Early and late Light shooting

Discuss the technical side of photography
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Early and late Light shooting

Post by Lisbeth »

The light on the lioness is all natural? :shock: Sunrise?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:09 pm The light on the lioness is all natural? :shock: Sunrise?
Yip all natural ..Dappled Sunlight/shadows (Timing) 5 mins after sunrise ..The catchlight in the Eye is the low lying sun behind me (Position Position as the Estate Agent says =O: =O: )

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Indeed beautiful light on the meerkat and the lioness ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Do you ever do any postprocessing, Peter?

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Klipspringer wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm Indeed beautiful light on the meerkat and the lioness ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Do you ever do any postprocessing, Peter?
Yes I shoot in RAW so I have to convert my images to Jpeg and that can include a small Saturation and Dehaze slider here and there ..Once converted I may do Highlights and Shadows on their sliders in Photoshop to brighten the details in shadows to make it like what the human eye saw at the time mostly not necessary IF I Manually expose properly = much easier on Mirrorless as you see what you are going to get before you press the button , something that was impossible on my ex DSLR's (No Camera can do what the eye can see ) I could use a Flash on these But I NEVER use Flash on Wild animals or Pets for that Matter ..Just not right . I then reduce in size for entering Salons and sharpen slightly but I am finding that the New Nikon Lenses on the Z Mount Mirrorless Cameras Sharpening is not Necessary then I reduce further for Africa Wild , Flickr, and the web and put my tiny Signature on the extreme Bottom right..
Last edited by Peter Betts on Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

:ty: Peter

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

This Lioness is the same one in both images. The one was 20 mins before Sunrise as I followed her on my own from Rooiputs going North > The 2nd was taken 25 mins later in perfect Dappled light 5 mins after actual sunrise still on my own (Thank you 5 cheetah with Kill at Samevloeing which Kept the Twee Rivieren Dakar Rally brigade busy while I had peace and quiet to practice my hobby with this BEAUTIFUL LIONESS.. Both Pics need a CLICK to bring out the natural colours and both were illuminated by the available Ambient Light to observe ethical best practice with this magnificent beast
Pre Sunrise Visitor.jpg
Lioness in Dappled Light.jpg

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

[O]

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

Taken at first light in the Kgalagadi February this year
_F5G3266 as Smart Object-1-2.jpg

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Superb, Peter! ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Wow! He is also a beaut ;-)

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”