My Dream of Many Years Come True...Almost!

Lisbeth
Site Admin

My Dream of Many Years Come True...Almost!

Post by Lisbeth »

Unfortunately, I had to leave Hazyview one day early and stay overnight at OR Tambo due to flight schedules. It was a costly affair, but ones that you have said A you are forced to say B also. So I spent almost a day and a night at the City Lodge. At least I did not have to go out of the airport. As most of you know, I have become rather allergic to Joburg O**

In the morning I was nervous because I could not get hold of the Passenger Service in order to get a wheelchair from the hotel to my flight to Maun. The distances at the airports these days are kilometric :O^ How I hate the aloof behaviour of certain people who are supposed to be there to be of assistance but could not care less. “No, our porters are not allowed to enter the airport”, obvious nonsense because at the end I managed to get in contact with the right people and got a girl with a wheelchair AND a porter from the hotel with the luggage to accompany me to the flight. Ha! My last Rands disappeared in their pockets ;-)

Advice to anybody who might go to Botswana by air: Try to avoid Botswana Airways (stupid). First, they changed the schedules, which luckily did not get in the way for any of my other flights, and then a direct flight became a stopover one both ways without any warning. Going, it meant picking up luggage at the stopover and go through customs and security and then check in again to the domestic leg (roll) On the way back at least they let us stay on board. Never again!

On arrival to Maun service was almost exaggerated lol One person from AG, one from the Maun Tourist Org. and one from Mackair, one of the local companies flying from Maun to the various camps.
IMG_5767.JPG
I had been told that I could only carry a soft bag with me as those small aircraft do not have much luggage space, instead, there were no problems bringing both of my small suitcases. Somebody owes me € 50.00+€15.00 for the bag I had bought and the trouble to get it packed and fitted into one of the suitcases :twisted:

Getting on board is not an easy task, if you are not a very athletic dwarf lol
IMG_5768.JPG
Off we went and it was a very bumpy flight, luckily I managed to keep the nausea under control :shock: O-/
IMG_5769.JPG
IMG_5770.JPG
IMG_5771.JPG
There was a herd of elephants in one of the pics, but I cannot find it anymore 0*\

A first stop where a family of three and a staff member got off in a rather desert looking place. Then up again and the last stop was mine. The runway was bumpy as expected and It was great to get out of that sardine tin.

A young good looking guide from Mopiri Camp was waiting for me. We got into a Land Rover, drove a short piece of sand road and arrived at a safari boat.
IMG_5772.JPG
IMG_5773.JPG
IMG_5774.JPG
It did not take long before I heard singing. Surprised I saw the whole staff at the landing singing their hearts out.
IMG_5778.JPG
IMG_5779.JPG
Nice but not quite my taste as there was nothing spontaneous about it, even if they did their utmost. The best was a cold wet towel handed to me, when I put foot on the ground O:V

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: My Dream of Many Years come true...almost!

Post by Lisbeth »

I was taken to my tent, which luckily was the closest to the common facilities \O
mopiri-camp.jpg
IMG_5820(2).JPG
IMG_5821.JPG
IMG_5822.JPG
IMG_5823.JPG
The best thing about the bathroom was the floor of the shower made of painted bricks and there was no way that I could slip, which is my nightmare as there is never anything to hold on to ^Q^ ^Q^

The bed was excellent and the space was sufficient. Behind the beds, there was a nice space with lots of shelves and hangers for my two small suitcases of stuff. Also water, glasses, emergency lamp and also an emergency “sound maker” ;-)

Unfortunately, there wasn’t a view on the lagoon. It would have been enough to cut a few small palms, but I was told that it was prohibited to cut anything. I am not too sure that I believe this as they must have cut quite a lot when the place was built O**

The downside was a lack of light, but using only solar panels I suppose that it’s a must. The bedside lamp could have been better though; it was useless for reading and ugly and out of style with the rest :O^

I was supposed to go to the Setari Camp, but it ended up being booked up.

Later my personal guide, Vincent and I went out on a small sunset tour with sundowners on the lagoon. Very relaxing after a tiring trip.
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5782.JPG
IMG_5783.JPG
IMG_5785.JPG
IMG_5786.JPG
IMG_5788.JPG
There was a group of Americans staying at the Camp, but they were out on an overnight trip and only one lady had stayed behind and she was the one in the boat that we met.
IMG_5789.JPG
Last light of the day
IMG_5790.JPG
I must have been tired, but I did remember to take a pic of the filet steak for dinner and the desert. I don’t remember what the entree was. All beverages were free, which was a nice touch. After all, with the prices they charge it makes very little difference for them O**
IMG_5791.JPG
IMG_5793.JPG
The Location of the Mopiri Camp.docx
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 88 times

End of day one 0/*

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW Lisbeth,

everything looks fantastic - Dinner and accommodation O\/ O\/ O\/ What a treat \O

Totally right about the showers - Also one of my greatest nightmares is to slip as it can get indeed very slippery -O-

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Alf

Post by Alf »

Looks stunning ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

This place looks very good. And it's quite north almost panhandle O/\

Did you have your personal guide all to yourself?

I love the papyrus and the water lilies ^Q^
Last edited by Klipspringer on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

What an adventure, Lis! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

And brilliant pics! [O]

Nice food. :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Klipspringer wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:42 pm
Did you have your personal guide all to yourself?
I love the papyrus and the water lilies ^Q^
Yes, all to myself ;-) He was not only handsome, but also intelligent, knew his job and loved it. He was also very attentive and knew when I needed help. I became his "mother" confessor ;-)

The papyrus makes such a special effect :yes:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Pumbaa wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:43 pm
Totally right about the showers - Also one of my greatest nightmares is to slip as it can get indeed very slippery -O-
Glad to hear that it's not only a problem of mine \O Normally I have to use a towel as an anti-slippery mat lol

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Alf wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:16 pm Looks stunning ^Q^ ^Q^
Maybe stunning is a bit too much, Alfie ;-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Richprins wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm What an adventure, Lis! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

And brilliant pics! [O]

Nice food. :-0
The meat could have been more tender O** I know, I am terribly difficult 0*\

:ty: for the "brilliant pics" 0/0

Return to “Travel Tales of Botswana Parks”