safari tents at Skukuza, so we had a good catch up with them about sightings. There had been a number of leopard sightings down in the direction of Malelane the previous day, with one at the Biyamiti bridge as well as the famous De Laporte leopard - both with kills in trees.

With that news we decided that our morning route would be down towards Afsaal and then back over to Biyamiti Weir and potentially see whether the young leopard on the S26 was around. At De Laporte there was a small line-up of cars by the time we got there, but it was only just getting light which made it very difficult to see into the trees in the riverbed behind the waterhole. Scanning with binoculars we couldn’t see anything and although she might have been hiding in an obscure spot we could be waiting hours and not see anything so we continued south. Just back onto the road a number of hyena came bounding across ^Q^

Down near Kwaggaspan there was a big grumpy chap who seemed intent on hiding

At the Biyamiti bridge there was an OSV parked up, and sure enough the leopard that had been seen the previous day was still around. He was flat out sleeping in some long grass, and the bushes by the side of the road made him very hard to see!

Whilst sitting waiting for the OSV to move, we regularly heard lions roaring and they were moving in the direction of the riverbed. Eventually two big males popped out but they were a very long way down the river. You can make out one of them if you look carefully here ;-)

With the leopard not moving, the OSV moved off and we had prime view for a while as other cars started to arrive. The sleepy cat gave us some nice yawns lol

He didn’t seem to be going anywhere fast, although we could see his kill was still up a nearby tree, so we travelled down to Afsaal for a break and then back up to the S13/S23 to take us down to Biyamiti Weir. On the way to Afsaal we saw a klipspringer on some rocks, and on the way back up we found that the leopard had moved up to his kill, but he was incredibly difficult to see

Along the S23 it was fairly quiet, but we did see a few elephant

Arriving at Biyamiti Weir there was obviously something going on with a number of vehicles parked up on the opposite bank O** O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Does that mean that I am stupid and it's the tyre of the trailer? 0*\

That's one sleepy leopard, n.17 more or less lol

I'll bet that something is going to turn up at the weir O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

Lisbeth wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:57 am
Does that mean that I am stupid and it's the tyre of the trailer? 0*\

That's one sleepy leopard, n.17 more or less lol

I'll bet that something is going to turn up at the weir O**
Yes - it's the trailer tyre \O
Leopard number 14 this one O/\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Seems like your return already paid off, Peej! X#X

Sleepy lazy horse! lol

That De Laporte leopard is still carrying on there! :shock:

I like the klipspringer shot, and the lion in the river...nice patience! :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

That Ellie looks like he could have been a big tusker at some stage if he had not broken them off O:V

^Q^ You've found so many Leopards you even found a flat one that was imitating a Lion lol and then some Lions as well \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Richprins wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:01 pm Seems like your return already paid off, Peej! X#X

Sleepy lazy horse! lol

That De Laporte leopard is still carrying on there! :shock:

I like the klipspringer shot, and the lion in the river...nice patience! :yes:
Yep that de laporte leopard is being seen regularly lately \O
RogerFraser wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:00 pm That Ellie looks like he could have been a big tusker at some stage if he had not broken them off O:V

^Q^ You've found so many Leopards you even found a flat one that was imitating a Lion lol and then some Lions as well \O
Haha yes - big cats doing what big cats do best X#X

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”