Browns in Kruger October 2016

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger October 2016

Post by Bushcraft »

8th Lower Sabie to Imfolozi

We had a long drive through Swaziland to Mpila camp in Imfolozi today, so the car packing mission started early in silence as nobody likes to leave Kruger.

I was battling with the finality of it, so suggested that we first drive up to the causeway for half an hour before heading down to Croc Bridge and all agreed. I knew it meant extra time in the car and less time at Imfolozi, however Imfolozi is more of a peaceful stopover for us to make the Kruger trip less final.

Just as I was pulling out of camp that weird howling/laughing bird noise started up again and the Cow found the guilty trumpeter, but every sighting in Kruger now made our trip longer, so the Cow got pressured to take a quick pic.

We were in the first batch of cars to leave camp and most stopped at Sunset Dam first, however we just carried on, so when this lioness jumped up onto the rocks at Lubyelubye there were only 2 of us around and the other car missed it and continued on. We just quickly snapped a few pics and also continued to the little dirt loop and found the male who was calling for his aunty.

The causeway produced a lioness on morning patrol, but she was walking away from us, so we turned and headed back towards Lower Sabie.

I had secretly plotted this little section as I was hoping for 1 more leopard sighting and a few km after the causeway what I was hoping for appeared in a tree next to the road.

He was very awake and getting rather excited at birds that kept landing in the tree above him which had us all laughing.

I was very conscious of the time, but this was a leopard so I was reluctant to leave, however other cars started to arrive including one crowd who didn’t know what was potting, so I was starting to lose it, hence we took 2 or 3 more pics and headed for Croc Bridge.

The H4-2 didn’t produce much except the normal gang; however we did stop for a few pics.

We only arrived at Croc Bridge gate at around 8am, which was an hour later than normal and we still had to stop in Komatipoort for petrol, so I felt under pressure and the Kruger gate guards must have read my mind as they weren’t keen on checking us out and we were told to continue on and out the park without any inspection which sat well with me on the day, however it probably doesn’t sit well if one considers the poaching activity, but I’m sure they have enough common sense to realize that poachers generally won’t have kids in the car. O**

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

8th Lower Sabie to Imfolozi

I’m going to continue with this here as I’m not going to start an Imfolozi section for just one post as we literally drove in, slept and drove out.

We entered at Memorial gate at around 1:30pm after first getting harassed by some faulty independent security guard who acted as if he owned the place, which immediately put a damper on the place.

Imfolozi had been flooded out the previous weekend if one can believe that. Some bridges were under water and plenty roads were flooded, hence I wasn’t sure what we were in for, but luckily all the roads had been cleared, however Imfolozi sightings after a Kruger trip feel flat, so we headed straight for camp only stopping a few times for pics.

We were informed on book in that they had arranged for guests to watch the Springbok game at 5pm in a building within camp, so I was stoked, but it meant no others drives, which didn’t bother us as it had been a long day in the car already.

I was now really ready to relax, so snuck off to the shop to buy some dop and ice but got caught trying to load it in the car which resulted in some dirty looks from the Cow, but no drama started, so I finished one on the 1 minute drive to the unit.

The local warties were cruising around our unit when we arrived, so Bushpig posed for a selfie while we were unpacking.

The plan was to just relax in camp, braai early, watch the rugby and then make another fire just to reheat the food after the game.

The rats are now old enough to braai, so I first had to rebuild our faulty braai and then I handed over to them, which didn’t start off well as Albert suddenly developed a stomach ache to duck the work, Hawkeyes wouldn’t touch the raw meat, which left Bushpig with the tongs and that’s still dangerous and then it turned into Hawkeyes supervising Bushpig from a distance.

A few minutes later a dung beetle gang pulled in with their putty ball next to the braai, which caused shrieking and it gave the rats the next excuse, so I eventually had to step in and finish the cooking while the Cow plotted a local resident outside our unit.

We then all cruised off to watch the rugby, which was a waste of time as the Springboks got given a hiding by the All Blacks, so I ended up drowning my sorrows, hence I had to concentrate to find our unit in the dark with a torch on the way back.

The rats had picked up on my mood, so they were also out of control much to the Cow’s horror, but things calmed down when the local scallywags pulled in and tried to steal our food reheating on the fire.

We slept in the next morning and ducked straight out without stopping for pics of anything as we had plenty things to sort out at home.

In conclusion, it was a good holiday with more “ups” than “downs”. Our personal aim was to average 1.8 leopards per day over the eight and a half days we were in the park and with 22 leopard sightings and 15 or 16 different leopards (hard to tell on 2 of them), we were slightly above the personal goal, so we were stoked.

Lastly, thanks to all of you guys that have shared our adventure with us and for allowing us the opportunity to relive our trip.

Bushcraft, the Cow and the Rats. X#X

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great last leopard sighting and nice lions too early in the morning. \O

Looks like the rats had fun at iMfolozi. :yes:

Thanks for sharing another fantastic trip with us...always a pleasure travelling with the Browns. :ty:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The trumpeter hornbill is a great bird ^Q^ ^Q^

Elephants are always welcome O/\

Lovely pics of the rats O\/ O\/

Did you notice the animal in the tree with the long canines and the beautifully spotted fur?

Thank you to Bushcraft X#X , The Cow O0 , hawkeyes 0/0 , Bushpig 0/0 and Albert 0/0 for yet another extraordinary trip to the Kruger NP ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thank you all that much O0 O0 O0

Really had a great time in following you during that trip which turned out to be a leopard one - I know you always have luck with your cat sightings but this time you had a leopard trip - Definitely - as the ellies in one of your last posts occur a much rarer sighting than leopards O** O** O**

Then trumpeter hornbill even twice and a cheetah that close to the road plus wild dogs and lions - Definitely you cannot complain at all with your sightings - Did you ever see impala? ^0^

Anyway thanks so much for another entertaining trip report, Bushcraft O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

This is sad evening for Joan and I as we say farewell to the Clan.

You have given us many hours of exciting and interesting reading with amazing photos as company.

Thank you so much for sharing your holiday with us.

Until next time. 0/* 0/*

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Oh... a leopard on your way out ... what a surprise! :shock: ^0^ lol But even with the 22 sightings, I can totally understand that the guy was a wonderful farewell gift!
(Could you point me to the postings where I would find those two leopards in question where you're not sure if it's one or two different ones? I like a good challenge trying to ID stuff 0*\ lol )

It's great to see the girls so carefree and having fun. They sure deserve every moment of that ^Q^

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your trip with us! It was enjoyable and entertaining as usual - even without any bathroom incidents, or rather even more so =O:

:ty: X#X :ty:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
PJL

Post by PJL »

Just caught up in time for the finish! Nice trumpeter hornbill again, and that last leopard was a beaut... I think I would have stayed another hour or two with him despite the impending journey. Nice of you to include some 'alive' impala at the end ;-)

leachy

Post by leachy »

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

mr craft !!!!

there are obviously no leopards in imfolozi.........

-O- -O- -O- -O- -O-

now that your trip report is over i am going have to tune into national geographic

to to get a daily "panthera" fix......

astounding sightings and entertaining narration as always.

thanks for that.

X#X X#X X#X X#X X#X X#X X#X

the future is not what it used to be
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Great last leopard sighting and nice lions too early in the morning. \O

Looks like the rats had fun at iMfolozi. :yes:

Thanks for sharing another fantastic trip with us...always a pleasure travelling with the Browns. :ty:
Thanks Flutts for your continued forum support \O The rats and I ran riot at Imfolozi =O: I drank too much watching rugby 0:

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”