Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Browns in Kruger October 2016

Post by Lisbeth »

0/*

Good to hear that there were no health issues on the trip ^Q^
“You can’t enter Swaziland with no shoes, it’s against the law”
The most stupid phrase, that I have heard at a border post 0*\

What a wonderful leopard with cub sighting, I am dark green with envy :-0 O\/ O\/

The klipspringers are in an amazing place. One wonders how they got up there :-? O:V

I also want to see a porcupine.....even from behind 0= lol

The Biyamiti loop and weir almost always produce something \O

Even doggies :O^ Your luck has no limits 0:

As usual a great pic of your girls \O

Are you in a hurry? =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Alf wrote:Wow only 2 cars at the wild dog sighting :shock: very weird O**

Love the croc picture \O

That lion looks very interested in the Browns O**
Ja, I was also very surprised about the dogs and the other car's occupants were big time photographers as a massive lens was hanging out the window, so they kept their distance from the dogs also which allowed the dogs to relax.

Hawkeyes took the Croc eye pic \O

Those lion were very interested us, probably because the rats were fighting for the back window =O: or because they hadn't seen other cars as the Biyamiti loop can be very quiet traffic wise.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Flutterby wrote:Great sightings for an afternoon drive! \O

We've found that wild dogs don't attract nearly as much traffic as lions or leopards...not sure why. -O-
It was a better than normal afternoon drive in that area for us as sightings can be few and far between down that side.

I agree, people seem less interested in dogs than lions and leopards :-?

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

PJL wrote:Amazing sightings already BC :yes:
And you say that sightings only picked up later in the trip :-? 0:

That leopard cub was very cute and the porcupine is great! Lions and now dogs... what a start \O

0() 0()
Shot PJL \O Ja, the leopard sightings improve during the later part of the trip, but we did get at least 1 everyday anyway, it's just more popped up later and it felt like less work to find them 0:

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:0/*

Good to hear that there were no health issues on the trip ^Q^
“You can’t enter Swaziland with no shoes, it’s against the law”
The most stupid phrase, that I have heard at a border post 0*\

What a wonderful leopard with cub sighting, I am dark green with envy :-0 O\/ O\/

The klipspringers are in an amazing place. One wonders how they got up there :-? O:V

I also want to see a porcupine.....even from behind 0= lol

The Biyamiti loop and weir almost always produce something \O

Even doggies :O^ Your luck has no limits 0:

As usual a great pic of your girls \O

Are you in a hurry? =O:
Howzit Lisbeth 0/* I'm glad you popped in to keep me in line :-0

I have since found out that wearing no shoes while driving is illegal in Swaziland and South Africa. :shock: I have no idea why and I'm sure those who wrote the law, don't either =O:

I'm not in a hurry, just plan to fit things in when there's time and at the moment there's time, however next week there isn't any time as I'm handing another project over, hence it's now or long periods with no updates. 0:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I found this on the Arrive Alive page. For your peace of mind. ;-)
South African law also does not say anything about the footwear drivers should be wearing. It is not illegal to drive barefoot, with flip flops or high heels. It is up to us to create awareness of why inappropriate footwear can be extremely dangerous!

Driving Barefoot

If there is a choice between driving in high heels, flip flops or bare feet, by far the safest option is bare feet. Some drivers find it easier to drive bare foot as it allows them to gain a better 'feel' for the car, in particular the clutch bite point. As a result, driving bare foot helps some from stalling the vehicle.

There are however risks associated with driving barefoot:

The clutch may require heavy pressure to be applied.
It is a relatively small pedal exerting a lot of pressure on the ball of the foot, whereas, the sole of a shoe distributes that pressure more evenly.
Repeated use of the clutch could end up being painful, causing cramp or other spasms in the foot and reducing the ability of the driver towards effective control of the vehicle.
Operating the pedals with bare wet feet may become slippery as the feet become damp with perspiration.
Nylon socks or tights can reduce traction between your foot and the pedals and don't allow the foot to grip pedals.
Your foot could slip off the pedal easily because you don’t have the same grip as shoes give you.
In the unfortunate event of an accident, appropriate driving shoes are likely to offer a reduction in foot injury.
In cases of traffic crashes with nothing to protect the feet, you may tread on broken glass and debris and sustain major injuries.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Thanks Flutts, can I forward on

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

30th Skukuza Continued

The adult dogs were sleeping in the bush on the opposite side of the road and were ignoring us, but the teenagers were very interested in checking us out, however they soon became bored and went to sleep also.

We spent around half an hour with the dogs and never spotted another car besides the 1 that was already there, so it was a great quiet sighting, therefore I plotted to wait for their “greeting ritual”, but time was starting to become a problem, hence we reluctantly turned and headed towards Skukuza after 1 last pic.

As time was an issue our planned route changed slightly and we ducked off the dirt onto the S23/S113 to the tar and found the lions were still popping theirs heads up, some ellies were hanging around in the Kwaggaspan area, the Cow got excited about a Korhaan and the De Laporte female leopard was back on “her” rock again.

Just before Skukuza the Cow spotted 2 birds which got her excited again, but unfortunately the 1 ducked for cover as I stopped, however the other started making a massive noise. I think it’s a Chanting Goshawk, but if it isn’t, it should be called a shrieking Goshawk as it was so hyped up we were battling to get a pic with its beak closed.

We quickly unpacked the car and started to get organised as Penny and Bobby arrived.

They had purchased gifts for us, including curried beans and a pudding, so I was feeling guilty as we hadn’t thought of any gifts, but the Cow found a wine glass for Penny and Bobby immediately cracked a beer, so soon I was thinking more about the whisky I had stashed.

I haven’t drunk any alcohol since my last “RP meet” Kruger trip in July, so the Cow was giving me the hairy eyeball, but my green Kruger coffee cup acted as a quantity camouflaging device.

Penny and Bobby are very cool and so knowledgeable about wildlife and Kruger, so it was a great meet.

At around 10:45pm Penny and Bobby called it, but as we were in the south again later in the trip I knew that we would see each other again and I hope a local KZN braai is on the cards in the future.

My starter motor was going though, so I snuck 1 last whiskey before also heading for bed and for the first time since my teenage years encountered that alcohol induced “helicopter” again as I lay down, but a sleeping tablet sorted that out.

To be continued

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Incredible... we already got that leopard plus cub... now a porcupine, albeit only the behind of it, but I'd be happy to see that at least of one.
Then there are the lions, of course, and wild dog have been thrown in the early mix already too. Phew, this is going to be one hell of trip lol
Especially if you keep mixing some birds in like you've done so far O:V

(Maybe you could hide the Cow's dress in our trunk? ..0.. )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Bushcraft wrote:Thanks Flutts, can I forward on
Sure. \O

S114 is a good road for dogs. :yes:

Can't believe you saw the De la Porte leopard again!! :shock: ^Q^

Sounds like a fun evening, except for the "helicopter" at the end of it! lol

Return to “Travel Tales of Kruger National Park”