Safari industry focuses on surviving Covid-19

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Safari industry focuses on surviving Covid-19

Post by Lisbeth »

Covid-19: Ramaphosa set to speak to Boris Johnson over UK travel curbs

AFP

President Cyril Ramaphosa on Wednesday said he was due to speak to Prime Minister Boris Johnson after the UK imposed severe restrictions for travellers arriving from South Africa.

The UK has placed South Africa on its coronavirus "red list", forcing travellers into a pricey hotel quarantine on arrival.

"On the issue of the UK putting us on a red list, I think this is the most unfortunate situation that we have been subjected to," Ramaphosa told a news conference.

"I'm due to speak to Prime Minister Boris Johnson," he said.

He, however, said South Africa was not vengeful over the blacklisting, which has dealt a crippling blow to tourism, a key sector which directly accounts for three percent of the nation's economy.

"We don't have the need to retaliate... because the UK is an important trading partner to South Africa, one of the very important ones.

"We should rather engage, and through our engagement, we hope we will find a solution," he said, insisting that the decision to impose the travel restrictions was scientifically rather than politically driven.

Before the pandemic, more than 400 000 visitors a year flocked to South Africa from the former colonial power - more than any country outside of the continent.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

0()

from the former colonial power

-O- 0-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

When was UK "colonial power" ? It must be about 100 years ago. I think that someone sometimes gets it mixed up with the Apartheid O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Lord Peter Hain tells UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson that keeping South Africa on the Covid red list is ‘preposterous’

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article ... eposterous

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Ja, really annoying that fact! But we got lucky and British Airways extended our flight voucher until September 2023.
So, we're now looking at a different flight and I think it's safe to say that we're going to the KTP in April 2022.

:shock: :shock: :shock: but :-0

Oh, and we got fully reimbursed by SA for the second flight we had for 2020. ^Q^ We had that money already booked under Corona losses. lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

\O Mello!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It has turned out not too bad, Mel \O

I have started to look for a place to stay this coming Jan/Feb. The owner of the small chalet at Marloth does not answer my e-mails :-? Maybe I can find it on one of the booking sites -O-

There are no flights to Phalaborwa for the time being :-? Flying to Skukuza is almost as expensive as flying from Europe to SA 0- I'll have to do with Nelspruit and bring my pepper spray lol

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lisbeth wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:47 am Flying to Skukuza is almost as expensive as flying from Europe to SA
I can see flights for less the ZAR 1500,-- (one route). I kinda think, that's not too bad -O-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Return R 3000, is doable :yes: but still expensive.

I must have looked at a wrong place 0*\

In any case, I am going to wait. All kinds of things can happen in four months O**

nan

Post by nan »

Mel wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:47 am
Lisbeth wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:47 am Flying to Skukuza is almost as expensive as flying from Europe to SA
I can see flights for less the ZAR 1500,-- (one route). I kinda think, that's not too bad -O-
Mel wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:47 am
and one can have the car directly at Skukuza :yes:
I did that once and it was easier than drive all that kms... at risks
and still less expensive than the life ..0..

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”