Social distancing in the Kgalagadi Oct/Nov 2020

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Social distancing in the Kgalagadi Oct/Nov 2020

Post by Mel »

That springbok skull is rather cruel to look at :twisted:

A honey badger sighting - yay!!!

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Wednesday 28 October 2020

Twee Rivieren has never been our camp of choice; we find it a bit too busy and a bit too far away from Kij Kij to get there early in the morning.
However, so far this trip, we were being proven wrong, with some pretty awesome sightings whilst being based at TR. Looking at the sunrise as we collected our permit, I wondered what the day would bring.
P1520979.JPG

To start off we saw a juvenile Martial in a tree at Samevloeiing, and wondered if it was the same bird as the one we saw yesterday. No photos as it was pretty far away

Gemsbok and Wildebeest are always interesting subjects to photograph, the gemsbok are so majestic
P1060346.JPG

Whilst the wildebeest are just the opposite, but still one of my favourite animals.
Only their mothers could love them
P1060350.JPG
P1060351.JPG

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Just past Leewdril, a small colony of suricates were on the left hand side of the road,

P1520985.JPG
P1060363.JPG

And this puff adder was crossing the road in front of us

P1520991.JPG
P1060369.JPG

Wishing I was in the KTP
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

P1060371.JPG

P1060376.JPG

Kij Kij provided us with another lion sighting, third day in a row, but this time they were fast asleep in the grass, not really visible and going nowhere

P1520993.JPG

So we carried on
Last edited by GavinW on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wishing I was in the KTP
Alf

Post by Alf »

Beautiful sunrise ^Q^ ^Q^

Nice pictures of the pofadder ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Meerkats! O/\ O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O Gavin!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lions already sleeping first thing in the morning 0- Lazy bunch! But at least they do something for the head count. And ever since I left with 8 lion sightings after two weeks I'm more pro lions again. lol (Still no competition to the cheetahs though...)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Great trip report Gavin ...gosh it seemed so dry when you were there. It is truly amazing how quickly the scenery can change.

"Twee Rivieren has never been our camp of choice; we find it a bit too busy and a bit too far away from Kij Kij to get there early in the morning."

We have had so many awesome sightings close to TR that we cannot not stay there. On this trip we had two nights at the beginning and three nights at the end of our trip. I added another 6 days on so we spent 9 nights at TR at the end of our trip. If I had not have done that we would have gone home with not many sightings at all. Lion, leopard, cheetah and hyena between Kij Kij and TR....with mating leopards 10km outside TR ..it doesn't get much better than that does it? At just over R300 a night camping it is an absolute bargain. :)

GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Michele Nel wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:42 pm
"Twee Rivieren has never been our camp of choice; we find it a bit too busy and a bit too far away from Kij Kij to get there early in the morning."

We have had so many awesome sightings close to TR that we cannot not stay there. On this trip we had two nights at the beginning and three nights at the end of our trip. I added another 6 days on so we spent 9 nights at TR at the end of our trip. If I had not have done that we would have gone home with not many sightings at all. Lion, leopard, cheetah and hyena between Kij Kij and TR....with mating leopards 10km outside TR ..it doesn't get much better than that does it? At just over R300 a night camping it is an absolute bargain. :)
I must admit, I must agree after this last trip..... More to come whilst based at TR.

Wishing I was in the KTP

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”