Browns in Kruger October 2018

Bushcraft

Re: Browns in Kruger October 2018

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:19 am What? No leopards...you are definitely slipping!! ^0^
1 for the day and it's still early in the day, but it's the same 1 0:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 am Hawkeyes in the middle and Bushpig to the right and jr. rat to the left \O

Those cheetahs are a lovely sight, so relaxed ^Q^ ^Q^

The hippoes still on land and a lot :shock:

@RP, not only in Kruger the animals are accustomed to cars, in KTP you can almost drive over the lions before they move lol
You got the rat ID's correct ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ The Jr rat, Albert, is 12, check out the height :shock:

I find hippo boring, but plenty were out the water, hence the pic inclusion ;-)

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Pumbaa wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 pm Love that gorgeous baby ellie, Bushcraft,

and the hippo in the nest and for sure the cheetahs out of which my favourite is the one where the cheetah is kissing the tree - Amazing O\/ ^Q^
That baby ellie was so cool and very relaxed considering mom was deep in the bush \O

It was a good cheetah sighting and pure luck X#X

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

5th Skukuza continued

We arrived back in camp at around 12pm and everybody did their own thing for a few hours.

Albert and I spotted a bush buck cruising around and she wanted to follow so I got dragged along, but the buck gave us the slip and then burst from the bush giving Albert an initial skrik, much to my amusement; however she still got the pic.
39.jpg
39.jpg (173.47 KiB) Viewed 596 times

At around 3pm the rats started nagging to visit Mathekenyane as they wanted to take selfies which has become a tradition on our trips, so we loaded up and ducked from camp.

We stopped once on the way to the rock for some ellies at De Laporte, but the turning circle was full of cars and our view had building rubble in it so we moved on. The wind was howling on Mathekenyane but it was still nice to spend 15 minutes checking all-round the rock.

40.jpg
40.jpg (141.82 KiB) Viewed 596 times
41.jpg
41.jpg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 596 times

While on Mathekenyane we heard about dogs on the S23 just past the S113 from other visitors, but they could have moved. I wasn’t keen as I didn’t rate the chances, but we hadn’t seen dogs on the trip yet and Albert loves them so she was starting to develop a pelican, hence to keep the peace I agreed to take a look.

Dunlop the leopard was still parking off near his wartie so we stopped for a few pics, however soon decided to carry on and to rather stop again on the way back.

42.jpg
42.jpg (156.06 KiB) Viewed 596 times

The short piece of the S113 didn’t produce much and our slow searching started on the S23.

Around 1km down the road we found an OSV stopped so pulled up next to him and he informed us that the dogs stopped but were now on the move again, however now he couldn’t see them, so Alberts lip dropped again.

We drove slowly along just in front of the OSV and luck again was on our side as the dogs moved into an opening and we picked them up, but it was a mission trying to keep tabs on them in the bush and take pics.

We followed slowly along with a stop/start story until the dogs eventually went too deep in.

43.jpg
43.jpg (162.46 KiB) Viewed 596 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

44.jpg
44.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 596 times
45.jpg
45.jpg (121.04 KiB) Viewed 596 times
46.jpg
46.jpg (148.6 KiB) Viewed 596 times

The clock was ticking so we couldn’t hang around waiting to see if the dogs would reappear, so we turned and headed back for the leopard.

As we approached the leopard tree we were amazed to see that there was only 1 car parked off. The time must have made others nervous.

I wanted a different view of the wartie kill to see if there was any left so we moved past the leopard and pulled in opposite the kill which was now on the lower part of the tree and as luck would have it, minutes later the leopard got up from his spot and decided to have another snack. It was nearly straight into the setting sun so pics were difficult and we had to squint at him but he still locked eyes with us a few times which was cool.

47.jpg
47.jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 596 times
48.jpg
48.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 596 times

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

We couldn’t stay long due to the time, so moved on back towards camp with minutes to spare, however a stroppy ellie nearly ruined our peace.
49.jpg
49.jpg (141.87 KiB) Viewed 596 times

It was our last night in Skukuza and the plan was to visit Cattle Baron which got the rats mildly excited and it was great to have a break from braaiing. The food was good and nobody moaned about the lack of shoes, in fact I spotted 2 other barefoot individuals which means we are growing in numbers. O/\ O/\ O/\

To be continued

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Wild dogs and eye locking with a leopard ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

And now even wild dogs too \O

and again leopards O** O** O**

Cattle Baron is indeed always great - As you said it is great for a break from baaiing ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Alf

Post by Alf »

Even the warthog smiled for the picture =O: =O:

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Now I see why you are so scruffy, BC...the women take such a lot of clothes along you don't have space! ..0..

Willl send Cattle Baron an email of complaint. :yes:

That leopard didn't look at the cars ONCE while we were there...very frustrating! lol

Good warthog shot there, I must say! X#X X#X X#X

Glad you got the doggies and selfies sorted! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”