It's so dusty, the animals can't see...*

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: It's so dusty, the animals can't see...

Post by Mel »

That afternoon we stayed in. We had planned to do the "big" loop to Twee Rivieren, up to Kij Kij and crossing the dune road the next day. Last year we had been on the road from morning till gate closing time because we had had splendid sightings. Things cannot be repeated but we were still curious if we would find anything at all.

The day ended so dusty, the animals couldn't see...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

28 October - Urikaruus

As mentioned before, today we wanted to do the loop down the Auob towards Twee Rivieren, up the Nossob until Kij Kij, crossing the lower dune road and back again. Last year we had seen some cheetah (Top Cat Gang and Ekon and Eileen) and also had an exciting sighting of a male pursuing some females with half-grown cubs which were were able to follow for 7 kays in almost 40°C and through a sandstorm. We were curious if we'd see anything at all this time around. lol

The day started off well with Charlie bringing out her offspring again.

Alas, this was the last time we would get to see them. Some stupid fellow countryman who stayed in no. 4 thought it fit to walk up almost into their den because he wanted better photos of them. (0!) Charlie would have none of that and moved to a different abode after that moron had done his deed twice (the evening before as well). 0= Our neighbours in no. 2 and we went totally d'accord with our assessment of that guy. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

We weren't particularly early leaving the camp - around 7 am but the timing was perfect because opposite Kamqua waterhole there is a hyena den and we spotted one of the spotties basking in the sun. She hardly moved and we were almost gone again when she finally lifted her head. And then it got terrific! O\/ I had taken a few shots of the hyena while lying down but only when enlarging the photo at home I noticed that she was suckling a youngster. Luckily, the little one started moving before we were on our way again.

This was the smallest hyena we had ever seen - and a very high cuteness factor going with it. :-0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I find it amazing that animals who can crack bones can be so patient with their little one...
It kept climbing up and down mum and mum never bat an eyelid.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Hyena pup overload... sorry... I can't make up my mind which one I find the cutest. lol

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

And then mum said "Show's over" ...

... and the little one had to make its way to bed for the day.

One last peak...

And a second last peak...

And then it was gone :-( But what a great sighting we had had there O\/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Once the little one was safely tucked away, mum went down to the waterhole to frighten a few of the locals. :twisted:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Owl check at Montrose ^Q^

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”