Mokala National Park

somabhula

Mokala National Park

Post by somabhula »

As some some of you know, I do not do the usual trip reports, so here are some photo's and a brief report on Mokala. 5 nights (Nov) we camped, small campsite 6 sites in all arranged in a half circle shape overlooking a small waterhole. Waterhole may have more water, etc depending on time of year and rains. No electricity, but your own small ablution block, shower, toilet, washing up and a food preparation area all under cover. Soil at campsite is red, so prepare for dust and when wet sticks to everything. Sites are separated by dead tree stumps, have a usual Sanparks braai and some had a picnic table and bench. The two main camps looked very clean and tidy, small shops for the usual, cool drinks, wood, ice, etc. Access roads do not belong to Sanparks and just before we got there a large storm had passed through and the Hopetown side road into the park had a number of washaways, the road on the Kimberley side is a different strata and full of corrugations, but there were no washaways. Sanparks were grading the parks interior roads. Game viewing was more than adequate, but far off the road and appeared very skittish. Some of the more common birds seen, but not as many as expected.
Yes the park does have black Springbok!!!

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
Peter Betts

Re: Mokala National Park

Post by Peter Betts »

Why does Mokala have a Non resident scientifically modified for the Mounted on the Wall trophy Brigade Springbok>> Black Springbok

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

Plenty game breeding outfits in the area, possible escapees? or remnants of the ones left behind when Mokala was declared. There are a number of Springbok with strange streaked and mottled coats.

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
somabhula

Mokala National Park

Post by somabhula »

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

100_1255.jpg
IMGP0998.jpg
IMGP1019.jpg

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

IMGP1013.jpg
IMGP1052.jpg

IMGP1025.jpg

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

IMGP1057.jpg
IMGP1069.jpg

IMGP1059.jpg

IMGP1023.jpg

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

IMGP1068.jpg
IMGP1066.jpg

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

IMGP1063.jpg
IMGP0995.jpg
IMGP1043.jpg

somabhula

Post by somabhula »

IMGP1042.jpg
IMGP1033.jpg

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”