SA School Holidays 2021 (Amended)- 2024

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: SA School Holidays 2021 (Amended)

Post by Lisbeth »

I suppose that 1st and 2nd are holidays ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Probably. But my problem wasn't why it's not the first of May. It was the weird starting date 13th April which is in the middle of the month. Usually, bookings would open 11 months before you want to stay. So April 2021 for March 2022. Moving the 1st of April to the 13th could also mean that they allowed bookings 11.5 months in order for people to be able to book for a school holiday that starts in March and goes into April. Has happened before.

Hope that makes sense 0*\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It does :yes: and even if it doesn't....... O** --00--

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

=O: =O: =O:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Why basic education dept wants to scrap October school holiday
accreditation
Jenni Evans

Schools are due to go on holiday from 1 October, but the department is proposing it be cancelled.

The Department of Basic Education is considering cancelling the October school holiday to make up for days lost during the Covid-19 disruptions.

"It is the right thing," spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga told News24.

Schools are due to go on holiday from 1 October, but the department is proposing it be cancelled.

Instead, 4 to 8 October will be used to make up for time lost.

"Children must be given as much time to learn as possible," he said.

Mhlanga said the alternative would be the prospect of a "lost generation" of people who missed out on vital learning years.

Unicef said some pupils are between 75 percent and an entire school year behind where they should be, according to the latest statistics. It was attributed to rotational attendance, sporadic school closures, and days off for specific grades, leading to school children losing 54 percent of learning time.

The department is still consulting unions and, if the plan goes ahead to cancel the holiday, the decision will be published in the government gazette.

In a newsletter, the teachers union, SA Onderwysers Unie (SAOU), expressed its dismay at the decision.

It considers the plan "absolutely unacceptable".

The SAOU said:
The absolute fixation to insist on the normal 200 school days per annum, despite the fact that the world is experiencing an extraordinary period, as a result of the Covid pandemic, makes no sense whatsoever.

"Many educators and learners are emotionally drained as a result of the continuous stress due to Covid-19, the continuous risk of infections and the pressure to complete the curriculum," the SAOU said.

They said the attention-span of pupils, especially younger pupils, is limited. They add that proper rest is needed.

The SAOU said many families would already have spent money on plans for the holiday, and the holiday industry would suffer even more.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... y-20210816

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Whatever the governmental decision, the unions must be against it :O^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Whereas I can see the argument to use school holidays to catch up a little (although, I think everyone will have to admit that 5 days are nothing in the greater scheme 0- ), as a teacher I'd go ballistic. The last 1 1/3 school year have been the toughest for everyone involved. Including parents obviously. But if governments want to make sure that at least the school days in between the holidays - no matter if it's organised at home schooling, alternating groups or full classes - are managed by teachers and appreciated by learners in a halfway decent manner, they should not touch the holidays. Rather offer additional learning possibilities that are conducted by volunteers like pensioners or students. 0'

And furthermore I cannot understand how school holidays have been rearranged in SA for the past 15 or so months. Lots of people will have made plans for the holidays already, I guess -O-

PJL

Post by PJL »

The problem here in SA is that there has been quite a big disparity between schools. Some have had classes back full time, managing to put 'measures' in place to allow it, whereas others have had kids going in every other day. Naturally that's caused some to be a long way behind and so it might be very helpful for them to catch up. But for those who have been full time plus online etc they are exhausted already and certainly need the break!

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

5 days will make no difference to learning. Teachers need the break, and the Dimwits have made plans, for example! O/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

A very altruistic point of view O** lol --00--

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”