Editing High ISO Photography

Discuss the technical side of photography
PRWIN

Editing High ISO Photography

Post by PRWIN »

Recently and on a couple of other occasions I have had to photograph at a Very ISO. Between 6400 and 56000.

LR and PS have had some software that does eliminate this ,but also smoothed the photo out and you lose detail. :shock:

What I have found, If you use LR, Topaz De Noise, PS and back to LR you can get a fairly decent photo.

The photo is also at a 50% crop which will make the noise worse.

As shot ISO 16000
8F5C9462.jpg
LR ,topaz De Noise, PS and LR edited
8F5C9462-Edit as Smart Object-1-2.jpg

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Peter Betts

Re: Editing High ISO Photography

Post by Peter Betts »

Pete Why at such High ISO ..must have been Midnight down a coal mine ?? :-0 ..I have slow wild life lenses F5.6 and my last one F6.3 and I never go above 2400 ISO and 95% below 1000 ISO and I tend to only shoot at or about Sunrise /Sunset and camera put away @ 09h00 for the day . In fact I limit my ISO to Max 3200 ..But with the Nikon Mirrorless I will up that as there is no noise below 6400 now so when my Wild Life lens is purchased in New Year (Sigma 60-600 F6.3 (Again ) adatptor to fit Z Mount I will let the upper limit go to 6400. I shoot at low shutterspeeds in mirrorless the IBIS is fantastic and the new Ze Camera and Z lenses are a treat in Low light

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I am also seriously considering dropping my Adobe Subscription which gives me PS CC and LR CC @ $ 9.90 a month at todays rate read R 200 plus a month and I have nevver used the Light room part and I only use about 1.5% of Photo shop and cutting down costs for retirement ..Dropped Vitality , Gym , etc etc and now looking at other stuff like dropping Adobe and getting Luminar 4 ..R 3000 1 time ..DONE forever

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Peter Betts wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:49 pm Pete Why at such High ISO ..must have been Midnight down a coal mine ?? :-0 ..I have slow wild life lenses F5.6 and my last one F6.3 and I never go above 2400 ISO and 95% below 1000 ISO and I tend to only shoot at or about Sunrise /Sunset and camera put away @ 09h00 for the day . In fact I limit my ISO to Max 3200 ..But with the Nikon Mirrorless I will up that as there is no noise below 6400 now so when my Wild Life lens is purchased in New Year (Sigma 60-600 F6.3 (Again ) adatptor to fit Z Mount I will let the upper limit go to 6400. I shoot at low shutterspeeds in mirrorless the IBIS is fantastic and the new Ze Camera and Z lenses are a treat in Low light
=O: =O: =O:

Peter unfortunatly these photo where taken before the Sun had not even come out. It was first light and I mean first light where you could just start to get some contrast between the subject and the background .I have a set of a kill also taken very early which I am working towards , where 6 lions pulled down a wildebeest right next to the road at Mopani. I normally set the speed I want and let the ISO take care of it's self, hence early morning action shots end up with a high ISO. I saw a great video that is worth looking at on Digatil processing noise and camera noise.

Here is the link
Last edited by PRWIN on Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Peter Betts wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 pm I am also seriously considering dropping my Adobe Subscription which gives me PS CC and LR CC @ $ 9.90 a month at todays rate read R 200 plus a month and I have nevver used the Light room part and I only use about 1.5% of Photo shop and cutting down costs for retirement ..Dropped Vitality , Gym , etc etc and now looking at other stuff like dropping Adobe and getting Luminar 4 ..R 3000 1 time ..DONE forever
I,m using a old version of LR and PS. Not interested in the monthly subscription, Total rip off. I have not looked at Luminar 4 .Topaz De Noise used with LR works quite well

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

PRWIN wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:22 pm
Peter Betts wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:49 pm Pete Why at such High ISO ..must have been Midnight down a coal mine ?? :-0 ..I have slow wild life lenses F5.6 and my last one F6.3 and I never go above 2400 ISO and 95% below 1000 ISO and I tend to only shoot at or about Sunrise /Sunset and camera put away @ 09h00 for the day . In fact I limit my ISO to Max 3200 ..But with the Nikon Mirrorless I will up that as there is no noise below 6400 now so when my Wild Life lens is purchased in New Year (Sigma 60-600 F6.3 (Again ) adatptor to fit Z Mount I will let the upper limit go to 6400. I shoot at low shutterspeeds in mirrorless the IBIS is fantastic and the new Ze Camera and Z lenses are a treat in Low light
=O: =O: =O:

Peter unfortunatly these photo where taken before the Sun had not even come out. It was first light and I mean first light where you could just start to get some contrast between the subject and the background .I have a set of a kill also taken very early which I am working towards , where 6 lions pulled down a wildebeest right next to the road at Mopani. I normally set the speed I want and let the ISO take care of it's self, hence early morning action shots end up with a high ISO. I saw a great video that is worth looking at on Digatil processing noise and camera noise.

Here is the link
Agree but I hate noise and yes as I say at Rooiputs and Kruger my best shots are 25 mins to actual sunrise but in order to keeo noise low as possible ..I go slow as hell on the Shutter Speed and the ISO only wants to then go to max 3200 ISO ..My 10 kg Bean bag is my best friend and now with Mirrorless and a Z mount I will be able to crank the SS up a bit from say 1/20th Sec to say 1.125th Sec 10 mins before sunrise ..giving higher ISO but same or less noise than my old DSLR 'Noise killing' D850 which in hindsight cant compare to the Z7 I now use in the Noise handling dept ..Thanks for the Video ..I will enjoy watching later on tonight

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Peter same process as the last lot

Taken at ISO 25600
_F5F6681.jpg
after adding Noise reduction
_F5F6681-Edit as Smart Object-1-2-2.jpg

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”