The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Dzombo

Re: The real reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by Dzombo »

Flutterby wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 am Yep, a very sad state of affairs! :-(
Yes, I agree :twisted:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

As a foreigner I also have to say that I don't feel particularly safe. OR Tambo, for example, is not giving me frights exactly,
but I feel uneasy and am always happy to board the plane in either direction - home or Upington.

And I find the Kgalagadi a safer destination than Kruger. For now...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
somabhula

Post by somabhula »

One reason is the cost, flights to anywhere are expensive. South Africa is not seen as a mid range budget accommodation destination any longer, its pushing towards expensive but it does not have the exclusivity that others destinations i.e. Botswana, Kenya offer. OH was looking at a 5day/4night Photographic safari there is a lodge in the Mara where the owner is an award winning photographer, compared to similar in the Sabi Sands/Mala Mala. Kenya was cheaper and a smaller number of participants (this during migration season). Must admit have not really felt unsafe in SA, but we do not look like tourists. OH still has the accent, and most people assume that I am a Shaky Islander as they cannot identify my accent at all. Of course we don't do the more obvious tourist traps either.

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

With the collapse of the Rand for most Europeans, apart from GB as the pound has collapsed too, SA has become a cheap destination, but the high rate of criminality IS scary to most, especially women travelling alone. I do not think looking like a tourist makes much difference. The SA criminals do not seem to prefer one from the other. For sure they do not have a conversation with you before hitting ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Hijackings: Police warn of three new tactics used to target motorists

We've got a new set of warnings from the SA Police Service this month. Hijackings remain prevalent in Mzansi, and fresh methods are bamboozling motorists.

by Tom Head 2019-09-08

It’s a distinctively South African issue, and hijackings are one of the most terrifying crimes committed on our shores. But as methods to contain these thieves evolve, so do the underhand tactics used to carry out these crimes. The SA Police Service (SAPS) have revealed some devious new approaches employed by carjackers.

Devious new methods of hijackings

This comes after the authorities in North West were alerted to a spate of crimes involving “fake traffic officers”. According to the local branches, motorists in Mahikeng have been stung by thugs posing as cops. Once they get their targets to pullover, they proceed to steal the cars with the victim(s) still inside.

--“Following a number of carjacking incidents that were recently reported at various clusters within the province, police urge motorists to be cautious when travelling or stopping alongside the roads or when ordered to stop by other motorists as that could be hijacking suspects.”

-- “In some instances, particularly in Mahikeng Cluster, unsuspecting motorists were stopped, robbed of their valuables and their vehicles hijacked by people who pretended to be traffic or police officials. Motorists are requested to be vigilant and to report suspicious persons or vehicles at the nearest police stations.”

SAPS statement

How carjackers are operating

Their latest warning comes after they published a series of safety tips for motorists, to help them avoid any potential situations that could turn into a hijacking. However, it seems there are now multiple modus operandi that make life difficult for commuters – and police officers – across the country.

SAPS have highlighted the “fake traffic cops” method as their biggest concern.
However, if you need the toilet on your drive, it’d be better to wait until you find a safe location. Those ‘relieving themselves’ by the roadside have become increasingly vulnerable to hijackings.
Carjackers are also staging “minor accidents” in a bid to get motorists to pull over. They will gently clip the back or side of your car, and ask you to meet them in a layby – in this situation, SAPS advise drivers to insist on sorting the issue at “the nearest police station” and not next to the road.

Tips to avoid hijackings in South Africa

To avoid getting caught up in these hijackings, law enforcement representatives are asking drivers to get a little savvier when they hop behind the wheel. Small changes – such as taking different routes to preferred destinations and letting others know of your driving plans – are being encouraged.

SA Police Service

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Alf

Post by Alf »

One of my previous work colleagues was hi-jacked last week. He drove out of the parking area of a mall at night and not long after that saw blue lights flashing behind him. He pulled over thinking it's Police but then 6 guys surrounded the hilux bakkie and forced him out.

They took his wallet, cellphone, gun and bakkie and just left him there

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:evil:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is far too easy for a population of criminals with no moral nor ethics to stop them :evil:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

So that means, I'll just ignore any police like looking person and won't stop
if being flagged down... Might end up pretty hurtful for myself O-/

Geez. That is really tricky! /ou/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is O/

I could imagine that the presence of a car of the police could make a difference -O-

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”