One of my best holidays ever - DORDOGNE-Perigord, France

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: One of my best holidays ever - DORDOGNE-Perigord, France

Post by Lisbeth »

Le Jardin du Manoir d'Eyrignac

Before getting to the gardens we stopped for lunch at a very intimate special restaurant
001_1A.jpg
On the way we passed an ancient village wash house
005_5A.jpg
The Manoir d'Eyrignac is a 17th-century manor house in Salignac-Eyvigues, in the Dordogne department of France, surrounded by a recreated 18th-century Italian Renaissance garden and an elaborate topiary garden. The house is sited on top of a hill, with water coming from seven springs. Only a pavilion, fountains and basins remain from the original 18th-century garden. In the 1960s, the new owner, Giles Sermadiras de Cuzols de Lile, created the new garden, which features topiary sculptures, vistas, fountains, statues, and an allée of vases. The garden is listed by the Committee of Parks and Gardens of the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Notable Gardens of France.

With its gardens of greenery and flowers, Eyrignac is the vegetable jewel of the Black Perigord, a
enchanted parenthesis a few kilometers from Sarlat.

Around the 17th century manor house extends the French garden where perspective games and
the mastery of Nature stage the boxwood arabesques, the gushing fountains, the
water mirrors, lawn carpets, and the collection of hand-carved plant sculptures by the
gardeners of Eyrignac.

006_6A.jpg
007_7A.jpg
008_8A.jpg
009_9A.jpg
010_10A.jpg
011_11A.jpg
012_13.jpg
013_14.jpg
014_15.jpg
015_16.jpg
016_17.jpg
017_18.jpg
018_19.jpg
019_20.jpg
020_21.jpg
021_22.jpg
023_24.jpg
024_25.jpg
025_26.jpg
030_31.jpg
031_32.jpg
032_33.jpg
034_35.jpg

Fois Gras to be O** --00--
026_27.jpg

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^

I wonder what those houses cost, or do they belong to the state? -O- :-?

Must be quite a few gardeners full-time there! :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Most of them are private and manage financially showing off something. In this case the garden \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Stunning gardens!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW Lisbeth,

the garden looks extreme beautiful \O ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

002_3.jpg

Not only does Collonges-la-Rouge proudly proclaim the status as one of 'The Most Beautiful Villages in France', it's also the founder of the association.
Despite inhabitants putting down roots as early as the 8th century, the village became a stronghold of the Counts of Turenne by the 14th century and one of the largest fiefdoms in France.
Collonges's hallmark is undoubtedly its blazing red buildings (hence the name) built with sandstone rich in iron oxide, unusual for other areas in France but characteristic of parts of the region.
009_10.jpg
012_13A.jpg
004_5.jpg
003_4.jpg
Visitors can enjoy a stroll along the narrow alleyways fringed with these flamboyant medieval gems and draped with either clusters of grapes, lashings of wisteria or crowned with an elaborate tower.

Quintessentially French

With no less than 25 turrets peaking up amidst the meadows and chestnut and walnut orchards, the village successfully conjures the image of quintessential France. Beneath its lauzé roofs lay impressive manors and modest cottages as well as a beautiful church and a covered market.
Collonges-la-Rouge counts many impressive 15th and 16th century houses such as Ramade de Friac with its two watchtowers and Maison de la Sirène with its vaulted porch, period interior and mermaid sculpture. Visitors can continue to potter around the village and discover more architectural treasures like Château de Vassinhac Castle with its elegant mullioned windows or Château de Benge with its machicolation remains and beautiful Renaissance window.
1.Towers of Collonges.jpg
010_11.jpg
006_7.jpg
005_6.jpg
008_9.jpg

Special Treats

The village also offers a sprinkling of shops selling souvenirs so remember to make time for a bit of retail therapy. I bought a beautiful hand painted very big silk scarf in all the colours of blue, turquoise and green flowing into each other. It is now somewhere in South Africa “angry” Tucked away in the houses, dozens of artisans sell quality goods like organic produce and locally made apéritifs, wines and liqueurs… And as the village prospered from its vineyards until the end of the 19th century, wine's something the area knows how to produce (and drink...)
If you're not in the mood for shopping, it shouldn't be a problem finding a nice spot to sip on a vin paillé or feast on a 'salade de gesiers' as there's plenty of cafés and restaurants.
001_2.jpg
011_12.jpg
007_8.jpg
2. Sunny Terasse.jpg
An extraordinary place, where people live their daily life. There were not that many tourists, but then it was many years ago.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Beautiful buildings! O/\ O/\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Quite amazing, Lis! :shock:

How ancient and relatively undamaged after all the wars over 500 years! \O

Do you have a pic of the scarf, in case the SA police eventually catch the thieves? ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

=O: =O: =O:

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Amazing buildings and stunning shots, Lisbeth ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”