De Hoop Nature Reserve

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: De Hoop Nature Reserve

Post by Klipspringer »

This trail sounds rather sportive :-0 Is there enough time to look around and investigate the plants?

graham

Post by graham »

Alf - two years ago.

Klipspringer - there is more than enough time to explore. The first two days are each about 15km. They say about 8 hours average but it depends on how fit one is. Also the afternoon heat on the first day is best avoided by making an early start. There are also two day trails (10km and 5km) which start in the same place. The shorter one is the Klipspringer Trail lol

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

graham wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:00 pm
Dzombo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:07 am Have you done the Otter Trail and how does it compare??
Dzombo, Although I haven't done the Otter Trail, I expect you will find the Whale Trail quite different. First of all no need to carry a heavy pack as you hire a large plastic container which gets transported from place to place for you. This in turn means better food and "refreshments" O/\ . I expect the accommodation is more sophisticated as well. The overnight facilities are fairly well kitted out with utensils, cutlery, crockery etc. The vegetation would be quite different as well. On the Whale Trail you have fynbos for the first two days with some unique plants and no trees until you reach the overnight accommodation. You soon realise the importance of flies as pollinators too! After that it is rugged coastline with some long sandy beaches.

It is a must do if ever you get the opportunity.
Thanks for the info.

I did the Otter 5 years ago (time flies).
Swore I would never do it again.
But this seems like a good option.
I like the idea that your kit gets taken from overnight to overnight for you. That was the most difficult part of the Otter. Carrying everything in the backpack.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Western Cape Province Game Parks & Nature Reserves”