My July Kruger trip at last...

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: My July Kruger trip at last...

Post by Richprins »

Hellooooo Heks! 0/0

Nice pics and a great VERY early morning lion encounter! ^Q^ :-0

I love the green croc! :shock: lol And the green leguaan? :-?

How early do you leave camp...those doggies are also early! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Women and bladders! lol

:ty: 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Very nice sightings Heksie...especially the barbet! \O \O

Heksie

Post by Heksie »

RP I leave camp when the gate opens IO O** THis was July so it is 6:00...
Thanks for the replies guys 0/0 O0

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 5
As the Park was busy, we decided to try to stay on dirt roads as much as possible. Trying to pack the car with all the necessary snacks for the day, in the dark as I didn’t want to bother our neighbours so early in the morning, I had a wee-bit of an accident… One moment I was looking at my mum through my cardoor and then she didn’t see me anymore. I had slipped and bought myself a piece of land in Lower Sabie. At least I was very ladylike as mum didn’t even notice me plundering over the dirt. I recovered very quickly and with my tail between my legs I got in the car. We started with the Salitjie road and then take the H1-2 to Skuks, from there we would take the S112 then the H5 to Mpondo dam, and then the S26 to Croc Bridge and then make our way back up to Lower Sabie.
The road were quiet, car and animal wise with a glimpse of a jackal and then some general game…
Bobbies,

A red crested korhaan,

As we wanted to turn unto the H3, we saw a few cars at Klipspringer koppies and just drove on to check out what was going on. There were actually a loooong row forming from the cars facing us, and we were 3 cars coming from SKuks side. A car took off, and we passed the two cars to take its place. Still not seeing what the fuss were about, then as I looked to my side, I saw one lioness chilling on a rock almost right next to us. We just took a few pics and then turned around to stick to our planned route.

The road was bumpy and uninteresting till we reached Mpondo dam. There were some zebs and impala drinking water and we stayed till they left the dam.

And some waterbuck,

Just as we left the dam, there were a few turns towards the S26, and mum said stop. I had to reverse, and then I saw what she spotted. It was a lifer for us and we were super excited about this sighting. A double barred owlet…

Closer to Croc Bridge we got to see some ellies, first we got a family crossing the road…

And then we got a loner drinking water at Vurhami Bridge.

When we got the North entrance to the S28, it was time to look closely into the acacias next to the road. About 500m towards Lower Sabie we spotted the boomslang from the night before, it was great to move forward and backward trying to get the best pics. And all the cars were just passing us not worrying about what we were checking out.

We left the snake in peace and went to camp to relax. Mum had a snooze whilst I had a few refreshing KPA’s and enjoyed the company of the acacia and collared barbets, black-capped bulbuls, grey louries and starlings. Just before 15:30 it was time to wake mum up for our afternoon drive, we always have to drive the s29 at least once with every trip to Lower Sabie. So it was our go-to road as this was our last night at Lower Sabie.
We saw a lot of steenbokkies, and some general game,

We were on the H10 about 4km from the low water bridge when mum just shouted ‘STOP’ and what do we see lying under a bushes about 100m from the road…

We were the first car there and sat with this cat for about 20 minutes and four more cars arrived when he thought it best to stand up and walk towards the road…

All our cars scared him off and he soon retreated towards the bush away from us. But we were very happy with our sighting. It was now just past 17:00 and with smiles on our faces we moved towards camp. Our last sighting for the day was this green backed heron in the Sabie River,

We got to camp and started packing the car as we were moving to Tsendze the next day and it was a long drive. So after we packed most of our things, I started a fire, popped a KPA and we enjoyed our last night in Lower Sabie.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Excellent sightings and kiekies, Heks! O/\

What a magnificent leopard, I also think it's a male! \O

Nice scenery shot with the lion. :yes:
Mpondo looks quite dry?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

I'm so glad that we agree about the sex of the leppie. Great minds think alike X#X
This trip was 18 months ago I really can't remember how much water was in Mpondo :-?

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Day 6
We packed most of our things the night before and so it was another easy morning for me, but not for mum, she really doesn’t enjoy being woken up so early in the morning. But it is what one must sacrifice for the Kruger. I showered and packed everything in the car then woke her up to get ready for the drive to Tsendze. I wasn’t taking any prisoners this morning; I really don’t like dawdling when I move camp so it was a speedy 40km/h drive to our destination. Only stopping for certain animals for mum and bathroom breaks.
Our first surprise was when we rounded a corner and got a huge fright when something sped across the road. Mum spotted him in the grass, don’t know how that happened as she is partially blind (what we found out from the doctor after our Kruger trip) It was a quick very bad sighting but a super way to start our morning.

Then just past Nkumbe lookout point we got two rockjumpers in the road, they were skittish and walked as careful as a chameleon. We sat a while with them enjoying their presence…

Then our next stop was Tshokwane for a needed bathroom break. It is always great to move North as you see less cars in the road especially early in the morning. We enjoyed not seeing a lot of cars on the road and not even being 5km from the road, mum shouted ‘STOP!’ about 150m from the road in the grass was a leopard chilling. We were stunned that we got to see another one, and we mum spotted him, yet again. We sat with him for 5 minutes before the first car arrived. It was after another 10 minutes that he decided that he doesn’t want to sit anymore, he stretched a bit and then disappeared into the riverbed…

We were elated as it was such a great day to drive, and the sightings have been awesome. And then another surprise popped up after a kilometre. I spot a leopard in a tree about 100m form the road. WHAT?!? Third leopard in less than 50km? It must be our lucky day… She also was in the open and we were able to spend about an hour with her and decided to move on as she was far, and not going anywhere soon…

Our only other sighting to Satara was Bushcraft and his litter. Was great seeing him and he was on his way to Skukuza to kuier with some mites… Sorry we missed that meet. We did share the location of the leopard in the tree and now I’m a bit green about not staying with the leopard as BC had her clup close and personal about an hour after we met up.
Stopping at Satara to fill up the car we took the time to take a few pics of the beautiful impala lillies that were brightening up the dull winter.

The road was rather quiet with just general game until we arrived at Ngotso dam, it was full of ellies, rhino, buffalo and general game drinking and enjoying the water. If we weren’t still a long way from Tsendze, and I didn’t have to pitch up camp, then we would’ve parked here for a few hours. But after 20 minutes it was time to move on.
We had a quick stop at Letaba and then it was our last stretch to Mopani camp to book in. Getting closer to Mopani you see more and more ellies… They just popped up from every corner and crack.

And just before we got to Mopani we got some buffies trying to get as much shade as possible, which wasn’t very likely with the small Mopani trees…

We quickly booked in, the receptionists are very friendly and efficient and we got the campsite we booked beforehand. When we got to camp we didn’t even get time to unpack when Rodger ran to us to show us the owls in camp. I told mum that she can go have a look whilst I pitch up the tent and gazebo. In no time our camp were ready for the following three nights and then we were off again on our afternoon drive. We didn’t have a lot of time so we just drove to Shipandani hide. The sun was setting and the hide just shone beautifully.

And a treat for me on this drive was a black crake on the low water bridge.

We got to camp with only minutes to spare, and then it was time to light the fire and have a peaceful supper in the best camp in Kruger.

To be continued…

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

What a great day sightings wise ^Q^ ^Q^ \O

I love the owlet O\/ O\/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Fantastic sightings and great kiekies. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very lucky, Heks! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I agree with not getting up early, but also with not messing around when moving camps! lol

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”