A day visit with friends *

Bushcraft

A day visit with friends *

Post by Bushcraft »

Hey guys,

Not sure if this should be under gatherings as it’s a short TT and a meet in one.

I met an ex AW and SPF member, Kamadejo, in Kruger last year and the families became instant mates, so when I heard that they were coming back to SA for another Kruger trip and then down to St Lucia at the end of July for a few days, we made a plan to meet up in the St Lucia area.

I had already used up all my leave for Kruger trips, so the best that I could do was to book accommodation in St Lucia for the Saturday night in the same resort as Kamadejo and managed to get the last unit available, so the meet was on.

The plan was to meet up on Saturday morning at the Nyalazi entrance gate to Imfolozi at around 7:30am, spend a few hours in the park and then head down to St Lucia after lunch for a braai and the Cow’s potato bake.

Imfolozi is about three and half hour’s drive from my spot, so the day started rather early for my clan and the normal drama unfolded trying to load the rats in the car, but we were eventually on the road at around 3:30am.

Our first sighting was 2 rhino on the way to the gate, but the cameras were still packed away, so the Cow snapped a pic with her phone.

We arrived at about 7:15am and Kamadejo at 7:30am exactly.

It was great to meet old mates again and after chatting for a few minutes it became apparent that the rats and Kamadejo (Jnr) would develop their own form of sign language.

After a nice chat and the admission out the way, we were on our way into the park.

Our first sighting, although I completely missed it, was 2 lions cooling off in the bush about 70m from the road. Kamadejo’s SO pulled up next to us and shared the information, so we all reversed back up the hill to get a view.

I was fairly keen to pull out my camera, until I spotted Kamadejo’s bazooka pointing out their car, so there are probably way better pics of the sighting then ours below.

Next up were a few of RP’s Kruger cousins cooling off in the KZN bush.

Just before Mpila camp we found a few buffalo next to the road, but the Cow and Hawkeyes only managed pics of their legs, before they ducked into deep cover.

The plan from Mpila was to head down to Mpafa hide, but this turned out to be mistake, because Imfolozi was having some fund raising thing happening and we spent most of our time ducking cars on the way down.

The hide was still fairly busy, but we managed to find a spot to check out the hide locals. The croc was busy eating something, but it was hard to see exactly what it was.

There was a cold wind roaring through the hide, so we decided to continue on towards the famous wild dog area of 25, but no wild dogs and only a few kudu, giraffe and some green bird that got the Cow excited on the way.

We continued up the 21 towards Bhejane hide, but about halfway we found our first elephant of the day and he was parking off in the middle of the road.

Some of the Imfolozi elephants are crazy, so we both stopped a fair distance from him to judge his mood, which seemed cool, so I slowly sneaked forward, which as per usual got the Cow going, but the ellie didn’t seem interested in us and moved off the road, so I continued on and stopped where he had entered the bush.

He hadn’t gone far and immediately turned on us so I had to move off fairly fast, which I’m sure caused Kamadejo and family some amusement.

The ellie was now between us, but after a closer look decided to move off, which allowed us to continue up to the Bhejane hide.

The usual gang were at the hide, but it was sad to see so little water in the dam.

We relaxed for awhile, but the rats soon became bored and start taking pics of each other, so we joined in.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Re: A day visit with friends

Post by Bushcraft »

Continuing

By now, I was totally ravenous, so it was time to head off towards Sontuli picnic site for an early lunch time braai.

Next up we found some vultures and a Barbet by a little waterhole on the way to No. 17.

The view site just before 17 produced a few more lion, but they were far off sunning on rocks, so I gave up trying for a pic after a few attempts that can be seen, or not seen, below, but Kamadejo’s SO had to stand still and not breathe so that she could get a good shot using his shoulder as a stabilizing device.

I looked at the Cow hoping that she would follow this example, but only got a hairy eyeball.

Sontuli picnic site is always a cool spot to relax, braai and have a few labels (drinking still permitted at Imfolozi picnic sites)

My 2 small rats and Kamadejo JNR enjoyed some time out the car and seemed to continue with a more advanced form of sign language.

After a nice leisurely braai, we decided it was time to move on again. Hawkeyes was in her element because her sisters had begged to drive with Kamadejo, so she had the whole back seat to herself, she couldn’t stop jabbering her pleasure for the rest of the drive.

Just at the end of Sontuli loop, we spotted the lions again, they had moved into the river bed, so we decided to stop at the view point for a few more attempts at a pic.

It was now time to say goodbye to Imfolozi and head on down to St Lucia, but on our way back through Mpila camp we found a few strange creatures cruising around.

At our accommodation I proceeded to construct another fire and Kamadejo’s SO surprised me with a bottle of Gin as a gift and Kamadejo spoilt the Cow with women’s gifts.

The clan of rats enjoyed their chow instead, which gave the adults peace to chat outside, but soon eyes were closing, which is always a welcome time for a few more labels.

The fire and chat continued long after supper and I successfully burnt my 4 bags of wood and then Kamadejo’s SO’s bag and a half.

The morning goodbyes were tough, but at about 11am we finally got on the road, which resulted in Albert howling half the way home.

The end

The one thing that I have learnt on this forum is that people come and go for personal reasons, but lifetime friendships can be made.

Return to “Travel Tales of Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”